New 2009 model owner with top box question

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
TrevorAustin

New 2009 model owner with top box question

Post by TrevorAustin »

Hi,[/size]

New owner here, all of a week, loving the new bike but have a Top|Box question.  They are hideously expensive so as I only really want it for the backrest for my wife does anybody know which, if any other BMW models boxes will fit the 1200RT, it has the fitting plate, which appears to need 4 connectors to slide in, and the 1150 ones I've seen only appear to have 2, or will they fit anyway.  Or is there maybe no way to get a cheap backrest?
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Re: New 2009 model owner with top box question

Post by milleplod »

Hi, and welcome to the Forum.
Yep, they do go for strong money, and I don't think earlier boxes will fit later bikes. Motorrad Bohling do the smaller, 28ltr one for more reasonable money https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/uk/bmw-top-case-with-28-liter-inner-space-for-different-bmw-motorcycles.html but if that's still too much, you could consider a Givi of some sort, fitted to your existing rack by using an adapter plate - there's usually plenty of used ones on eBay.
Pete
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Only the BMW 28 and 49 litre top-boxes will fit on the BMW plate without further ado.

Motorworks and James Sherlock will sometimes have these second-hand, and of course there is Fleabay.

Failing that there are umpteen different after-market suppliers such as Givi, Shad, Hepco and Becker whose boxes will fit on if you use their adaptor plate.

A new generic adaptor plate can be fitted on top of the existing BMW one (but looks a little odd like that) or a neater solution is to replace the BMW plate with a Givi, Shad etc custom support.

Suggest you google Givi UK to see what I mean - and there are loads of Givi boxes on Fleabay.

Failing that you could always get a T-shirt with the motto "If you can read this, the b*tch has fallen off the back"
Last edited by beemerboy9 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Givi kit is good but the only thing I would say is that  my wife and my mates wife both complained that the Givi boxes where a lot less comfortable than the BMW ones when we hired bikes in Canada recenly
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Although the BMW boxes are expensive, they hold their value well and are easy to resell. So the cost of ownership over the life of the bike is not too bad.

Motorworks has a small top-box for sale.
Last edited by beemerboy9 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

beemerboy9 wrote: Although the BMW boxes are expensive, they hold their value well and are easy to resell. So the cost of ownership over the life of the bile is not too bad.

Motorworks has a small top-box for sale.
And they look 'right' too - I've yet to see an aftermarket one that looks the part. Horses for courses though!
Pete
TrevorAustin

Post by TrevorAustin »

Thanks for all the replies and the info. Useful stuff, thanks.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Hang in there, you'll pick a decent used one up for a similar price to a new givi box and plate. The actual quality of the box is no better than givi's better boxes, but the BMW one fits better and gives the pillion more room due to its shape and the way it mounts, plus you can key it to your bike if you want.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
bushbikie

Post by bushbikie »

Just thinking outside the square, you only want a topbox for a backrest? Have you considered just looking for a dedicated backrest for your model bike? I have no idea if they exist or not, but ya never know!

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

2016 San Marino Blue
TrevorAustin

Post by TrevorAustin »

bushbikie wrote: Just thinking outside the square, you only want a topbox for a backrest? Have you considered just looking for a dedicated backrest for your model bike? I have no idea if they exist or not, but ya never know!

I have indeed, but they only seem available in the US, so adding shipping and import tax I'll be close to £500 again :) I think she's just going to have to hold tight!
bushbikie

Post by bushbikie »

Paint two targets with crosshairs on the back of your jacket, just a bit below your shoulder blades, with the advice to: "Place boobs here!"

2016 San Marino Blue
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

bushbikie wrote:Have you considered just looking for a dedicated backrest for your model bike? I have no idea if they exist or not, but ya never know!

They do exist
https://www.bobsbmw.com/store/product/bakup-passenger-backrest-for-r1200rt--2013

The are available from sportstouring in the UK but you can probably buy a second hand toolbox for the same price
Last edited by PeteM on Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.