2009 RT gearshift lever adjustment

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

2009 RT gearshift lever adjustment

Post by jackronner »

Mr. Haynes is silent on the subject as far as I can tell.  I assume that you can remove the set screw and slide the lever off and adjust it by rotating it (within limits I should think)  to raise or lower the pedal position. This would seem to entail removing the relevant side plate to expose the shaft end. The guy I just bought my 2009 from must have ridden in his wellies!  Way too high, and I'm having great difficulty downshifting smoothly.
bandytales

Re: 2009 RT gearshift lever adjustment

Post by bandytales »

jackronner wrote: Mr. Haynes is silent on the subject as far as I can tell.  I assume that you can remove the set screw and slide the lever off and adjust it by rotating it (within limits I should think)  to raise or lower the pedal position. This would seem to entail removing the relevant side plate to expose the shaft end. The guy I just bought my 2009 from must have ridden in his wellies!  Way too high, and I'm having great difficulty downshifting smoothly.

Firstly there will be a guide line on the gear lever input shaft on the gearbox. This should line up with the split section of the spline drive.
The angle of the pedal is set up using the adjusters on the ball joints.

Last edited by bandytales on Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
mondeoman
Wales

Post by mondeoman »

On older models, certainly 2013, (like my previous bike), and older, the lever is removed from the spined shaft and repositioned up/down on the shaft splines, on younger models like my 2016 bike it's done via the ball joint adjusters, no need to remove the lever.
Mondeoman
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

mondeoman wrote: On older models, certainly 2013, (like my previous bike),and older, the lever is removed from the spined shaft and repositioned up/down on the shaft splines, on younger models like my 2016 bike it's done via the ball joint adjusters, no need to remove the lever.
Hi Mondeoman.
My information is directly from BMW repair data. That spline stays in a fixed position as per the cursor machined into it. the adjustment is done with the ball joints:

Use the marks to install the gearshift lever in the correct position.
Make sure that the mark on the gear selector shaft is aligned with the gap on the shift lever.
Turn the selector rod to correct the position of the shift lever.
Screw-in depth, selector rod in ball head - min. 3 full threads
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Thanks, folks.  With a mirror I was able to see the adjuster rod to the ball joints.  Seems straightforward, if a bit hard to access.