Safety on the road

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
davef1uk

Safety on the road

Post by davef1uk »

Why do vehicles not see us?  I was riding home the other day, and this driver just pulls out in front of me, no apology or anything, so I ignore and carry on... muttering to myself ( nob sack ) as you do...

Then later, passing parked cars I noticed someone in one, and I slowed just in case they opened the door, and wow, they not only opened the door, but began to get the child out...on the drivers side????    Crazy...  then as he looked up, then saw me and did a vague apology lol. 

I was wearing a high vis too.  Blind sods.

Anyone else had issues with drivers ?

Motorbiking is a life, not a hobby.  Ride with Pride.  😜
PeteM

Re: Safety on the road

Post by PeteM »

Davef1uk wrote: Anyone else had issues with drivers ?

Might be easier to ask "Anyone NOT had issues with drivers"

And it is not just bikes, up until recently I had a Lotus Elise and that was regularly not seen by normal car drivers, particularly those in 4x4s. I put that down to being a lot lower than normal cars.
davef1uk

Post by davef1uk »

PeteM wrote:
Might be easier to ask "Anyone NOT had issues with drivers"

And it is not just bikes, up until recently I had a Lotus Elise and that was regularly not seen by normal car drivers, particularly those in 4x4s. I put that down to being a lot lower than normal cars.

Sad all round Pete.  Pathetic.  As an ex driving instructor, I find driving standards and people’s awareness shocking...no one seems to care. 

They make cycle lanes to protect cyclist, but what about motorbikes??? 

More needs to be done to protect motorbike users. 

Has anyone , group or organisation never lobbied the government to get this addressed? 
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Davef1uk wrote: Has anyone , group or organisation never lobbied the government to get this addressed?

That is one of the primary reasons the BMF exists
austin1964

Post by austin1964 »

Very old but well worth a look

https://youtu.be/eqQBubilSXU
austin1964

Post by austin1964 »

This is another great explanation of why you aren't being seen

https://youtu.be/XL_NvUHGgi8
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

I regularly used to 'not be seen'......on my work bike, battenburged to the hilt, hi-vis everywhere....and sometimes I wasn't seen even with blue strobes ablaze and the headlight on auto-flash, going quite quickly.  :eek: If they're not looking, it matters not what you're displaying or wearing...and vast numbers of drivers simply aren't looking.

Pete
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

I live near Heathrow Airport and commute daily on a small bike through heavy traffic. The standard of driving here is at an all time low coupled with more traffic than ever (up 77% in a recent survey). Worst of all is the aggressive, arrogant attitude that is now prevalent by most car drivers. Very few think it necessary to use their indicators or look before changing lanes etc. It’s now standard for drivers waiting in side roads to pull out into oncoming traffic, forcing them to stop, despite not having right of way. I certainly avoid riding my precious RT in to London.
It’s a sad indictment of modern Britain, fuelled I believe by the attitude that if something does happen it’s always someone else’s fault (where there’s blame there’s a claim etc)
So go carefully out there, or move to rural Dorset like I plan to do!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MrCabbage

Post by MrCabbage »

I've done a lot of miles in the States as well as back home in the UK. Sadly, they are very different. America still has a more sensible attitude of "Time isn't everything". Admittedly they use a lot of lights to control things, they have few roundabouts and I love their All Stop junctions. The cities are a bit more challenging but still mostly ok. And maybe they are fearful of the claims culture. I can ride 3000 miles in America and maybe only once or twice have a moment where someone doesn't seem to see me. That will happen within 10 minutes of leaving my house back in the UK every single day! There needs to be a re-education programme that makes people more aware of how little difference being aggressive and 'pushing the envelope' actually is in terms of journey times. We've all seen the tailgaters on the motorway who 30 miles down the road are still only a matter of seconds ahead of the rest of us. But they still do it. And, frankly, London and the area around it has become bandit country these days. I avoid; it's just not worth it.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

I feel your pain.  I used to commute from Brentwood to Barking on the bike 13 years ago and it took me 45-60 minutes for that short journey.

the only thing I can say is: "Come to Belgium."

Yes you get the crazies, who actively block your path (usually they are the ones with GB on their plate.)

However in a traffic jam, I would say about 75%+ of drivers will make room for a bike.

It appears most of the car drivers here are bike aware - still the Road Safety group have made bike awareness adverts.

You are not too far away from really nice biking roads - Ardennes, Germany etc.

Best regards
Sleuth
Best regards, Sleuth
austin1964

Post by austin1964 »

It's illegal to filter in Germany and cars will try to stop you, they don't like you going to the front on the queue at the traffic lights. You often see them just sitting in traffic on the A1 after getting off the ferry:-)
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Thanks to Austin for the 2 video clips.
Some serious thought being given to the content.
:)
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

PeteM wrote:
That is one of the primary reasons the BMF exists
......and MAG, admittedly only been in existence since1973, but equally important that these two organisations collaborate and campaign for riders’ rights. As with other such things in life, if you feel strongly about these issues, join the membership and get involved! Like unions, a lot of folk think they (and such campaign groups) are a spent force in today’s society, but believe me, don’t wish them away, because the alternative doesn’t bear thinking about! Just my two penneth....
davef1uk

Post by davef1uk »

Dash cams today show the ignorance of drivers but also the poor knowledge of emerging from a minor to major road. 

I can’t believe people still flash and take the risk of pulling out. 

People are glancing not looking...looking is 2 seconds, slight pause...but we are talking about drivers who rush, be it school runs or work...

Love the video clips.  Interesting and helpful 
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Davef1uk wrote: I can’t believe people still flash and take the risk of pulling out. 

I am not promoting or justifying dangerous driving, but if people just sat at a junction and waited for a gap to develop, they would be there all day. Since the [size=2px]imposing[/size] of so many slow speed limits, traffic turns into a non stop 'train'. The natural gaps that occur when people drive at different speeds has gone. So now drivers in that 'train', are so precious about not losing their place in the queue that they will not allow anyone out.

Davef1uk wrote:

People are glancing not looking...looking is 2 seconds, slight pause...but we are talking about drivers who rush, be it school runs or work...
[/quote]

2 Seconds! If you were taking 2 seconds to do an over shoulder (lifesaver) check for a maneuver, there is a very high risk you would be in the back of someone else or crashed into something.