Fitting a Direct power connection to R1250RT Battery

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Easyrider5258
Been liked: 3 times

Fitting a Direct power connection to R1250RT Battery

Post by Easyrider5258 »

Hi, I would like to fit a direct connection to my battery on a R1250RT so I can use my Ctek MX5 charger, the charger comes with a lead and plug ready to fit to the battery, do I need to hook up another battery ( I have one spare) to the leads before disconnecting my battery to provide uninterrupted power to the bike whist fitting the new lead?

Thanks
East Anglia (Fenland)
Hors Piste

Re: Fitting a Direct power connection to R1250RT Battery

Post by Hors Piste »

I have recently disconnected my battery in order to fit some cables and, rather annoyingly, the service light came on when I reconnected. This didn't happen with my previous F800ST. F800GT and R1200RS (all CAN bus bikes) so I wasn't expecting it with the RT.
Rather than traipse back and forth to the dealer I bit the bullet and bought a GS911. What a useful device!
So the answer is yes, probably.

BTW, I suggest using the "jump start" pole as the +ve connection, much easier than accessing the +ve terminal of the battery itself. (If you hadn't already thought of that)
Last edited by Hors Piste on Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I have a 1250 and managed to hook up my Cansmart and another power lead without disconnection  of the battery. You can reach the neg terminal and can use the positive fly stud to connect to. If you just keep your finger on the neg terminal, then power should be maintained.

But here is the question, before I traded my 2014 LC in for the 1250, I took the battery out to get some leads off and connected it back up and the service light came on. But to reset the service light, all I had to do was put the correct date back in on the menu screen.

So is the 1250 different in that you need to go to the dealer if you disconnect the battery?
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

I didn't think about putting the date in  :not speak:  Since the bike gets that from the Nav VI and it wasn't on the bike at the time I guess the date was wrong....  I don't know if that would have fixed the service light, but whatever - I now have a GS911  :))
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Hors Piste wrote: I didn't think about putting the date in not Since the bike gets that from the Nav VI and it wasn't on the bike at the time I guess the date was wrong....  I don't know if that would have fixed the service light, but whatever - I now have a GS911  :) )

Date is set from the menu on the bike, time can sync from the sat nav if you have that option checked in the menu. Service light is date driven. Like i said that is all you had to do on the R1200RT LC. Not sure if its the same on the 1250, I didn't have the issue as I managed to keep the connection going.
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

Guess I was just confused (easily done at my age) by the fact that my previous 3 bikes had not done this.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Hors Piste wrote: Guess I was just confused (easily done at my age) by the fact that my previous 3 bikes had not done this.

I'm not saying this isn't the case with the 1250, like I said, I haven't tried it on my new bike. But it did work on my 2014 1200 :)