Screen options on RT LC

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
PhilMill

Screen options on RT LC

Post by PhilMill »

So I read all the info on peoples choices for screens but all the comments are about wind noise or turbulence, nothing about rain. So what's the feeling on best screen for wet weather riding? I rode back through Spain over Easter and my Werks Quiet Ride is useless, the rain curled around the edges of the screen and came straight onto me, I got soaked, even got past my Goretex jacket after 6 hours. I think I stayed drier on my old 1200RS  :( , I was really disappointed and surprised.
Too many bikes, not enough time!
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Screen options on RT LC

Post by Casbar »

PhilMill wrote: So I read all the info on peoples choices for screens but all the comments are about wind noise or turbulence, nothing about rain. So what's the feeling on best screen for wet weather riding? I rode back through Spain over Easter and my Werks Quiet Ride is useless, the rain curled around the edges of the screen and came straight onto me, I got soaked, even got past my Goretex jacket after 6 hours. I think I stayed drier on my old 1200RS  :( , I was really disappointed and surprised.

Really surprised about this as well. I have had a Werks Quiet Ride on my bike for over 4 years and ride all year around and never had any issue with getting any wetter than normal, I have certainly never got soaked, but then I guess that depends on the kit you ride in, I have a Rukka suit and have never been wet. How does the standard screen perform in rain, can't really remember because I changed early on.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Also, maybe try posting on this forum https://www.bmwlt.com Its more US based, but has a few UK contributors, but they probably have a lot of experience on screens, plus the guy who owns Werks posts on there, so he maybe able to comment.
PhilMill

Post by PhilMill »

Casbar wrote: Also, maybe try posting on this forum https://www.bmwlt.com Its more US based, but has a few UK contributors, but they probably have a lot of experience on screens, plus the guy who owns Werks posts on there, so he maybe able to comment.

Thanks, will try that, will be interesting to see what he says.
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

I often get customers asking about a screen that keeps rain off them. The answer I give isn't likely the one they want to hear! First of all, if your gear allowed you to get wet it isn't the screens fault it is the gear not doing its job for whatever reason. I have some pretty good rain gear that I have proven in torrential rains and extended hours in it. It isn't automatic that rain gear actually works as advertised! It can get old and decline too.

Nowhere on my website, or if you call and ask will you hear that my Quiet Ride screens keep you dry. I will also add that the Aeroflow, V Stream, stock, and modified stock screens I have tested are absolutely no different in that respect.

Well, why was I drier on my other bike? You actually might have been! The difference is in an electrically adjustable screen, and one that is fixed to the cowling/fairing. Fixed, or screens that don't allow air under them operate differently. They can actually form a dry pocket of sorts. Not that you will not need rain gear, but less water will get to you. Riders on the older Gold Wing, Harleys with Bat Wing and frame mount fairings will say they get less water on them. I can see where a BMW RS or ST could be slightly drier. But again, if you are getting wet your gear isn't working.

With an adjustable screen you can use some aerodynamic principles to aid in how it works. All of these allow air under them. This is to fill the negative pressure area behind the screen/upper fairing. On a fixed screen, at least the larger sizes, you will hear complaints of really bad back pressure. This cannot be helped without vents on these screens. But on the adjustable screens you can tune the amount of air that bypasses the screen and flows underneath and up behind. This allows a quieter less turbulent pocket of air for the rider. But just like the air, rain is coming in that area! So there will be rain getting to you. You can raise the screen to keep more off the visor, but that can also let more air/rain in under the screen. I experimented with a flexible baffle at the front lower edge of the screen, but the improvements were offset by less quiet air and more turbulence.

Motorcycle windshields are a compromise by their nature. It would be nice to have one that folded out of the way completely, one that came around the sides to lessen turbulence in heavy traffic at speed. And so on. My mission with the Quiet Ride was to have one that would allow it to be WELL below your line of sight and still have very smooth airflow which is exactly what you have to have to be Quiet!
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
PhilMill

Post by PhilMill »

realshelby wrote: I often get customers asking about a screen that keeps rain off them. The answer I give isn't likely the one they want to hear! First of all, if your gear allowed you to get wet it isn't the screens fault it is the gear not doing its job for whatever reason. I have some pretty good rain gear that I have proven in torrential rains and extended hours in it. It isn't automatic that rain gear actually works as advertised! It can get old and decline too.

Nowhere on my website, or if you call and ask will you hear that my Quiet Ride screens keep you dry. I will also add that the Aeroflow, V Stream, stock, and modified stock screens I have tested are absolutely no different in that respect.

Well, why was I drier on my other bike? You actually might have been! The difference is in an electrically adjustable screen, and one that is fixed to the cowling/fairing. Fixed, or screens that don't allow air under them operate differently. They can actually form a dry pocket of sorts. Not that you will not need rain gear, but less water will get to you. Riders on the older Gold Wing, Harleys with Bat Wing and frame mount fairings will say they get less water on them. I can see where a BMW RS or ST could be slightly drier. But again, if you are getting wet your gear isn't working.

With an adjustable screen you can use some aerodynamic principles to aid in how it works. All of these allow air under them. This is to fill the negative pressure area behind the screen/upper fairing. On a fixed screen, at least the larger sizes, you will hear complaints of really bad back pressure. This cannot be helped without vents on these screens. But on the adjustable screens you can tune the amount of air that bypasses the screen and flows underneath and up behind. This allows a quieter less turbulent pocket of air for the rider. But just like the air, rain is coming in that area! So there will be rain getting to you. You can raise the screen to keep more off the visor, but that can also let more air/rain in under the screen. I experimented with a flexible baffle at the front lower edge of the screen, but the improvements were offset by less quiet air and more turbulence.

Motorcycle windshields are a compromise by their nature. It would be nice to have one that folded out of the way completely, one that came around the sides to lessen turbulence in heavy traffic at speed. And so on. My mission with the Quiet Ride was to have one that would allow it to be WELL below your line of sight and still have very smooth airflow which is exactly what you have to have to be Quiet!

Thanks for the comments and reply. Please do not take my post as a total criticism of the screen, the screen is most defiantly very quiet and smooth and I am happy with it for that. My post was more aimed at trying to see if anybody could suggest any other options to help with wet riding. I am happy to change screens for any long period trips with bad weather. I would always use the Werks screen for all other times. My comment about my old bike was to say I was surprised that the RS seemed to deflect more water, I honestly thought the RT fairing and not just the screen would have deflected more, actually my hands were soaked as the water comes off the mirrors and straight to the hands, (I have a pair of 3 month old Goretex gloves) the water found its way through between gloves and jacket somehow, maybe the 6 hours at Motorway speeds was just too much.

As said, the post was not aimed solely at the screen but more my surprise at the RT in general. And I agree with the comments about the screen being quiet, it most certainly is.
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

Post was not taken in a negative way! I thank you for the business. Part of being in business is that you learn there will ALWAYS be somebody that has a less than perfect experience. Which may, or may not, actually be due to how your product performs.

If there were a screen that worked better in rain, I would tell you. What might have worked on an Oilhead RT won't necessarily work on a Wethead/Shifthead. All in how the fairing/cowling/screen work together. Including how they might deflect rain. Which I honestly have put no work into as far as development. I did try installing foam blocks, that would compress as the screen lowered, to block and or alter air coming under the screen. Never tested in rain, but I have a feeling that might have changed how much rain actually hits the rider. It would also be easy to fab some extensions to the clear parts at the top of the fairing/cowl. I think someone actually had a project in 3d printing of them. That would direct some of the rain away from your hands. You can get into a never ending journey trying to improve these things! All to find out a customers helmet ( or lack of one as I found out the other day....) changes how things work. The BEST screen available is still simply going to be a compromise.

Your comments about the gloves being wet, as well as earlier when you mentioned getting wet elsewhere, tells me the wet riding gear you have isn't doing its job. Gloves are a difficult item to get right. I finally found a pair of gloves ( from Tourmaster of all places ) that do not allow rain in. Even after hours of rain. But your skin still gets clammy making them hard to get off and back on. Still, they work. My best solution so far is the Aerostich 3 finger overgloves. Nothing compares. You use your everyday gloves ( hopefully with good protection ) and once you get used to the 3 finger style you never worry about wet hand again! I cannot say my Aerostich one piece suits are as waterproof!
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.