General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Re: Cylinder head guards or crashbars

Post by simbo »

Jack_the_Lad wrote: The good news with those crash bars (if they are the same material matt finish stainless steel as Touratech's version on the GS) is that five minutes with a wire brush on an electric drill and the scrapes are all gone.  Fell off my GSA an embarrassing number of times on all kinds of surfaces (including six very low speed get-offs while training in a car park) and to my huge surprise the old laugh "that'll buff right out" is actually true!  Almost as good as new, although they bend a bit eventualy and then have to be bent back into place.

I'll give that a try, thanks. 👍
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Jefla

Post by Jefla »

I’ve a 2020 1250 RT and am looking at head guards. I’ve decided against crash bars bc I don’t like the look. Also, although it’d be nice to have highway bars, on these bikes the foot rests are too wide for my tastes. My goal is to save the head covers in low speed drops and I think guards will do that.

Anyone have experience with the touratech head guard?  https://touratech-usa.com/store/Touratech-Cylinder-Head-Guards-BMW-R1250GS#&gid=null&pid=14  Can anyone report out about any other head guard products? Thx
Last edited by Jefla on Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry in ok
Bike Model and Year: 2022 R1250RT
United States of America

Post by Larry in ok »

I managed to flub the clutch and killed it taking off from a stop and had the misfortune to also have a patch of sand under my right foot and down she went. 4 days after I picked it up. Scuffed the mirror, valve cover and pannier on the right side. Also did a number on my pride. My illium bars were already on order. I'll probably put a set of  cylinder covers to hide the scuff.
Some people are like Slinkys, not really good for much of anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 879 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Go for a strong crash bar. I came off at a mega speed of 5 mph. The genuine BMW cylinder just snapped off. The other damage was the mirror cover, pannier scuff, and front indicator. They just didn't protect at all.  So i bought a new pair of cylinder protectors to cover the rash on the cylinder head and a pair of front and rear crash bars. Belt and braces style
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.