Looking at some changes

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
MEM62

Looking at some changes

Post by MEM62 »

I must confess that, whenever discussions around changing screens arise I am usually a bit cynical as I have not particularly had an issue with my OE screen.  That may now have changed.  I am starting to suffer with tinnitus and I am finding that, on longer journeys, the wind  noise is having an impact.  (We just returned from a tour of Spain so it was particularly noticeable)  I do wear custom made earplugs from Ultimate Ear, which are about as good as you can get but I am looking to reduce noise further if it is possible. 

As an interesting note, after two weeks on the RT, I was out on my 1250 Bandit this weekend and I has less turbulence and wind noise on the Bandit than I did on the RT.  The problem, of course, is that this is not an exact science as it is a combination of rider height, screen and, sometimes, helmet also.  (I have had helmets that are quiet on the RT but noisy on the Bandit and others that are the other way round)

What I would like is a reduction in wind noise and buffeting but also a screen that is a little shorter/lower so that I can have a bit more air-flow on hotter days.  I guess the research starts here. 

I have had my twin-cam from new in January 2013 and still plan to keep it long term.  As a one-owner pampered machine it should still have many years of enjoyable life left in it.     

k900r

Re: Looking at some changes

Post by k900r »

You’re right about the various factors of course. I have both a standard and a short summer screen for the warmer months.
I also use ultimate ear plugs

I’ve personally not found the wind noise to be any worse than other bikes (and of course one of the main reasons for a shorter screen is to have more airflow (which inevitably means more noise)

What Helmet do you have? Personally a user Schuberth which is really quiet.

You may also wish to explore adding “winglets”, never used them myself but a friend swore they made. Difference for him. They add to the existing clear winglets just below and either side of the screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MEM62

Re: Looking at some changes

Post by MEM62 »

I have a C4 and a Shoei Qwest.  The noise when wearing the Shoei is about the same on a naked bike or the RT.  The C4 is noisier on the RT than on a naked bike.  I don't think that noise levels are just about more or less airflow - it's also about how smooth that airflow is.