Ideas for additional RT-LC storage space - flat repair kit etc

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Jack_the_Lad
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Ideas for additional RT-LC storage space - flat repair kit etc

Post by Jack_the_Lad »

Some time ago, I was looking for ideas for storage spaces to store items so that they don't eat into pannier or top case space without using extra bags.

I want to load the topcase as little as possible except when touring, and don't always want the panniers either, but I always want to take my first aid kit, flat repair kit and mini pump with me. On my GSA, its easy - there's an aftermarket toolbox which lives permanently & unobtrusively behind the pannier rack. The RT is a little less accommodating...
A tank bag is an option. A soft bag on the rack is a solution; a small Storm or Pelican case would be another, but all a little fugly. Any of those mean that whenever swapping bags around, the flat repair kit has to be moved - I wanted to leave it along with a couple of tools on the bike somehow, somewhere and forget it until needed.
A gent by the name of Rossy from across the Big Water answered my question on another forum: You could always consider removing the speaker covers then taking away the speakers, you will be left with 2 large voids, I use an Autocom and have soldered my left and right audio from the Alpine Bluetooth unit into the Autocom SPA.  I carry puncture repair kit and compressor in the nearside and bulbs, tape, socket toolkit and gloves in the offside, then replaced the covers. Hope this helps.
As I never intend using the speakers, I thought this was an excellent suggestion.Careful perusal of eBay yielded a left- and right-side pair of dead (dead = cheap) speaker housings for the RT.  I think one was 2015 and the other 2017, but no matter, they fit.  Some attention with a Dremel or rotary tool to remove the guts, and I have protection from water and nothing rubs against anything important.
All the tools that I hope never to use (flat repair kit, air pump, spare bulbs etc) now live on the bike invisibly and without need for extra bags etc.  When & if needed, a moment with a 25 Torx gives me access.
Hope this helps someone else. 

Alex
Last edited by Jack_the_Lad on Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
R1250RS • R1200RT • Commando 850 Mk 2a
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Ideas for additional RT-LC storage space - flat repair kit etc

Post by T6pilot »

Great idea
Can you send some pics

Jim
Jim
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

You don't need the speakers. On my 2017 I took my speakers out as that liberates a lot more usable space. I stash a huge amount of stuff behind those grills. In fact I'd recommend NOT to have the speaker bodies.
Here's what I have stuffed in mine.
Full tool roll
First aid kit
Spare light bulbs
Hi viz vest
Compressor
Tyre repair stuff
sponge
and more...
MrCabbage

Post by MrCabbage »

Very tempted to do this but worry about what I'll do to re-sale value
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

MrCabbage wrote: Very tempted to do this but worry about what I'll do to re-sale value

??

When the time for me to sell comes, I will remove my tools, first aid kit and assorted stowed items from behind the grills, then refit the loudspeakers. It will be better than most, because the loudspeaker pods are tucked away in a nice dry clean environment until that time comes.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

bandytales wrote:
??

When the time for me to sell comes, I will remove my tools, first aid kit and assorted stowed items from behind the grills, then refit the loudspeakers. It will be better than most, because the loudspeaker pods are tucked away in a nice dry clean environment until that time comes.

Have you left the covers secured with the torx screws or have you fitted some kind of quick release setup. Just thinking if I was to put my first aid kit there, I would want to get to it rapido if needed.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Casbar wrote:
Have you left the covers secured with the torx screws or have you fitted some kind of quick release setup. Just thinking if I was to put my first aid kit there, I would want to get to it rapido if needed.

I have used M5 thumb screws. Something like these work well - [size=78%]https://www.rosscastors.co.uk/15mm-m5-x-15mm-male-thumb-screw.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9bmk0paZ4wIVmPhRCh1z0Ai7EAQYAiABEgKt0vD_BwE[/size]
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Excellant  8)
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Now you have a great idea, I wouldn’t recommend first aide kit there, you may need quicker access
Jim
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

My 2016 does not have the speakers behind the grilles anyway.  Just loads of space.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Sprintgull wrote: My 2016 does not have the speakers behind the grilles anyway.  Just loads of space.

Win!
Jack_the_Lad
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by Jack_the_Lad »

Obviously everyone has their own opinion how to do this.

I went for a couple of cheap dead speaker boxes off eBay, for my 2018 RT.  Surgery on the dead speaker boxes is simple: remove the speakers, cut off the face of the boxes that face the rider, clean up the edges.  This leaves two cubby holes if you like, which will be covered by the original speaker grille / covers.

Definitely very much less room than just removing the boxes, but tools etc aren't rubbing on anything, nor will your stored items get wet in a downpour.  Whether this latter point matters to you or not probably depends on where you live and how much & how heavy is your rain.  The southern US can be a little bit crazy in this respect - not that uncommon to have 6" in a afternoon. Best to be home with a good book at the time but that can't always be arranged.

The gutted speaker boxes yield exactly 3 liters of extremely awkwardly shaped storage between them; you'd probably have 5 liters of less restrictive shaped storage without boxes.

In the left side box I can fit an air pump, JB Weld & Loctite, gloves, a Tow-Buddy, 1 x 100gr & 1 x 60gr spare CO2 cartridges for his & her Helite vests.  On the right: fuses, torx & a few hex wrenches, duct & electrical tape, a multi-tool (with pliers for removing nails from punctured tires and a knife to cut off repair strings),mini voltmeter, Stop'n'Go flat repair kit, tire pressure gauge, front axle / oil filler tool.

I really liked the idea of thumb screws but decided that as these are items I will use - hopefully - only VERY rarely I chose to use tamper resistant button head torx screws, and I keep a T25 stubby in the lockable left storage bin, along with a few other bits & pieces.

First Aid always goes in the top box, so it can be accessed by me or anyone else even if the bike is lying one side or the other - preferably it is upright, and I'm helping someone else, but you never know.  Other tools are stashed in the side panels & panniers. 

In the last few years I've been lucky with my non-vintage bikes - the only tools I've needed by the roadside was the flat repair kit, pump & tire gauge, and a hammer (to sort a bent rim thanks to a larger than expected & unmissable pothole).  The hammer was someone else's, and on long trips I now carry a very short handle one.

Left side, speaker box removed - lots of daylight!

[attachimg=1]       

Right side, chopped speaker box, first pass before cleaning it up

[attachimg=2]
Attachments
IMG_20190707_171715.jpg
IMG_20190707_160557.jpg
Last edited by Jack_the_Lad on Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
R1250RS • R1200RT • Commando 850 Mk 2a
ezymount

Post by ezymount »

For a multi use option, consider the LazyRider bag. Waterproof, access from either side, easy on, easy off as needed, great backrest with adjustable lumbar support ! I’ve used this bag on 4 diff bikes...
Attachments
1D006B8F-8DC5-4245-A812-C4DAD42DE05B.jpeg
Jim - 2020 ‘B’
Tom Stewart

Post by Tom Stewart »

ezymount wrote: For a multi use option, consider the LazyRider bag. Waterproof, access from either side, easy on, easy off as needed, great backrest with adjustable lumbar support ! I’ve used this bag on 4 diff bikes...
Ezymount:
Can you fit the top box on the back with the LazyRider bag?Are you able to lean back and relax on the LazyRider? I purchased a backrest that fit the bike, but I returned because I couldn't lean back AND touch the handlebars.
Thanks,ts
Last edited by Tom Stewart on Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.