rt 1200 BMW 2014 Upgrade recomendations & top case

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
pk

rt 1200 BMW 2014 Upgrade recomendations & top case

Post by pk »

Just bought a used rt, graduating from a sportster. I was wondering about recommendations for upgrades or things I should look out for. So far I have put in a Nav.Thanks!
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: rt 1200 BMW 2014 Upgrade recomendations & top case

Post by T6pilot »

If the seat isn’t right, get a custom one, lots of options
Jim
MrCabbage

Post by MrCabbage »

Pretty darned good as they are, but I've swapped to a Puig touring screen, added a Givi rack and topbox and a foot extender for the sidestand
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

pk wrote: Just bought a used rt, graduating from a sportster. I was wondering about recommendations for upgrades or things I should look out for. So far I have put in a Nav.Thanks!

Well, as for upgrades, I would suggest adding things that you feel aren't right for you at the moment and go from there.
So, for example, the stock screen really is poor. Some people cope with it, but don't know what they are missing if they had changed, some aftermarket screens are stunning. IMHO, the best by far, is the Werks Quiet Ride. ([size=78%]https://www.werksparts.com/quiet-ride-windshield---bmw.html[/size]).

The same applies to the seat. Aftermarket seats are way better. I am using a Sargent seat and it is pretty good. However, I don't have access to a Corbin or Russell Day Long saddle so I can't comment on those. They are meant to be really good too.

Lighting felt a bit lame for me, so I fitted some high quality LED replacement bulbs for main and dip beam. A very worthwhile change.
Paint protection film - ([size=78%]https://thetankslapper.biz/r1200rt-total-protection-kit-2014-2019/[/size])

Then we come to the nice to have bits:
Front mudguard extender (fender extender such as the Machine Art Moto Avant fender extender).
Cylinder head covers - I like the BMW ones, but there are many others to choose from.
Front and rear Crash bars. Ilium Works are one of the best.
Handlebar risers - again Ilium Works for me, but there are Wunderlich, Helibar to name but 3.
Side stand enlarger

Top boxes - well I like the new SHAD boxes that you can change the size of. However, I use the BMW 49 and 28 litre boxes.

k900r

Post by k900r »

I have a different view.
Stock screen and seat are perfectly fine for me. I did buy a short sport screen I use in the summer.
Don’t need bar risers and hate crash bars personally.
I have fitted cylinder guards and a Denali sound bomb horn.
Never changed the lights as I have the daytime running/angel eye lights.
Get a genuine Bmw top case so it works with central locking and int light (I fitted my own extra LED brake light to the box for £30 instead of the £130 BMW wanted)
Get a Nav V or VI
Fitted an Innov hard wired camera too.

Enjoy the ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

If the BMW 49l top case is the same as the one supplied for the current RT just be aware that it will not accommodate my size 60/61 System 7 BMW helmet  :alas:
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I still have the stock seat, find it fine, but I am in the minority on this one :)

Changed my screen to Werks Quiet ride, very good

Lights, fitted Denali D2 under the wing mirrors. I was coming back from Scotland a couple of months ago and was quite shocked at the effectiveness of the Angel Eyes on my mates bike, he was following me on the motorway, you could not see his bike from the other traffic, the lights are not very effective, his hi vis stood out more. If I hadn't fitted extra spots, I would be running with my headlight on rather than just the Angel Eyes. Before I had the Denali spots, I used to switch my BMW Aux lights on as well, which on my 2014 meant I had to have my headlight on. On my 1250, you can switch the Aux lights on with the Angel Eyes.

I did fit engine bars to my new bike, mainly because I thought it would be sods law I would drop a brand new bike :) Only had cylinder head guards on my last 1200, but never dropped it.

Fender extender is also a good idea. I have also fitted Skene P3 running and brake lights on my number plate, as I don't always have my top box on with the high level brake light.