Scratching the pegs down

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
LondonBiker

Scratching the pegs down

Post by LondonBiker »

At what angle of lean do your hero blobs go down?  I’m at 44 degrees and have worn away a reasonable chunk of the feeler.  Lots of dry Italian mountain roads and brilliant sunshine are to blame.  Not me.  Honest guv...

Anyway.  It seems like my bike has loads more capability left as the pegs go down.  (Get out - Can’t get them down on quick fast turns only the sweepers - don’t have the feel to go straight to the edge)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Scratching the pegs down

Post by David. »

LondonBiker wrote:It seems like my bike has loads more capability left as the pegs go down.
What would be the deciding factor(s).
Last edited by David. on Thu May 23, 2019 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

LondonBiker wrote:   I’m at 44 degrees and have ....

How do you know you are at 44 degrees?

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Is the bike fitted with ABS Pro & Nav VI lean angle display.
garr2

Post by garr2 »

The attainable lean angle varies from 32 degrees for cruisers (before hard parts start scraping) to 45 degrees for sports bikes to 65 degrees for Motogp bikes.
At 44 degrees on a sports tourer you're scraping hard parts and must be close to scraping softer body parts.

Ian

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

BMW Motorrad say,

"ABS PRO. - For braking force at a banking angle.

An obstacle that suddenly appears can cause any rider to brake on reflex. If this happens in a corner, another hazard is added to the mix: the wheels lock and the motorcycle "rears up", making it almost impossible to keep control. ABS Pro reduces abrupt changes in steering force in this type of situation, even where there is fast braking activity going on. This means the motorcycle remains under control even during brake manoeuvres at a banking angle."

How can this be true. If a bike is fitted with ABS, the wheels shouldn't lock. It is the rider pushing or pulling the bars whilst braking when banked over that impacts on the steering.

i2i Motorcycle Academy train riders how to, if necessary, brake on bends, see MC2 Factsheet, https://www.i2imca.com/MachineControl.asp

"Braking on bends - In this section you will understand the stories you have created around braking on bends. Here you will learn advanced techniques for maintaining bike stability while either reducing speed or braking hard in a bend using front brake."
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

LondonBiker wrote: At what angle of lean do your hero blobs go down?  I’m at 44 degrees and have worn away a reasonable chunk of the feeler.  Lots of dry Italian mountain roads and brilliant sunshine are to blame.  Not me.  Honest guv...

Anyway.  It seems like my bike has loads more capability left as the pegs go down.  (Get out - Can’t get them down on quick fast turns only the sweepers - don’t have the feel to go straight to the edge)
Why would you want to?
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
LondonBiker

Post by LondonBiker »

Yes I’ve got the sensors and the Nav V that tells me how far over I’ve been.  Not that it tells me at the time which would be dangerous.

It’s a sports tourer.  I bought it as than just a straight tourer.  If I were to do a straight tour then I might as well go in my car which is quick and comfortable.

Why go straight to large lean angles?  When engaged with left-right-left turns at speed.  (Where visibility and road conditions allow obvs in case someone needs to state the bleeding obvious.  “ABS pro” shouldn’t be needed as it means you’re going faster than you can see to be clear)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looks like BMW Motorrad are trying to make i2i MCA redundant.

Dynamic Brake Control
The Dynamic Brake Control function assists the rider during emergency braking.

or

Advanced Braking for higher speeds
This section builds on the advanced braking exercises in Machine Control 1 helping you learn more advanced techniques to confidently bring your bike to a halt from higher speeds.
martin R

Post by martin R »

LondonBiker wrote: At what angle of lean do your hero blobs go down? I’m at 44 degrees and have worn away a reasonable chunk of the feeler. Lots of dry Italian mountain roads and brilliant sunshine are to blame. Not me. Honest guv...
Anyway. It seems like my bike has loads more capability left as the pegs go down. (Get out - Can’t get them down on quick fast turns only the sweepers - don’t have the feel to go straight to the edge)
Presume at that lean your on the outer edge of rear tyre adhesion? Reason I ask is I'm just back from a trip to Kerry here in Ireland on my 2015 RT, and try as I might, my limits of skill /feel /courage could only get within half an inch of rear PR4 outer edge...I have history on sports bike road /track riding and am fairly competent at front /rear trail braking into corners, but the RT takes a bit of adjustment in rider input to have the confidence to drag knee /pegs IMO.

Have to say I am incredibly impressed with how the RT handles generally for such a big bike but I take my hat off to you Sir, just make sure to get the knee out before the cylinder heads!

regards,

Martin
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Slightly off topic, but I saw the consequences for a guy who found the limits of lean angle and talent on his Harley Dyna a few days ago.  I got there a few minutes later and thankfully he was up and talking to his mates.  Bike looked a bit sad though.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

LondonBiker wrote: Where visibility and road conditions allow obvs in case someone needs to state the bleeding obvious.  “ABS pro” shouldn’t be needed as it means you’re going faster than you can see to be clear
  Interesting writing on Facebook about emergency situations (cornering) and human reactions    https://tinyurl.com/y6fqg6em

Murgie

Post by Murgie »

Is there any difference in lean angles between the 1200 and 1250?
michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

I'd never really thought about scratching the pegs down, but for a bit of fun I left swmbo sunning herself on the decking and set off for a bimble along the D11 in Turckheim.
I've attached a few pic's to show what I had left on the tyre's at 39 and 41 degree's and the pegs never touched.

Hopefully when its a little cooler I'll do a re run and see what lean angle you need to be at to get the peg down.

Attachments
20190613_144012.jpg
20190613_125747.jpg
20190613_125758.jpg
20190613_144053.jpg
michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

well could only muster 42 degrees which left circa 5mm of tyre but still no peg scratching....must need to change my riding style.
now time to chill with a few beers  :beer:
Attachments
20190613_180521.jpg
20190613_180501.jpg