Optimate 4 Won't Work

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
MEM62

Optimate 4 Won't Work

Post by MEM62 »

Anyone using the canbus-enabled Optimate 4?  I cannot get mine to work when using the connection to the power outlet.  After being connected overnight the display shows light 1 (power on) illuminated, light 6 flashing and light 8 flashing.  I have tried connecting when the ignition is on and when it is off.  I am also aware that the charger needs to set to can-bus mode and have gone through this procedure.     

Any thoughts anyone. 
mondeoman
Wales

Re: Optimate 4 Won't Work

Post by mondeoman »

That sounds normal to me MEM, I've got that charger, the instructions are a bit confusing , btw, charge with ignition OFF,  this video will tell you all you need to know, it's what told me how the charger works.

[size=2px]www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixz-iuOwFA0[/size]
Mondeoman
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Just plugged mine in. Green power light on, then second green on for a minute, now showing Green power and Orange charging bit in the middle. Once it finishes, it shows Green power and flashing green next to the power light when in maintenance mode.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

I had to change the mode on mine from standard to CanBus. Cannot remember the exact process to do but it was something counter intuitive like shorting things out
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

Here's an update.  I took the bike off charge (via Can Bus) on Saturday as I was getting ready for a trip to Spain tomorrow.  The Optimate showed the battery condition as good.  When I turned the ignition on the bike had no power at all - not even the instrument lights illuminated.  Fortunately, I have a motorcycle workshop near me and they took it in the same day to have a look at it for me.  It turns out that the bike is absolutely fine but the battery was completely flat. 

To confuse the situation further, I have also had two other bikes on that charger over the past few months, including a GSXR that has not been ridden for several months as as I am storing it for a friend.  The batteries on these bikes are absolutely fine. 

It looks like my BMW Can Bus specific charger not only doesn't work on Can Bus but kills my battery whilst giving a reading indicating that the battery is healthy.         
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

MEM62 wrote: Here's an update.  I took the bike off charge (via Can Bus) on Saturday as I was getting ready for a trip to Spain tomorrow.  The Optimate showed the battery condition as good.  When I turned the ignition on the bike had no power at all - not even the instrument lights illuminated.  Fortunately, I have a motorcycle workshop near me and they took it in the same day to have a look at it for me.  It turns out that the bike is absolutely fine but the battery was completely flat. 

To confuse the situation further, I have also had two other bikes on that charger over the past few months, including a GSXR that has not been ridden for several months as as I am storing it for a friend.  The batteries on these bikes are absolutely fine. 

It looks like my BMW Can Bus specific charger not only doesn't work on Can Bus but kills my battery whilst giving a reading indicating that the battery is healthy.       

There must be something wrong with the charger. I have been using my Optimate 4 through the socket for 4 years on my 1200LC and now on my 1250 and all is working fine.
Rick B

Post by Rick B »

MEM62 wrote: Here's an update.  I took the bike off charge (via Can Bus) on Saturday as I was getting ready for a trip to Spain tomorrow.  The Optimate showed the battery condition as good.  When I turned the ignition on the bike had no power at all - not even the instrument lights illuminated.  Fortunately, I have a motorcycle workshop near me and they took it in the same day to have a look at it for me.  It turns out that the bike is absolutely fine but the battery was completely flat. 

Have you been changing the settings when swapping bikes as im not sure the GSXR is can bus ready?