Head-on collision, I drove away and they had to tow the CAR!

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Head-on collision, I drove away and they had to tow the CAR!

Post by jackronner »

Boy these RT's are built solid.  Going along at about 25 mph, a woman started to turn left across my lane, I think my left cylinder took the brunt, and it absolutely destroyed the corner of her right bumper and literally exploded her tire.  I went flying as the the bike flipped onto its right side and, of course, my first thought was of the bike.  Thought it must be totaled, probably the forks irretrievably bent and body work shredded. But, NO!  Hard bags scratched to hell, but only the right upper fairing cover scratched, a mirror gone and the cylinder head covers gouged, but my extra-wide windshield untouched.  As paramedics tried to assess me, I picked the bike up to show them I'd only had a quad bruise and contusions and didn't need an ambulance.  Then the bike started right up.  What a champ. 

The only worrying thing is that I noticed seepage of motor oil from under the spark plug cover, first on one side, then the other, but the covers themselves weren't even scratched.  The bike runs fine, no smoke out the back, but it's still drooling oil. It has two plugs per cylinder, but if one were compromised I should think I'd feel the difference, no?  Diagrams show an internal spark plug gasket for non-RT models which would seem the likely culprit, and easy to replace, but none for my 2005 RT.  Does it seem likely that such an impact would produce the same result with an internal piece, and on BOTH sides?  Any suggestions on where to look?  This is my only vehicle and, of course, it happened hundreds of miles from home and on a Sunday, so no shops open 'til Tuesday.  I want to solve this pronto.

milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Head-on collision, I drove away and they had to tow the CAR!

Post by milleplod »

Crikey Jack, you had an escape there! Glad you're ok, which is the main thing.

Regarding the oil leak.....hmmmm. Sounds like both rocker covers had an impact - the only think I can think of is that the oil seal at the bottom of each main plug has been dislodged/unseated. They're usually the ones that leak after the rocker cover's (valve covers) been removed for servicing, especially if great care's not taken in refitting the covers. I'd try removing the covers each side and checking those seals - they do go hard over time too, which can cause re-sealing issues once they've been disturbed.
Hope you're not aching too much!
Pete
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Ta, mate.  I think we're on the same page and, typically it's smudged with greasy fingerprints.  Actually, I thought I'd be aching worse the next day, but no.  Everybody was so concerned, but I kept telling them this wasn't my first time down, it was no big deal, please, I know when I'm hurt.  Now let me check out my bike!  Is it just me, or our first thought always for the bike (which doesn't heal)?
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

jackronner wrote: Ta, mate.  I think we're on the same page and, typically it's smudged with greasy fingerprints.  Actually, I thought I'd be aching worse the next day, but no.  Everybody was so concerned, but I kept telling them this wasn't my first time down, it was no big deal, please, I know when I'm hurt.  Now let me check out my bike!  Is it just me, or our first thought always for the bike (which doesn't heal)?
Nope, you're not alone, we always think about the bike....unless we're unconscious!  :alas:

When I got skittled last year in France, on my 1200ST, I have to admit that my very first thought was 'my arse is wet, I'm bleeding badly.....', but I soon realised I'd landed in the only deep puddle for miles!  ;D Immediately after that, I was assessing the bike for rideability, and only then did I properly give myself a once-over. The bike was buggered, btw....I was fine!

Pete
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

jackronner wrote:Diagrams show an internal spark plug gasket for non-RT models which would seem the likely culprit, and easy to replace, but none for my 2005 RT.

# 3,  Part Number - 11 12 7 673 087, Description - INTERIOR GASKET (for spark plug)

T6pilot

Post by T6pilot »

Jack
Hope your not aching too much this morning, usually after a getoff  on bicycle the next day brings out the worse!!
I would definitely have the bike inspected by a BMW dealer for any hidden damage.
Was the other party sited for illegal turn? I would think there insurance would take care of you and the bike(if they have any)
Keep us posted

Jim
Jim
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Lucky escape Jack!  Glad you are okay and hope the bike is not too badly damaged.
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

Glad you cam out of it unscathed.  As Jim suggested, you need to get the bike checked our properly.  Lots of damage can be hidden under all that bodywork.