My first RT and RT Forum

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
joemuscat64

My first RT and RT Forum

Post by joemuscat64 »

I've posted before but I hadn't received my RT yet. I live in Malta and I just bought a used (but in pristine condition) R1200RT LC LE (2015). First few days riding it and already can't get enough of it. Thank you for having me on the Forum. I intend to learn as much as possible from all of you and hopefully, where I can, help others too.
Attachments
67228961_506415536771750_8112206036795916288_n.jpg
bandytales

Re: My first RT and RT Forum

Post by bandytales »

joemuscat64 wrote: I've posted before but I hadn't received my RT yet. I live in Malta and I just bought a used (but in pristine condition) R1200RT LC LE (2015). First few days riding it and already can't get enough of it. Thank you for having me on the Forum. I intend to learn as much as possible from all of you and hopefully, where I can, help others too.

Welcome.
What colour bike is that?
Do you have any more pictures of it?
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Joe
Your bike is the fastest color by far
Enjoy the new ride
Jim
Jim
joemuscat64

Post by joemuscat64 »

bandytales wrote:
Welcome.
What colour bike is that?
Do you have any more pictures of it?

It's the 2015 Ebony metallic.... In bright sunlight the red in the paint comes out stronger.. Attaching a picture taken by previous owner in
less sunny conditions.
Attachments
21159c0c5da74b9b897dc9737c765bef.jpg
joemuscat64

Post by joemuscat64 »

T6pilot wrote: Joe
Your bike is the fastest color by far
Enjoy the new ride
Jim

Fastest RT I have ....hehe ;)
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

joemuscat64 wrote:
It's the 2015 Ebony metallic.... In bright sunlight the red in the paint comes out stronger.. Attaching a picture taken by previous owner in
less sunny conditions.

Wow, that looks really red in that first picture!
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I was stationed in Tigne barracks in Sliema many many years ago and my memory is of a fairly small island with no motorways  or indeed any great distance to travel on any kind of road.
Has Malta changed, or is this RT going to be shipped to the mainland to stretch it's legs ?  ;D
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
joemuscat64

Post by joemuscat64 »

gogs01 wrote: I was stationed in Tigne barracks in Sliema many many years ago and my memory is of a fairly small island with no motorways  or indeed any great distance to travel on any kind of road.
Has Malta changed, or is this RT going to be shipped to the mainland to stretch it's legs ?  ;D

Wow! Malta has changed so much, you wouldn't recognise it. Not as nice as when you were stationed here. So many cars and so much traffic. Yet we do have the opportunity to travel to Sicily by Catamaran (1 1/2 hr trip) and the roads there are so much fun and weather is like ours, mostly sunny. Sicily is a very big island and it's got everything, Beaches, mountains, lakes and Mount Etna which has an awesome ride all around it. And the cherry on the cake is amazingly delicious cheap food everywhere. So this will see a few Italian roads for sure. From Messina (NE tip of Sicily to mainland Italy it's just a cheap 20 minute trip and you're on the mainland.
Attachments
ETNA POSTCARD.jpg
CURVES MONO.jpg
ROAD TO ETNA SS185.jpg
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

gogs01 wrote: Has Malta changed, or is this RT going to be shipped to the mainland to stretch it's legs ?  ;D

Likewise. I was there on ships(based near Valletta)  on and off from around 1973 to 1983 and there didn't seem much point in having a large bike back then. In fact a trail bike would have been my bike of choice!
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Well, it's true what they say - every day's a school day !

I've been to Sicily twice, including in May this year, and I've just learned that there's a ferry between Sicily and Malta.  I might have been tempted to re-visit Malta if I had known !  :)

I must say there is much to like about Sicily, but my stay in Palermo was spoiled slightly by the feeling of lawlessness amongst road users - only female drivers of newer cars seem to wear seatbelts, everybody seems to use a mobile phone while driving and smoking is still popular behind the wheel.  Seeing someone ticking all three boxes at the same time is not uncommon.  Made me wonder what laws are enforced.

On the upside, the coast road between Messina and Palermo and the roads around Mount Etna are entertaining on a motorcycle and provide some stunning scenery.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
joemuscat64

Post by joemuscat64 »

gogs01 wrote: Well, it's true what they say - every day's a school day !

I've been to Sicily twice, including in May this year, and I've just learned that there's a ferry between Sicily and Malta.  I might have been tempted to re-visit Malta if I had known !  :)

I must say there is much to like about Sicily, but my stay in Palermo was spoiled slightly by the feeling of lawlessness amongst road users - only female drivers of newer cars seem to wear seatbelts, everybody seems to use a mobile phone while driving and smoking is still popular behind the wheel.  Seeing someone ticking all three boxes at the same time is not uncommon.  Made me wonder what laws are enforced.

On the upside, the coast road between Messina and Palermo and the roads around Mount Etna are entertaining on a motorcycle and provide some stunning scenery.

Yes Palermo and Catania are to be avoided really... And Gela... The rest is just awesome.