Lockable Storage Cubby !

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
ezymount

Lockable Storage Cubby !

Post by ezymount »

For all you 2014+ RT’ers that ride most of the time, without a passenger..

Who would be interested in a lockable, waterproof storage area, with a built-in heated, adjustable backrest, that would replace your rear seat ?

Jim - 2020 ‘B’
MrCabbage

Re: Lockable Storage Cubby !

Post by MrCabbage »

Could I easily swap back to seat when 'er indoors decides the weather is just perfect enough for her to tag along?
ezymount

Post by ezymount »

Cubby would be built on your original rear seat base.
Jim - 2020 ‘B’
ezymount

Post by ezymount »

[size=7px]Heated backrest would only be avail, if orig seat base is factory heated..[/size]
Jim - 2020 ‘B’
rangemaster728

Lockable Storage Cubby !

Post by rangemaster728 »

Oooh...you mean something like a Smuggler Trunk for a wethead?

I could see getting one & modding it to add the heated backrest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ezymount

Post by ezymount »

rangemaster728 wrote: Oooh...you mean something like a Smuggler Trunk for a wethead?

Better unit, improved design, tall enough to incorporate useable backrest, with keyed alike lockable lid.
Jim - 2020 ‘B’
ezymount

Post by ezymount »

Re: (Could I easily swap back to seat when 'er indoors decides the weather is just perfect enough for her to tag along?)

We have considered this issue, after lots of comments and considerations for being able to accommodate occassional
rear seat use...

I believe we have developed a solution that will allow the storage cubby to be easily set up and secured on top of any
rear seat and be removed, as needed. More work and research is needed on this concept, so more info on it early next year.           
Jim - 2020 ‘B’
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

ezymount wrote: For all you 2014+ RT’ers that ride most of the time, without a passenger..

Who would be interested in a lockable, waterproof storage area, with a built-in heated, adjustable backrest, that would replace your rear seat ?
Oh yes very interested!

I have looked at the Corbin Smugger Trunk, A very high price not to include a standard BMW lock or even BMW heated seat connectors. You also have to replace the driver's seat which does not seem really necessary if all you want is rear storage. They seem to be taking their customers for granted as cash cows and not looking to provide full solutions despite charging top dollar.

2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I've often thought of fabricating something similar.  I envisioned a shoulder-high rigid box, with a cut-out shape at the top to accommodate an opened trunk lid with a slightly angled, padded backrest for back support on very long rides. I thought it'd be convenient if the storage space could be accessed from side doors, opening on two or three horizontal compartments, with perhaps the topmost with a lid for larger items.  This would allow easy access without digging around or removing most of the contents to get to the small item you want, or undoing all those bungies on a conventional touring rear-seat set up.  This would improve handling,too, since much of the heavier things such as tools, water, etc. could be placed in the box which is on the bike's center line, rather in the bags which are outboard and would make negotiating the twisties more difficult due to the extended lateral weight of the bags.  As with conventional touring, the problem would be the dearth of attachment points for the box, or for bungies in conventional use.  How can the make a touring bike with so few of them?
heathy65

Post by heathy65 »

Why on earth would anyone want to make their RT look like a pizza delivery scooter?