Rear PowerSocket

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Shakleton

Rear PowerSocket

Post by Shakleton »

There is a power socket nestled under the rear seat for the pillion.

Can anyone inform me as to what current it draws please? (the manual is silent).

My wife has a pair of heated Gerbing  gloves and a heated Gilet (SHMBO likes to be warm). We have failed to get these to work so I am guessing it is like the front power socket which has a limited power draw?

I have wired an accessory socket direct to the battery for an air pump. Can I retire the pillion socket direct to the battery or do I have to run another one separately (Canbus etc)

Many thanks for any help, insight and wisdom
k900r

Re: Rear PowerSocket

Post by k900r »

The canbus will prevent any heated clothing running from the power sockets, you’ll need to run from battery (and may need a separate canbus manager)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Shakleton wrote:Can I re-wire the pillion socket direct to the battery.
Don't see why not, disconnect the pillion socket from the wiring harness, find an appropriate plug or socket to match the pillion socket, fuse it & wire directly to the battery, job done.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

k900r wrote: The canbus will prevent any heated clothing running from the power sockets, you’ll need to run from battery (and may need a separate canbus manager)

Not strictly true, depends on the current draw. I happily run my Gerbing Gloves off the front socket and a friend runs his gloves and waistcoat off the front socket although that is Keis.

Think the max is 10 amps for both sockets together
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Shakleton wrote: There is a power socket nestled under the rear seat for the pillion.

Can anyone inform me as to what current it draws please? (the manual is silent).

My wife has a pair of heated Gerbing  gloves and a heated Gilet (SHMBO likes to be warm). We have failed to get these to work so I am guessing it is like the front power socket which has a limited power draw?

I have wired an accessory socket direct to the battery for an air pump. Can I retire the pillion socket direct to the battery or do I have to run another one separately (Canbus etc)

Many thanks for any help, insight and wisdom

These sockets are totally unacceptable for a touring bike. BMW knows the kind of kit real all year round touring motorcyclist use and for the CanBus system to fold back power to these outlets is crazy.
So,as others have said, rewire them with suitable gauge wire and fuse back to the battery. The added benefit is then you will also be able to charge your battery through these outlets too!

The CanBus will shut down both (!) sockets if the electrical draw of the sockets exceeds max 10 A, (Total for all sockets)
davef1uk

Post by davef1uk »

bandytales wrote:
These sockets are totally unacceptable for a touring bike. BMW knows the kind of kit real all year round touring motorcyclist use and for the CanBus system to fold back power to these outlets is crazy.
So,as others have said, rewire them with suitable gauge wire and fuse back to the battery. The added benefit is then you will also be able to charge your battery through these outlets too!

The CanBus will shut down both (!) sockets if the electrical draw of the sockets exceeds max 10 A, (Total for all sockets)

I totally agree.  Pointless sockets.  I will be upgrading mine. 
Motorbiking is a life, not a hobby.  Ride with Pride.  😜
Qball-16

Post by Qball-16 »

My wife's heated vest has an SAE connector, so I replaced the rear PowerLet plug entirely.  I found an SAE plug that fit perfectly in the hole left by the PowerLet plug and wired it directly (fused) to the battery.  As an added bonus, I can now plug my battery charger in without having the external SAE plug/cord dangling out from behind a panel somewhere.  Works like a charm!

https://www.amazon.com/OptiMATE-Cable-Weatherproof-socket-panel/dp/B01N57XLNS/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=B01N57XLNS&qid=1559749044&s=gateway&sr=8-1
davef1uk

Post by davef1uk »

Great fix
Motorbiking is a life, not a hobby.  Ride with Pride.  😜
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Pabst wrote: Huh?  What in the heck are they there for?

Exactly! I don't generally slag BMW off, but in this instance, for a touring motorcycle, and one that has evolved over so many years, they should be ashamed of themselves. Mine were uprated almost immediately I realised my heated gear wasn't working when I took a dealer bike out for a test ride.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

bandytales wrote:
Exactly! I don't generally slag BMW off, but in this instance, for a touring motorcycle, and one that has evolved over so many years, they should be ashamed of themselves. Mine were uprated almost immediately I realised my heated gear wasn't working when I took a dealer bike out for a test ride.

The plug runs both mine and my wife heated gloves and if I'm on my own, it runs my gloves and heated vest, although since I bought my Rukka suit and a decent base layer I have never used the vest. I also use my socket to plug the optiamte in, so I don't have a fly lead to the battery. But it does seem daft that you can't run things like pumps etc. Although to be fair on my 30k Harley, the sat nav, sockets etc were also run from the bike and through the Canbus and when too much current was taken, it used to switch off the sat nav and gloves etc, so seems BMW are not the only ones to limit power to the sockets.
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

Casbar wrote:
The plug runs both mine and my wife heated gloves and if I'm on my own, it runs my gloves and heated vest, although since I bought my Rukka suit and a decent base layer I have never used the vest. I also use my socket to plug the optiamte in, so I don't have a fly lead to the battery. But it does seem daft that you can't run things like pumps etc. Although to be fair on my 30k Harley, the sat nav, sockets etc were also run from the bike and through the Canbus and when too much current was taken, it used to switch off the sat nav and gloves etc, so seems BMW are not the only ones to limit power to the sockets.
I don’t have any heated vests etc (don’t ride in the winter) but use the socket to charge my phone, power a Hornig compressor, and charge the battery with an Optimate 4.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

B787MECH wrote: I don’t have any heated vests etc (don’t ride in the winter) but use the socket to charge my phone, power a Hornig compressor, and charge the battery with an Optimate 4.

You will be right on the margin running that compressor. I think on load it draws around 10A.

Still, my point is, these bikes are designed for touring throughout the world and some places are VERY cold and as such, their riders WILL be using significant heated clothing. The sockets SHOULD be man enough without have to do aftermarket conversions. We are also seeing the trend in alternators with their outputs being significantly reduced (however, I do recognise that the onboard running load has reduced with modern ECU's and LED lighting etc.).
B787MECH
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

bandytales wrote:
You will be right on the margin running that compressor. I think on load it draws around 10A.

Still, my point is, these bikes are designed for touring throughout the world and some places are VERY cold and as such, their riders WILL be using significant heated clothing. The sockets SHOULD be man enough without have to do aftermarket conversions. We are also seeing the trend in alternators with their outputs being significantly reduced (however, I do recognise that the onboard running load has reduced with modern ECU's and LED lighting etc.).
Not sure why I’ll have a problem with the Hornig compressor, worked fine so far.
I do appreciate the problem with heated vests etc though.

bandytales

Post by bandytales »

B787MECH wrote: Not sure why I’ll have a problem with the Hornig compressor, worked fine so far.
I do appreciate the problem with heated vests etc though.

Well, the reason is this: If the Hornig pump you have is the AirMan Sparrow Air Pump it lists its current draw as 10A. Admittedly that is the 'max' current draw with the running current being more like 5A. The combined output of the sockets on the bike is 10A, so it all becomes marginal on pump start up. However, if you have a different pump then of course  all bets are off.
B787MECH
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

bandytales wrote:
Well, the reason is this: If the Hornig pump you have is the AirMan Sparrow Air Pump it lists its current draw as 10A. Admittedly that is the 'max' current draw with the running current being more like 5A. The combined output of the sockets on the bike is 10A, so it all becomes marginal on pump start up. However, if you have a different pump then of course  all bets are off.
https://youtu.be/UsOgNpK0yeI

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk