Top Case Interior Bulb/light replacement

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
joemuscat64

Top Case Interior Bulb/light replacement

Post by joemuscat64 »

Can anyone help me with this please? I have a 2015 1200RT  and my topcase interior light is out. Does anyone know how to replace this light. Just got my RT yesterday and totally new to this. maybe somebody with the experience can enlighten me a little. Thanks . Joe
Hors Piste

Re: Top Case Interior Bulb/light replacement

Post by Hors Piste »

Forgive the dumb question but have you checked that the cable from the topcase is plugged in?  Easy check if the central locking works.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

joemuscat64 wrote: Can anyone help me with this please? I have a 2015 1200RT  and my topcase interior light is out. Does anyone know how to replace this light. Just got my RT yesterday and totally new to this. maybe somebody with the experience can enlighten me a little. Thanks . Joe

Just leave it for the dealer to do when you have your bike serviced. It surely should be a warranty replacement at this age / mileage.
joemuscat64

Post by joemuscat64 »

Yes the central lock works. i eliminated that already. I'm new to THIS bike not stupid... lolol  :alas:
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

Well I did say it was a dumb question :)) Intriguingly, the light fitting does not appear to be listed in the parts fiche.

It looks like you'd have to separate the inner part of the lid from the outer to get at it, not a job for those pressed for time.  I'm guessing it's an LED, not a bulb.
Last edited by Hors Piste on Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Are bulbs/lights covered under a warranty, they are not listed as part of the "Electrical system" in the policy handbook.
Last edited by David. on Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joemuscat64

Post by joemuscat64 »

Hors Piste wrote: Well I did say it was a dumb question :) ) Intriguingly, the light fitting does not appear to be listed in the parts fiche.

It looks like you'd have to separate the inner part of the lid from the outer to get at it, not a job for those pressed for time.  I'm guessing it's an LED, not a bulb.

I think you might be right. I have also looked everywhere for this issue and have yet to get any joy. Should be a simple thing to fix.
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

joemuscat64 wrote: Can anyone help me with this please? I have a 2015 1200RT  and my topcase interior light is out. Does anyone know how to replace this light. Just got my RT yesterday and totally new to this. maybe somebody with the experience can enlighten me a little. Thanks . Joe

Not often this leds are broken, but the switch on the open/close handle often are.  And there is a tiny small connector there that could have disconnected !

Check this before the led it selves ....

joemuscat64

Post by joemuscat64 »

STeinar wrote:
Not often this leds are broken, but the switch on the open/close handle often are.  And there is a tiny small connector there that could have disconnected !

Check this before the led it selves ....

Thanks ...will check that first.