2018 RTLE Handling.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
PhilMill

Re: 2018 RTLE Handling.

Post by PhilMill »

I would have said the bike was new and now has 2940 miles, so the issue has been since the first time I rode it. I dont remember feeling the same issues on the demonstrator, there is no way I would have bought it. But of course, when riding a demo bike there are so many things going through your mind that maybe I missed it.

Phil
Too many bikes, not enough time!
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

PhilMill wrote: I would have said the bike was new and now has 2940 miles, so the issue has been since the first time I rode it. I dont remember feeling the same issues on the demonstrator, there is no way I would have bought it. But of course, when riding a demo bike there are so many things going through your mind that maybe I missed it.

Phil

Maybe there is someone from here who lives near who could do a comparison for you. But as I have said, I have had no concerns with handling on either my 2014 or my 1250. Your an experienced rider, so if it doesn't feel right, then there is probably something wrong, Good luck :)
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Hi i own a 2018 RTLE , i have put 5200 miles on it now and i have not experienced any handling problems , maybe the best thing to do is have a word at your local dealers , if you change riding modes is there any difference ? anyway best of luck .
PhilMill

Post by PhilMill »

Thanks guys, yes I think a trip back to CW is needed. Its a nice run from me anyway so no real hardship.

Phil
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

PhilMill wrote: Thanks guys, yes I think a trip back to CW is needed. Its a nice run from me anyway so no real hardship.

Phil

Hi Phil. I think that is the best plan.
Is that your bike in the signature line? Do you have any larger pictures of it?
austin1964

Post by austin1964 »

Maybe book it in and ask to test a R1250RT, I rode my mates on a group ride and no real discernable difference especially around handling...Maybe a little soft in road mode. This would give you confidence that you are experiencing something that's not normal. Insist that the workshop takes it out on a ride and concentrates on slow ish ride...good luck I had a K1600GT and a RT and would never say anything negative about handling...should be 100% planted on the road....
Last edited by austin1964 on Wed May 08, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Unrelated, but I've always found that the RT, when you get it up off the side stand, requires a lot more heaving than other bikes I
ve had to get the front wheel out of the cocked position.  You really have to wrestle with it.
PhilMill

Post by PhilMill »

Hi Bandytales, no unfortunately that isnt my bike, I'm trying to find who did the striping as I think it looks really good. I have been talking to a local guy about doing it for me. Typically I have already put the clear protection on all the paintwork.

Phil
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

PhilMill wrote: Hi Bandytales, no unfortunately that isnt my bike, I'm trying to find who did the striping as I think it looks really good. I have been talking to a local guy about doing it for me. Typically I have already put the clear protection on all the paintwork.

Phil

I must say that that striping really looks good. O have seen quite a few other attempts and they look pretty lame in comparison. It really peps-up the look of the white bike! I hope you find someone who can produce those decals for you.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

bandytales wrote:
I must say that that striping really looks good. O have seen quite a few other attempts and they look pretty lame in comparison. It really peps-up the look of the white bike! I hope you find someone who can produce those decals for you.

Thanks bandytales for letting me know my bike looks lame  :))
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

michaelc2710 wrote:
Thanks bandytales for letting me know my bike looks lame  :) )

LOL
PhilMill

Post by PhilMill »

Just as an update, I called the dealer I bought the bike from and asked if I could pop down so they could have a look, a mere 10 mins out of their day! But no, they are too busy I need to book it in.... I had hoped that the After Sales on a BMW motorcycle was better than their cars, but clearly not, spending best part of 17k means nothing I guess.

Last bike I buy from CW Motorcycles  >:(
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

PhilMill wrote: Just as an update, I called the dealer I bought the bike from and asked if I could pop down so they could have a look, a mere 10 mins out of their day! But no, they are too busy I need to book it in.... I had hoped that the After Sales on a BMW motorcycle was better than their cars, but clearly not, spending best part of 17k means nothing I guess.

Wow, I have never heard negative comments from CW's. They have always gone the extra mile for me. But, I guess at this time of the year they are very busy. 10 minutes given to everyone that pops in means 10 minutes out of a job another customer is waiting for.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

PhilMill wrote: Just as an update, I called the dealer I bought the bike from and asked if I could pop down so they could have a look, a mere 10 mins out of their day! But no, they are too busy I need to book it in.... I had hoped that the After Sales on a BMW motorcycle was better than their cars, but clearly not, spending best part of 17k means nothing I guess.

Again I am really surprised, I bought my latest bike from them and have dealt with them for years, they have always been brilliant. Just a thought, give John the sales principle a call and tell him about your issue and see if he can help, or the sales person who sold you the bike.
PhilMill

Post by PhilMill »

I will contact them again, the problem is I can't plan ahead and need to be able to go as it fits last minute.. I am off to Spain soon and am not looking forward to it, the bike just doesn't make me happy.