Six years in and still hanging onto it.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
MEM62

Six years in and still hanging onto it.

Post by MEM62 »

I purchased my twin-cam 1200RT new in January of 2013 so it has been mine for six and a half years.  Despite the relatively pampered life (Garaged, used year round but not in the worst of winter and not on salted roads) it has had a few niggles.  One of the heated grips failed so they had to be replaced, it had an oil leak (yes, really, an oil leak!) and the centre-stand & front fairing stays started to corrode. 

We regularly tour Spain and have recently returned from this years' trip, which was the first time that my other half took her own bike.  She passed her test just under two years ago and breezed through our 1,800 mile trip.  Respect to her for taking that all in her stride and much admiration must go to her MT07 which copes with the journey in a similar manner.  Kate really loves that bike and loves it all the more now so I think that will be living in our garage for some years to come. 

Now back to the RT.  As Kate is using her own bike I questioned whether I really need the RT anymore.  It is not often I ride the bike solo and this was certainly the first long trip I had done without a passenger.  I cam to the conclusion that I will keep it as, although we bought it for two-up touring, it is just too good at what it does to consider getting rid of it.  And having the RT means that I can take all our luggage leaving Kate with just a few bits and pieces in her top case. 

So, the bike has just been returned to me after having the centre stand and fairing stays powder coated so it is in fine condition.  I will consider changing the screen as I am starting to suffer from tinnitus and want to make the ride a quiet as possible.  Up to this point the standard screen was fine but with tinnitus every little bit helps.  I am also going to run the bike up to Hilltop Motorcycle for a remap.  These engines do run lean and the feedback on the difference the remap makes is very positive.  The modest investment in these improvements will make a good bike even better and I look forward to many more miles on it.                     
bandytales

Re: Six years in and still hanging onto it.

Post by bandytales »

MEM62 wrote: I am also going to run the bike up to Hilltop Motorcycle for a remap.
Can I suggest before you remap, you do some careful analysis runs of various times through gears. Something like 40 - 60 mph and 50 - 70mph and 60 to 80mph in various gears on a known piece of flat road and also up a known steep hill. Time it and once you have the remap done repeat on the same roads and you will have real life info. The graph supplied always looks impressive, but it is real life that gives the true answers.

Oh, and keep us posted on what happens!
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

I am sure the MT07 is a smashing machine for Northern Spain. Be thankful Kate does not have the MT09, which gives off enough heat from the left side of the engine to burn one's leg through thinner riding jeans in hot climate.

The RT is one of the best on-road machines for doing anything, anywhere. Keep it!
John Bentall
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

MEM62,
I’m in a similar position to you re two bikes, ie my RT and the wife who has a Burgman 650 Exec, and which we take both of them on our annual Euro tours. Yes, I originally thought the RT would be the ideal two-up tourer, until my wife took her test and then got the biking bug! All credit to her, and she’s told me it’s so much better riding yourself than stuck as a pillion with a restricted view forwards! Re luggage, I too take the lion’s share of it thanks to the cavernous panniers and big top box! Mind you, the underseat storage on the Burgman is formidable, so the important female beauty accessories can also be taken without compromising overall luggage space! I have the 2015 RT with a standard screen. I’m 6’ 2” and normally wear earplugs on long rides, and have the screen set high to minimise wind noise. Yes, I do suffer mild tinnitus, but high screen position with some decent ear plugs helps me enormously. It is a case of each to their own on preferred combinations of screen choice, plugs etc. I left the engine re-mapping alone, as I’ve not had any real reason or wish to re-map it, as it’s been absolutely fine. Again, each to their own on that score I guess. Will I keep it for a few more years? No, probably not. Yes, it’s a great bike for comfort, performance and handling, but the lure of the 1250 is getting stronger!😉🙂
Last edited by Steve F on Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

My wife and I have gone the other way. She used to have a GPZ500S and I had a Triumph Sprint ST1050. When health problems stopped her riding I switched to an RT and she switched to pillion. Have never looked back, in fact we are leaving in a couple of hours to fly to Vancouver where I am hiring a 1200RT LC to ride over the Rockies  :)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

MEM62 wrote:I am also going to run the bike up to Hilltop Motorcycle for a remap. These engines do run lean and the feedback on the difference the remap makes is very positive.
When are you going to Hilltop, I've got my 2012 Twin-cam booked in for the end of August 2019.

I'm not looking for any power gain, just to have the fueling set up correctly for better throttle response & a nicer bike to ride.

I'll not be having the dyno runs, they are just for vanity, my feelings & backside will be the judge of any improvements.
Last edited by David. on Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

The Hilltop option looks good.  Is that something you would need to declare as a mod on your insurance.  Sorry to spoil the fun - knew a guy who had a problem with an insurance claim on a 'chipped' car a few years back
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sprintgull wrote:The Hilltop option looks good. Is that something you would need to declare as a mod on your insurance.
Hilltop say, "our work is invisible to the manufacturer and their dealers, so customer warranty isn’t affected."

Hopefully, it's invisible to insurance companies too!
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

David. wrote: When are you going to Hilltop, I've got my 2012 Twin-cam booked in for the end of August 2019.
I'm not looking for any power gain, just to have the fueling set up correctly for better throttle response & a nicer bike to ride.
I'll not be having the dyno runs, they are just for vanity, my feelings & backside will be the judge of any improvements.
I'll be booking myself in for early August. 

I too am not looking for performance gains, I just want the fuelling to be right.  These bikes are set to run lean, which means a snatchy throttle response and hotter running.  Mine nearly had a meltdown in a traffic jam in Madrid a few weeks back.  I am sure that it would not have been so bad if the bike did not run so lean.  It would still have got hot but not as hot.  38+ degrees, an air-cooled motorcycle and semi-stationary traffic do not make for a good experience.   
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

MEM62 wrote: an air-cooled motorcycle and semi-stationary traffic do not make for a good experience. 

Air cooled motorcycles have been doing fine for years. They can get a bit rattly, but it doesn't seem to phase them at all. That is also true for most other brands as well. Just think about those ancient Enfield Indians coping with hot city life in places around the world - indeed, such as India!
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

MEM62 wrote:An air-cooled motorcycle and semi-stationary traffic do not make for a good experience.
Could always retro fit an RT-P oil cooler fan, https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/ ... affic.html
Last edited by David. on Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.