Possibly a dimwit question.....

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Possibly a dimwit question.....

Post by milleplod »

.......but I'll ask it anyway!  :alas:

I still use an old Zumo 400 when I need to, which admittedly isn't very often, but one of its limitations annoyed me t'other day! Routes can only be uploaded to it via cable - whilst away with my daughter earlier this week, I could have done with being able to alter a route I'd put into it, but couldn't as I only had my Samsung tablet with me.

I use Tourstart for route planning, which I have on my tablet. If I connect the Zumo with a cable (microUSB to miniUSB),will the tablet recognise the Zumo in the same way that my laptop/desktop do? Or is that wishful thinking, which I do a lot of when the prospect of spending money hoves into view.....?!  :-[

I suppose this is more of a computer question really, but just wondered if anyone could advise.

Pete
Levisp

Re: Possibly a dimwit question.....

Post by Levisp »

Sorry I cannot answer your question but if you ever plan to upgrade your satnav then consider Tomtom Rider 550. I sold my Garmin and bought the Tomtom because of the connectivity issue with computers and cables. I wanted something I could plan or alter a route without having to plug into a computer. The Rider 550 has built wifi. Result updates are done by device no need to plug in a computer. Routes planned on a computer or tablet can be saved to Tomtom Mydrive. These can then be synced to the Rider 550 via an internet connection or your phone 3/4G. Works well.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

So how does the Tom Tom fit into the whole on the RT dash then? I have had Garmin Sat Nav for 15 years or more and can't say having a cable to connect has ever been top of my burins issues list, bit like a Sat Nav lock, but that is done to death before :)
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Casbar wrote: So how does the Tom Tom fit into the whole on the RT dash then? I have had Garmin Sat Nav for 15 years or more and can't say having a cable to connect has ever been top of my burins issues list, bit like a Sat Nav lock, but that is done to death before :)

Like this.
Attachments
IMG_0288.jpg
IMG_0287.jpg
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

With the Garmin Sat Nav 6 (possibly the 5 also) you can bluetooth routes to each other and also from your computer etc.
Rambler358

Post by Rambler358 »

milleplod wrote:If I connect the Zumo with a cable (microUSB to miniUSB),will the tablet recognise the Zumo in the same way that my laptop/desktop do?
It can't hurt to try! Let us know how it goes.
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Rambler358 wrote: It can't hurt to try! Let us know how it goes.
Indeed - I've lashed out and spent £2.29 (including delivery!) on a cable.  ;D

Pete
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

milleplod wrote: Indeed - I've lashed out and spent £2.29 (including delivery!) on a cable.  ;D

Pete
Blimey... you don't hold back when you're after something  :)
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Levisp wrote:
Like this.

Looks good, is it a plug and play or do you have to alter the Garmin holder? Assume you can't zoom or anything with the wonder wheel, not that its much use.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

milleplod wrote: Indeed - I've lashed out and spent £2.29 (including delivery!) on a cable.  ;D

Pete

Maybe it's me being a dimwit now, but I bought a cheap cable in the past and found that it would allow me to charge the device but not transfer data.

So, if your cable does the trick that's you sorted but, if it doesn't, it could be the "wrong type of" cable.  Not that I'm any kind of an expert on this kind of stuff mind .....
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Casbar wrote:
Looks good, is it a plug and play or do you have to alter the Garmin holder? Assume you can't zoom or anything with the wonder wheel, not that its much use.

Not plug and play. The original Garmin holder has to be removed. Luckily the screw holes are a match for the Tomtom holder. However in order to get the Tomtom on / off  the holder has to be spaced out from the dash. So it looks better made the grey plastic face plate. Power comes from a separate harness keeping away from the bikes Can-Bus. Wonder wheel does nothing. Never used it anyway. Overall very pleased with the results. However like everything in life its not perfect. Wish the screen was a little bigger and there is no music player. However its a lot cheaper and for me the in built wifi is the main selling point. MyDrive works well and if you don't like it you can import route files from other planning software. I do like planning short routes using my iPhone and the MyDrive app. No more faffing with satnavs.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Levisp wrote:
Not plug and play. The original Garmin holder has to be removed. Luckily the screw holes are a match for the Tomtom holder. However in order to get the Tomtom on / off  the holder has to be spaced out from the dash. So it looks better made the grey plastic face plate. Power comes from a separate harness keeping away from the bikes Can-Bus. Wonder wheel does nothing. Never used it anyway. Overall very pleased with the results. However like everything in life its not perfect. Wish the screen was a little bigger and there is no music player. However its a lot cheaper and for me the in built wifi is the main selling point. MyDrive works well and if you don't like it you can import route files from other planning software. I do like planning short routes using my iPhone and the MyDrive app. No more faffing with satnavs.

Looks like a good workable compromise.
Rambler358

Post by Rambler358 »

Or there's the option of just using your phone for GPS navigation. Plenty of routing apps available - inRoute, MyRoute-app, Rever, etc.  I just started playing with Rever, and the Butler Maps layer is nice for finding great roads.  Though I still prefer using BaseCamp with my Nav 6.