Speeding fines in France

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
julianq

Re: Speeding fines in France

Post by julianq »

Yes there are agreements and you get summonsed to court in France. So you get two trips away.

JQ 2007 R1200RT
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

Hello all
I should probably not write this, but I left France a few years ago - and not been there since - and not planning to visit.

France have changed quite a bit - from the country I know from all my touring on the MC there before.
Now - last time - I only found impolite -  arrogante Police - and had the feeling hotels etc did just not want me. 
Terrible service at hotels,  durty rooms , and even impolite servicing in restaurants

The thing that made me the decision to not visit France anymore - was in the restaurant belonging to the hotel.
Sitting outside and ordered a quite expensive dinner - (everything was expensive)  - and they asked me what sort of vine I would like to have - I was ordering a good white wine for wife , but was kindly asking if it was possible to have a bier - and not take a vine for me - as I need to continue my travel early in the morning, and vine makes me so tired in the heet. 
He was exploding - and shouted to everyone in the restaurant that this "turist" was ordering a bier - and was yelling to me that if I would like to have a bier - I could go to a pub.
Well - it's more into this story from this hotell, but anyway - it was the drop for me.
And trying to ask a Police about driving rules in France - And I got the message in really "brysk" way - that if I didn't know my self - He would arrest me :(

Well - and now the new speeding system, the alcotest, stickers on the helmets etc etc - No sorry France - I put my money in other countries.

Steinar

gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

STeinar wrote: Hello all
I should probably not write this, but I left France a few years ago - and not been there since - and not planning to visit.

France have changed quite a bit - from the country I know from all my touring on the MC there before.
Now - last time - I only found impolite -  arrogante Police - and had the feeling hotels etc did just not want me. 
Terrible service at hotels,  durty rooms , and even impolite servicing in restaurants

The thing that made me the decision to not visit France anymore - was in the restaurant belonging to the hotel.
Sitting outside and ordered a quite expensive dinner - (everything was expensive)  - and they asked me what sort of vine I would like to have - I was ordering a good white wine for wife , but was kindly asking if it was possible to have a bier - and not take a vine for me - as I need to continue my travel early in the morning, and vine makes me so tired in the heet. 
He was exploding - and shouted to everyone in the restaurant that this "turist" was ordering a bier - and was yelling to me that if I would like to have a bier - I could go to a pub.
Well - it's more into this story from this hotell, but anyway - it was the drop for me.
And trying to ask a Police about driving rules in France - And I got the message in really "brysk" way - that if I didn't know my self - He would arrest me :(

Well - and now the new speeding system, the alcotest, stickers on the helmets etc etc - No sorry France - I put my money in other countries.
Steinar

WOW !  What a dreadful experience !

I have travelled around France for many years (bike and car) and, while I would agree that things have not improved over the years, I have certainly never found anything as bad as what you describe.

My most recent trip (last month) saw me overnight in Laon and Bourg-en-Bresse before heading over the Alps into Italy, where I found standards generally lower than in France.

I am hoping to visit France on the bike later this year so I hope I don't find myself staying / eating in the same places as you !  :wonder:
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

gogs01 wrote:
WOW !  What a dreadful experience !

I have travelled around France for many years (bike and car) and, while I would agree that things have not improved over the years, I have certainly never found anything as bad as what you describe.

My most recent trip (last month) saw me overnight in Laon and Bourg-en-Bresse before heading over the Alps into Italy, where I found standards generally lower than in France.

I am hoping to visit France on the bike later this year so I hope I don't find myself staying / eating in the same places as you !  :wonder:

Yes - please - I do not say that all places etc etc in France is bad - this was one of many insidens on my last tour there.

STeinar

MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

STeinar wrote: Hello all

My experience of France has been very different over the last few years. Generally people seem to be helpful and polite even when presented  with an ignorant Brit that can't manage more than 10 French words.
I think the French take the whole fine dining /cuisine thing more seriously than other countries, I got a noticably raised eyebrow when I asked for a steak to be cooked medium on my last trip.
Regarding hotels we've tended to stay out of the main tourist areas and use a fair number of hotels in the Logis group. In my experience these are smaller, family run hotels that offer good custom service. The only exception was the Hotel le Commerce in Mirepoix which was run by an elderly couple that looked like they hadn't smiled in the last 10 years. However, it just added to the charm of the place and I would use it again.
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

MikeS wrote:
My experience of France has been very different over the last few years. Generally people seem to be helpful and polite even when presented  with an ignorant Brit that can't manage more than 10 French words.
I think the French take the whole fine dining /cuisine thing more seriously than other countries, I got a noticably raised eyebrow when I asked for a steak to be cooked medium on my last trip.
Regarding hotels we've tended to stay out of the main tourist areas and use a fair number of hotels in the Logis group. In my experience these are smaller, family run hotels that offer good custom service. The only exception was the Hotel le Commerce in Mirepoix which was run by an elderly couple that looked like they hadn't smiled in the last 10 years. However, it just added to the charm of the place and I would use it again.

Yes - I know - It was just not my toure that year - a lott of not so nice things happened on that toure - and the sum of it - just made it for me

BBT600

Post by BBT600 »

I’m currently in Verdon & coming to the end of a Les route des grandes Alpes tour(sort of) im aware that the speed limits were reduced last year and I’ve tried to stick below them at all times. But lots of the signs on the country roads still state 90kph, when I’m 100% sure that they should be 80kph. Also, I haven’t seen ANY cameras, either fixed or the new mobile types. And driving at 80 in a signed 90 zone generally gets you an irritated French driver very close behind!! [size=78%]I could be setting myself up for a fall, because I might receive the unwanted envelope when I get home, but I’ll keep you informed [/size]
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

On my way back from Austria recently my sat nav diverted my away from the peage around Strasbourg and I had enormous fun on a series of D roads. Followed by two speeding tickets less than a week later. Damned if I could spot the cameras.And I also think that France has changed - not so laid back any more, and everything is expensive. People are still nice though.
BBT600

Post by BBT600 »

Update to my post from the 9th July. We are back from France and I didn’t see much evidence of an increase in speed enforcement. My pillion did see one of the new mobile cameras set up on the opposite carriageway at some roadworks. These are the odd looking low white trailers that are left by the roadside. But otherwise no obvious increase in fixed cameras or police radar activity.
Dee Dub

Post by Dee Dub »

If any UK members here are about to take a trip around Europe, please note that speed cameras are not (normally) painted bright yellow! In fact some are designed to look like roadside objects, such as trash bins.

You choose your action and you accept the consequences.
DW
Chattan

Post by Chattan »

I currently live in France, west of Toulouse and the new speed camera's being installed are 'state of the art' they can tell who's driving if you are in a car, if you are wearing a seatbelt etc, the speed limit on the 'A' type roads is 80kph, roughly 50mph, some section of roads are 90KPH and motorways are generally 110KPH, Peage is 130KPH in dry conditions and 110KPH if it's wet or raining. there are reciprocal agreements within the EU countries and it will continue after Brexit. I have been fines twice in a year for speeding in my car both times I was approx 2mph over the limit, I pay my fines with the 'App' the French have introduced for fine, not my favourite one! There has been rumours of an increase of the 80 limit back to 90 but in my region, district 82 it's not changed. You will also get the Mandatory 'tailgate' experience as this is a French pastime and it is a regular experience in Toulouse, French driving is altogether the worst I have witnessed including bikers and scooter riders most have a death wish and carry out dangerous manoeuvres regularly. If you come and ride here try to use 'off the beaten track' routes as they are usually awesome roads with little or no traffic!
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

I have friends who live near Perigueux and I regularly drive or ride down to visit them.  In the car I use the Autoroutes and can do the journey in a (long) day.  On the bike I avoid Autoroutes as much as possible and it takes me two days - a pleasant overnight stop in Rouen followed by a nine hour ride the next day (when the limit was 90 - I shall be going again at the end of this month so I'll see what difference 80 makes).  Tailgating I've only really noticed to be a problem in the car;  the suicidal overtaking manoeuvres are concerning, but having been driven in India I now take a more relaxed view.....

I noticed one camera on an Autoroute which looked like a large rock when approaching....