2018 RTLE Handling.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
PhilMill

2018 RTLE Handling.

Post by PhilMill »

Hi All, so I've had the RT for 8 months now and have done 3000 miles, I still feel the handling is wrong somehow. I had a 2016 1200RS before and loved riding it but the wife didn't.  :not:

Slow speeds on the RT is hard to keep in a straight line and it feels like it has tight head bearings, I know the steering damper will change the way it feels but the RS had the same damper. I had a mate sit on the bike so the front wheel was in the air and the front isn't notchy but is tight, you have to put a fair amount of force to move the bars in any position.

Does anybody else notice these symptoms, is just me?? or is it just the RT forks and fairing!

Thanks. Phil
Too many bikes, not enough time!
guest4915

Re: 2018 RTLE Handling.

Post by guest4915 »

No, the RT steering is very light and particularly at low speeds. If it's difficult to keep in a straight line you're either gripping the bars too tightly or there's a problem with the bike.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

You have to adopt some slow riding skills, such as keep power on and use some back brake as well as clutch control, but I have never experienced what you are describing either with my 2014 or my 1250. The first time I took my 2014 onto the Chunnel when loading had a bit of a weave until I balanced it with the rear brake, but never noticed anything since and been on the train loads of times.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Tyres okay?  I've got a 2016 and have never felt anything odd.
austin1964

Post by austin1964 »

Like Sprintgull, tyres 2.9 bar in the back 2.5 in front...depending on how it's ridden, roads, how it's been stored etc. Will give a idea of tyres condition...
What's on it now, can you send pictures...tyres should be fairly curved without cupping from your description sounds like the front is beyond useful life

Go and treat yourself to a set of Metz Tech 01's and see the difference
Last edited by austin1964 on Wed May 08, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
austin1964

Post by austin1964 »

I have had the same bike same year, it's got 10000 miles on it...set of z8's which the bike came with changed at 5000 ish and the tech 01's looking cupped starting to handle a bit rubbish when in slow situations e.g. filtering
Loads of of tread left but it don't matter they are knackered....way I ride, type of riding and long days etc.
Road Pilot 4 are good as will be make sure you get GT's
Last edited by austin1964 on Wed May 08, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

PhilMill wrote: Hi All, so I've had the RT for 8 months now and have done 3000 miles, I still feel the handling is wrong somehow. I had a 2016 1200RS before and loved riding it but the wife didn't.  :not:

Slow speeds on the RT is hard to keep in a straight line and it feels like it has tight head bearings, I know the steering damper will change the way it feels but the RS had the same damper. I had a mate sit on the bike so the front wheel was in the air and the front isn't notchy but is tight, you have to put a fair amount of force to move the bars in any position.

Does anybody else notice these symptoms, is just me?? or is it just the RT forks and fairing!

Thanks. Phil

Hi Phil, my 2017RT handled like crap from new. I played around with tyre pressures and all to no avail. The bike didn't track well at all. It followed every road irregularity and I almost sold the bike.
However I have done 2 things which has made the bike much nicer to use (still not as sweet as my 1150, but that is another matter).
1/. I had the suspension potentiometer recalibrated. This yielded a significant improvement.
2/. I changed the tyres. My original tyres looked great, span true and were undamaged. They were Michelin PR4's. I took them off and have been running with Metzeler Z8's.The bike handles MUCH better now.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

bandytales wrote:
Hi Phil, my 2017RT handled like crap from new. I played around with tyre pressures and all to no avail. The bike didn't track well at all. It followed every road irregularity and I almost sold the bike.
However I have done 2 things which has made the bike much nicer to use (still not as sweet as my 1150, but that is another matter).
1/. I had the suspension potentiometer recalibrated. This yielded a significant improvement.
2/. I changed the tyres. My original tyres looked great, span true and were undamaged. They were Michelin PR4's. I took them off and have been running with Metzeler Z8's.The bike handles MUCH better now.

How do you get the suspension potentiometer recalibrated? Also, without getting into the tyres thing, for 18k on my 2014 I ran PR4GTs thought they were brilliant. My new 1250 has Z8s, they will be coming off if they don't improve, nowhere near as sure footed as the PR4s, so guess it depends on the style and way you ride. I also thought the Z8s were an old tyre model and had been superseded, so was surprised to see BMW still fitting them to new bikes, but maybe that isn't correct.

Getting back to the OP issue, didn't think about tyre wear and cupping, could very well be an issue. I used to run the fronts at 38psi and rear 42psi, on the advice of Michelin, that did help with the cupping, but the front was still cupped with 3mm of tread left.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Casbar wrote: How do you get the suspension potentiometer recalibrated?
I believe it can be done on the GS911. At that time the bike was under warranty so the guys as CW's did it (software stuff).
Casbar wrote: Also, without getting into the tyres thing, for 18k on my 2014 I ran PR4GTs thought they were brilliant. My new 1250 has Z8s, they will be coming off if they don't improve, nowhere near as sure footed as the PR4s,
Weird isn't it.
Casbar wrote:so guess it depends on the style and way you ride.
I don't think it's riding style at all. The bike basically behaved like crap in a straight line. There is no style involved there at all. Maybe just a bad tyre??
Casbar wrote:I also thought the Z8s were an old tyre model and had been superseded, so was surprised to see BMW still fitting them to new bikes, but maybe that isn't correct
...Old style tyre...interesting. I am coming to the opinion that each new iteration of a design CANNOT be better than what has gone before, because we would be seeing a significant change in the life of a tyre, or how far we lean a given bike over, of a whole raft of other variables that would improve. However, we don't. Generally any new tyre [after scrubbing - in] (whatever brand) will always feel so much better because it is a good profile and the 'rubber' is still fresh.
Last edited by bandytales on Wed May 08, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

At risk of adding fuel to the tyre fire, mine came with Z8s which I hated, and have been on PR4GTs since which are better for me.  Each to their own....  Weird though isn't it?
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

bandytales wrote: I believe it can be done on the GS911. At that time the bike was under warranty so the guys as CW's did it (software stuff).
Weird isn't it.
I don't think it's riding style at all. The bike basically behaved like crap in a straight line. There is no style involved there at all. Maybe just a bad tyre??
...Old style tyre...interesting. I am coming to the opinion that each new iteration of a design CANNOT be better than what has gone before, because we would be seeing a significant change in the life of a tyre, or how far we lean a given bike over, of a whole raft of other variables that would improve. However, we don't. Generally any new tyre [after scrubbing - in] (whatever brand) will always feel so much better because it is a good profile and the 'rubber' is still fresh.

Agree with everything you say, by style I meant, guess some are harder on tyres than others. By old style tyre, I was referring to the fact that the Z8 have been replaced by the 01s, so was surprised new bikes were still coming with Z8s. To be fair, I have only done 600 miles so far, 200 of which was scrubbing the tyres in, so will see how they perform on a trip to Scotland in a couple of weeks. Haven't had Metzlers on a BMW since my two R80RTs in the 80s and 90s :)
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Sprintgull wrote: At risk of adding fuel to the tyre fire, mine came with Z8s which I hated, and have been on PR4GTs since which are better for me.  Each to their own....  Weird though isn't it?

It sure is. But what you are adding, just the same as Casbar, is valuable input.
The bottom line for the OP is that a after checking some basic things, trying a tyre change is a good option (whatever your favourite brand may be).
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

PhilMill wrote:

Thanks. Phil

Phil I have a 2014 RT and when its on the centre stand and I put a scissor jack under the engine to lift the front for cleaning I can move the steering from side to side with ease. Your comment "...have to put a fair amount of force to move the bars..." does not seem right to me. This leads me to question the steering damper. One answer is to check another bike of your year at a dealership to compare. Just a thought.

I'm running PR4GTs at 38/42 PSI. Bike handles a dream but it has always had a tendency to track uneven surfaces.
austin1964

Post by austin1964 »

I have R1200RT LE 2018 and confirm that if you move the head stock, even with the front wheel on the ground parked on centre stand it is free and easy (effortless). No sticking, clunky or resistance.

Is the steering lock working ok, going on and off? As said damper looks undamaged, no obvious obstructions when you look up from ground and down the front forks/stocks
PhilMill

Post by PhilMill »

austin1964 wrote: I have R1200RT LE 2018 and confirm that if you move the head stock, even with the front wheel on the ground parked on centre stand it is free and easy (effortless). No sticking, clunky or resistance.

Is the steering lock working ok, going on and off? As said damper looks undamaged, no obvious obstructions when you look up from ground and down the front forks/stocks

Thanks for all the replies, Austin, mine takes a fair amount of force to move it, not just from centre. Tyres are Michelin Pilots, been on from new, the handling has concerned me since the first ride, I asked the dealer to check the set up on the first service and they said "all RT's feel heavy"

Seems it may not be right from all your comments, I have been riding bikes since I was 6 years old, so I think I have a fair idea of how it should feel. I guess another trip to the dealers is needed, I have a trip to Spain in June and really don't want to go with it feeling like it does.

Phil
Too many bikes, not enough time!