General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Douglas
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2019
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time
Gibraltar

Re: R1250RT brake fault

Post by Douglas »

Went to my dealer yesterday and they have placed an order for a new brake calliper. They didn't argue much when they saw the state of the wheel, although the calliper in itself was all dry. Seems I am in luck. The part should be available on September 7th so I will see how it goes.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Douglas wrote: Went to my dealer yesterday and they have placed an order for a new brake calliper. They didn't argue much when they saw the state of the wheel, although the calliper in itself was all dry. Seems I am in luck. The part should be available on September 7th so I will see how it goes.
I wouldn't say you are 'in luck'. It shouldn't have leaked and the BMW dealer is just doing their job.
Douglas
Gibraltar

Post by Douglas »

Just had the faulty calliper replaced by my dealer. Guess what, the calliper is not leaking any brake fluid but the puffs of brake dust over my front right rim are happening all over again. Has anybody out there got the same problem or knows what the problem could be due to ?? Starting to get on my nerves this thing is.

I have had my fair share of bikes but I have never had this occur to me before. I would appreciate some feedback before going back to the dealers.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I've covered nearly 3k now, never seen any brake dust or if there is I haven't noticed it. Did 150 miles yesterday and just checked my front rim, no dust,
Douglas
Gibraltar

Post by Douglas »

Thanks Casbar, I have also checked other RT 1250's and the wheel rims do not show the puffs of brake dust that my wheel shows.

Anybody else out there with my same problem or knows why this is happening??
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Douglas wrote: Thanks Casbar, I have also checked other RT 1250's and the wheel rims do not show the puffs of brake dust that my wheel shows.

Anybody else out there with my same problem or knows why this is happening??

have you pictures? I cant visualise what you are describing?
Douglas
Gibraltar

Post by Douglas »

Hi Bandytales,

I haven't got a smart phone to be able to take a picture and post it. It's a bit difficult to explain but if you can visualise loads of small elongated puffs of black dust, interspersed all along the circumference of the wheel rim, you have it spot on. To be fair, the replacement calliper does not leak brake fluid, like the original did, but the puffs of brake dust are there all the same. If I manage to get my hands on a smart phone I will try and post a picture.
Malcvtr

Post by Malcvtr »

Yep, I get the brake dust on mine, but there's no sign of fluid leak. I didn't perceive it as a problem apart from cleaning :D

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

thwak
Canada

Post by thwak »

I have about 7500 kms on mine and have noticed more black brake dust than I ever experienced on my previous ride, a 2012 R1200GS with Brembos on the front. I haven't noticed any fluid leakage.
2019 R1250 RT
Douglas
Gibraltar

Post by Douglas »

Did about 300km last weekend. Got to cleaning the brake dust off the front wheel and also dabbed the insides of the "new" front calliper with a small piece of toilet paper. To my surprise I could see small brown stains of brake fluid mixed with the black of the brake dust. I am back to square one as I suspect that the "new" brake calliper is also leaking brake fluid. I will use it a bit more to see if this carries on and if it does, it's back to the dealers.
Rick B

Post by Rick B »

Not sure if anyone's seen this,He's a BMW tech showing that theres a common fault on the new brakes possibly the  seals
Starts around 2.20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbq4Id6AOr8
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Rick B wrote: Not sure if anyone's seen this,He's a BMW tech showing that theres a common fault on the new brakes possibly the  seals
Starts around 2.20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbq4Id6AOr8

Well he doesn't seem to concerned about it. I wouldn't say its a common fault, think on UKGSER there have been about 8 people with issues and on here possibly the same, so not sure what proportion have the issue. Mine has been fine and my local dealer hasn't seen any or hadn't a month ago.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Casbar wrote:
Well he doesn't seem to concerned about it. I wouldn't say its a common fault, think on UKGSER there have been about 8 people with issues and on here possibly the same, so not sure what proportion have the issue. Mine has been fine and my local dealer hasn't seen any or hadn't a month ago.

My dealer had two or three other bikes in at the same time as mine.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Maybe so, but out of the total of GS, GSA and RTs sold wonder how many had issues. I know at least 10 people with new bikes that haven't had any issues at all.
Douglas
Gibraltar

Post by Douglas »

Hi Rick B, thanks for the video. I will dismantle my callipers this week and see if they have the same problem.