Spare Key Cutting

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Spare Key Cutting

Post by MikeS »

I've just bought a second hand 28L top box off eBay, came with one key. Can I get a  spare one cut  from it anywhere? Is it as simple as going to the local Timpsons or do you need to supply a blank? Not fussed about getting a new barrel and matching it to the bike key. I just like the reassurance of having a spare. I'll only being using the box on trips so I'm looking for the easiest option.

Mike
Last edited by MikeS on Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteM

Re: Spare Key Cutting

Post by PeteM »

MikeS wrote: I've just bought a second hand 28L top box off eBay, came with one key. Can I get a  spare one cut  from it anywhere? Is it as simple as going to the local Timpsons or do you need to supply a blank? Not fussed about getting a new barrel and matching it to the bike key. I just like the reassurance of having a spare. I'll only being using the box on trips so I'm looking for the easiest option.

Mike

You might be better off talking to a local locksmith. In my experience place like Timpsons has a more than 50% failure rate whereas locksmiths know what they are doing
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

PeteM wrote:
You might be better off talking to a local locksmith. In my experience place like Timpsons has a more than 50% failure rate whereas locksmiths know what they are doing
Thanks for the advice, I didn't realise they were that bad.
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

MikeS wrote: I've just bought a second hand 28L top box off eBay, came with one key. Can I get a  spare one cut  from it anywhere? Is it as simple as going to the local Timpsons or do you need to supply a blank? Not fussed about getting a new barrel and matching it to the bike key. I just like the reassurance of having a spare. I'll only being using the box on trips so I'm looking for the easiest option.
Mike
Or you could simply remove the lock barrel and match the 'wafers' within to suit your bike's keys - better than having 2 different keys on your keyring! There's a few videos on Youtube showing how to change the wafers around, and removing the lock is a bit fiddly but quite do-able. Alternatively, BMW should be able to supply a lock ready-matched to your bike's keys for you (or them, if you don't mind paying) to fit to the pannier.
Pete
Jack_the_Lad
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by Jack_the_Lad »

I bought my top box used and re-keyed the lock myself after watching the youtube videos.

I followed the re-keying process in this one: https://www.mototrip-tours.com/blog/workshop/rekeying-bmw-case-locks/

The wafers are inexpensive and the process easy, once you get the hang of it. 

Hope this helps!
R1250RS • R1200RT • Commando 850 Mk 2a
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

Jack_the_Lad wrote: I bought my top box used and re-keyed the lock myself after watching the youtube videos.

I followed the re-keying process in this one: https://www.mototrip-tours.com/blog/workshop/rekeying-bmw-case-locks/

The wafers are inexpensive and the process easy, once you get the hang of it. 

Hope this helps!
Yep, much better than carrying 2 different keys! I found the fiddliest bit was releasing the lock from the pannier, but Steve Parry kindly sent me info on the tool BMW recommend for releasing the lock - a bit of bent wire coathanger, to be precise! Anyway, once I'd knocked that up, I had the lock out and ready to re-key in a couple of minutes, and I could do it again easily enough now. My lock wasn't re-keyable though, not without a bit of judicious butchering, some aren't apparently, so I had to buy a new one - I sent Steve my spare key, the lock came ready to fit.

Pete
matgriff

Post by matgriff »

I bought some cheap blank keys of eBay on the recommendation of someone on this site, then took them to my local Timpsons and they cut them just fine in about 5 minutes.

Mat