Dropped it

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Beagle

Dropped it

Post by Beagle »

[size=13px]Bike went down yesterday. I stopped to check why our helmets had lost bluetooth. Took mine off and swmbo thought it was a signal to get off. I wasn't ready and the bike and us slowly lowered to the ground. Fortunately had BMW head protectors and the panniers had car bumper foam protectors on the lower bit. The only damage is a tiny bit of rough on the plastic strip in the head protector. I think I will replace it as its a bad memory but to be honest a blind man on a fast horse wouldn't notice it.[/size][size=13px][size=13px][size=13px]Couldnt lift the bike up on my own but between us we managed it.[/size]
horand

Re: Dropped it

Post by horand »

Sorry to hear that.
It happens to the best of us!
On one occasion on a previous RT I thought I had applied the side stand and I leaned it over and of course over it went!
I’m a hell of a lot more careful now and look for the side stand now rather than feeling for it with my foot.
All the best.

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

horand wrote: Sorry to hear that.
It happens to the best of us!
On one occasion on a previous RT I thought I had applied the side stand and I leaned it over and of course over it went!
I’m a hell of a lot more careful now and look for the side stand now rather than feeling for it with my foot.
All the best.

Thanks for that.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Glad you're both ok! I've dropped my RT & GS in the past, GS going through a Ford quite recently actually lol as long as no one gets injured, that's all that matters 👍
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

About 8 years ago I was riding with a mate along a single track tarmac road on my GS. The road went round to the right and I was more interested in what was in the field rather than were I was going. When I finally decided to pay attention I was heading off the road towards a grass verge. Now this was only at 20 mph and riding a GS I thought no reason to panic just wanderer off onto the grass let the bike have a wobble and get back onto the road. Well the grass verge was really soft. The bike dug in, threw on full right lock and abruptly stopped. The GS spun very nicely on the right cylinder head 180 degrees. When I got myself off the deck and finished swearing I thought to myself that wasn't meant to happen. My mate pissed him self laughing. Luckily the cylinder head protector saved the day.

As Simbo says as long as no one gets hurt it doesn't really matter. I think dropping a bike is inevitable. I have crashed two bikes in twenty years both going around wet righthand corners, one on the road and the other on a track. What have I learnt ? When it rains I now only go around lefthand corners !  :)
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Glad that the pair of you are ok. These things happen, but the bike is easy to fix.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Hey maybe we can start a club !!!! i dropped my RTLE scuffed the head (not too bad ) so now have head covers , i agree its so easily done , when i owned my GXR1100 just filled with petrol and walked away to pay and crash !!!! she was not on the stand correctly what a swine to lift good job a fellow helped me to right it !!!! thats another reason i bought a BMW instead of a Harley Electra -Glide what a weight they are !!!!
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Thanks again guys,

My wife got back on like nothing had happened despite me standing on her finger and making it bleed a little. Not many 72 year olds with a hip replacement would do that methinks.
Last edited by Beagle on Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2383

Post by guest2383 »

Glad everyone is OK.You're not the first and certainly not the last to drop an RT - dropped mine last year in Scotland in a car park when I had stopped - didn't think to have the damned bike facing up the gradient - just across it and allowed gravity to do the rest (IDIOT that I am!)New cylinder head and pannier cover for a stupid mistake.Plus the embarassment of it all :alas:
Result ............

I must not stop in such a stupid position.
I must not stop in such a stupid position............
Last edited by guest2383 on Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Beagle wrote: Bike went down yesterday. I stopped to check why our helmets had lost bluetooth. Took mine off and swmbo thought it was a signal to get off. I wasn't ready and the bike and us slowly lowered to the ground. Fortunately had BMW head protectors and the panniers had car bumper foam protectors on the lower bit. The only damage is a tiny bit of rough on the plastic strip in the head protector. I think I will replace it as its a bad memory but to be honest a blind man on a fast horse wouldn't notice it.[/font][/size]Couldnt lift the bike up on my own but between us we managed it.

Glad the only marks are on the bits to stop the expensive bits getting marks.  I only came up with the bumper strips AFTER I dropped mine, but they cover the scratches nicely.  As you say, the scuff to the cylinder head protector is only noticeable up close.  Glad you are both okay though, that's what's important.  I got mine back up by putting my back against it, but knackered my wrist in the process.  Recovered eventually.  Take it easy!
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Sprintgull wrote:
Glad the only marks are on the bits to stop the expensive bits getting marks.  I only came up with the bumper strips AFTER I dropped mine, but they cover the scratches nicely.  As you say, the scuff to the cylinder head protector is only noticeable up close.  Glad you are both okay though, that's what's important.  I got mine back up by putting my back against it, but knackered my wrist in the process.  Recovered eventually.  Take it easy!

Really appreciate the comments made. Had a very pleasant ride today to the village of Downham ( Where Born and Bred tv series was filmed) then through the Ribble valley. Loads of bikes out.