Getting On The Bike

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
horand

Getting On The Bike

Post by horand »

Hi
Is it safe to stand on the side stand when getting on the RT?
I have a drivers back rest which makes it difficult when getting on the bike?
All reply’s welcome.
Thanks
David
LAF

Re: Getting On The Bike

Post by LAF »

I step on the right peg and swing my left leg over onto the bike.  I can not see how you would affect the side stand this way.  The second you stand on the right peg you remove weight from the side stand not add weight so can see no way it is harmful to the side stand.
horand

Post by horand »

Thanks
That makes sense although it Is probably important that the bike is on level ground and not leaning to the left on a bit of a slight slope.
Regards
David
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

I seen plenty of people do it. The only thing I would be wary of was if the side stand was on a slightly softer surface or even tarmac in very hot weather. Even for a short time it seems that you are putting a considerable amount of extra weight through it (no offence intended) until you get the bike upright.
LAF

Post by LAF »

I guess you need to go through it once to see how it works.  Once you step on the right peg you un weight the side stand.  Once your left foot hits the ground the bike is all but stood up and LESS weight is on the side stand.
Like I say once you do the motion and watch the bike's suspension you will see. 

IMHO getting on the side stand side and sitting down on the side stand puts more stress on the bike then standing on the right peg and relieving the weight on the side stand and standing the bike up off the side stand in that same step on motion.
As to what the stand is sitting on again it lifts the side stand when you step on the right side, so even if it has settled you are using your weight as leverage to bring it out of what it has settled in.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Sorry, Ive got a bit lost on which side of the bike you're getting on.
I assumed that you were " mounting" from the left, which is the technique I've seen most when using the side stand down.

As in:

Attachments
Short-7.png
mondeoman
Wales

Post by mondeoman »

I always put my weight ,(14 stone) on the left peg when swinging aboard the RT, no probs with side stand, it's pretty meaty and strong.
PS. can't ride or do anything now for 3 months and continuing since I snapped the Achilles tendon in my right ankle putting my Honda Crosstourer on it's centre stand.
Mondeoman
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

My wife has mobility problems so she normally gets on the bike first whilst it is on the side stand,  then moves to the back seat, then I get on a stand the bike up. Done this with multiple bikes and never been a problem.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

mondeoman wrote: I always put my weight ,(14 stone) on the left peg when swinging aboard the RT, no probs with side stand, it's pretty meaty and strong.
PS. can't ride or do anything now for 3 months and continuing since I snapped the Achilles tendon in my right ankle putting my Honda Crosstourer on it's centre stand.
Mondeoman
I did the same thing 3 years ago putting a Honda scooter on stand, follow your doctors and therapist’s advice 110%, recovery sucks, much worse than knee replacement

Jim
Jim
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I don't use the pegs myself, but it would appear easier and safer to use the right hand peg. The left one will be tilting downward, making it easier to slip off, especially in wet conditions. On the right, if you slip the tilt will slide your foot safely up against the side of the bike. I have always instructed my passengers to mount as if getting on a horse: right foot on the rear peg, stand straight up slowly, and easily swing the left leg over, with plenty of rooms to spare. I found that passengers naturally tend to sort of karate kick their way onto the bike, often overbalancing. If the passenger is heavy, I'd recommend you perform the above maneuver with the side stand down for safety. As to the strength of the pegs, I have to say I had a very slow static fall (the type where you realize you can only slow the inevitable crunch) and the rear peg - extended at the time - snapped right off. In cross-section it looks just like aluminum pot metal, similar to the upper swing arms of the windshield which have twice snapped. Plus can't be mended even with the proper welding technique. Kind of disgraceful they try to save on costs given the ridiculous part prices. BTW, in a pinch, the rear peg also fits the front. I have popped the return/tensioner springs on the front so I can fold them up, since I hate barking my shins whilst backing up, and you can put you leg straight down to help flat foot it. Works a treat.
mondeoman
Wales

Post by mondeoman »

T6pilot wrote: Mondeoman
I did the same thing 3 years ago putting a Honda scooter on stand, follow your doctors and therapist’s advice 110%, recovery sucks, much worse than knee replacement

Jim

T6, wow, you too 'eh, I'm hopefully into rehab in 3 weeks all being well so fingers crossed !,  really miss riding the bikes.
Mondeoman
LAF

Post by LAF »

MikeS wrote: Sorry, Ive got a bit lost on which side of the bike you're getting on.
I assumed that you were " mounting" from the left, which is the technique I've seen most when using the side stand down.

As in:
I step on the right side, throttle side peg.  Swing my left leg over to the ground and the bike is stood upright.
The bike is not tipping over unless you have it balanced strait up and down.  Most of our police use this technique to stay out of a traffic lane when getting on or off the bike.

You are 200 lbs stepping on a bike that is 550 lbs that is still resting on the ground.  When you step on the right side you unweight it, pull the side stand out of the asphalt or mud, and upright the bike all using gravity not muscle.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

The only thing that would be a concern to me when mounting from the right side would be that the LC seems to have a long side stand and does not actually lean far to the left.  If it were on a slight slope it would be almost upright, and I'm umm heavy.  Could it topple?  I hope no-one come back and says 'yes' from experience.
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

All this talk of getting aboard the bike while it's on the sidestand, from the right hand side is giving me a headache thinking about it! To me, I can't see the advantage, if there even is one. The right side is the high side. If my bike's on the sidestand, leaning over to the left, then that, surely, is the side to get on....the left. As you get on, you naturally push the weight off the sidestand so you and the bike are then upright....and both feet are on the ground should a pillion be about to climb on.

This assumes, of course, that we're all using 'right' to mean the right when sitting on the bike!

Pete
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

I stand on the left peg when it's on the side stand to get on. It's easier not to kick the panniers that way.

I'm probably heavier than all of you, and I've not broken the side stand yet!