2019 Highlands Tour

Been on a trip and want to tell the world about it? Use this section to report on ride outs, tours and decent routes you have been on remember we love pictures.
slparry
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT LE Dynamic 2015
Wales

2019 Highlands Tour

Post by slparry »

Well … trip done, just shy of 1500 miles and everyone, except for the motorway slogs, a joy.

The weather Gods were mostly kind :)

Paul Davies and I stopped for coffee at Charnock Richard before making our way to the Kirkstone Pass Inn in the Lakes for lunch for a spot of soup :D

then on upwards to Moffat for afternoon coffee and cake :)

bugged by wasps wherever we stopped which was irritating, I began to believe it was the same (fast) wasp :D

rather than go back onto the motorway we used the road that paralleled the motorway for a while from Moffat which broke the journey nicely

then onto the usual 1st night stop of the Erskine Bridge Hotel

despite the diet, caution was thrown for hols so a pint was in order after a splash in the pool :)

Day 2 was to head north east towards Aberfeldy and the awesome Dukes Pass ….. but was foiled … to find the Pass had been retarmaced and chipped … didn't stop at Killin as we would usually but went on to Kenmore for coffee for a change, pretty little village.

Then on via Pitlochry up to Glenshee for more soup for lunch, stunning piece of tarmac that invites much naughtiness :)

After lunch at Glenshee ski centre (more soup) … it was on towards Balmoral, Liz declined to offer us tea which was a tad rude but hey ho ;)

We had some time to kill before going to the hotel in Tomintoul (the Richmond Hotel) so we carried on towards Aberdeen for a while before getting the sat nav to take us to the hotel. Again it convinces me that as far as Scotland goes wherever you go the roads are often stunning

The hotel was very pleasant, we had dinner that night at the Clockhouse restaurant across the road. As a footnote I'm not sure what the catering industry is going to do after Brexit as everywhere seems to have Eastern European staff!

Next day after a fine breakfast in the Richmond we went up the A9 to Lybster Harbour for coffee (and cake)

Then up to John o Groats for the obligatory pics :)

From there on to the nights stop at the hotel that proclaims itself as the mainlands most remote hotel, The Garvault Hotel..... it is very very remote, took ages to get to and a 400 yard gravel track (off roading on an RT ….. wooo hooo :D)

lovely location, lovely eccentric owners, Adrian and Eva, no mains water, no mains electric, no phone, no tv.... wonderful!

Dinner that evening was with the owners and was a great way of spending an evening chatting and drinking and swapping tales. Adrian was ex RAF pilot and Eva was Austrian.

The battery lighting only extending to half of the hotel so navigating back to the room was via torch :) ….. the room itself did have lighting

Next morning was on the small B road on towards Altnaharra (which took ages) then onto Tongue and picking up the North Coast road and onto to coffee (and treacle tart) at the little café there. Have stopped there before, the owner, from Yorkshire moved up years ago and fell in love with the are and stayed, diving for scallops for a while before setting up the café.

Only moan was the amount of camper vans everywhere, and despite signage saying to allow traffic to overtake at passing places they'd trundle along blocking everyone else's progress.

Stopped for more lunchtime soup (Cullen skink this time) at the Pie Shop in Lochinver before rejoining the NC500 near Kylesku for Ullapool

There was a Harley event in the Highlands that week so there were a few of them in Ullapool, we stopped at the Ferryboat in for coffee and a chat with locals

From Ullapool we continued on to the stop for the third night, the Poolewe Hotel. The hotels rooms are in an annexe behind the hotel and are very pleasant.

after a lovely dinner I was "forced" to have a treble Ardberg 10 years old (it seemed a generous treble)

After breakfast in high winds and rain we set off towards Aplecross for the mornings coffee stop and the ride over the pass (stunning as always) …. stunned to find the pass is now covered by 4G so could post pictures as soon as taking them!

Then on to Eileen Donan for lunch …. guess what …. soup ….

afterwards riding over via Kinlochleven and Glencoe to the Green Welly

before riding down passed Loch Lomond to the Erskine Bridge again

Travelling home was on the bank holiday Saturday so traffic was a bit heavier. We did 1500 miles, the trip went all too quickly.
Steve Parry BMW Motorrad (now KTM) sales executive current toys '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic. '14 F800GS ,'03 R1100S Boxercup, '85 R80RS Mono, 1990 K1
Old-Git

Re: 2019 Highlands Tour

Post by Old-Git »

can't see the pics....?
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Looks great. Glad you enjoyed yourselves.  I've done Scotland twice on a previous bike and enjoyed every mile.  Doubt I've scratched the surface as to what Scotland has to offer, but I've now got the bike to go and further trips in comfort.
slparry
Wales

Post by slparry »

Steve Parry BMW Motorrad (now KTM) sales executive current toys '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic. '14 F800GS ,'03 R1100S Boxercup, '85 R80RS Mono, 1990 K1
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

Glad it went well and the weather was kind to you. We tried to do a similar trip last year and were hit with horrendous weather that caused us to abandon the trip, plus the midges meant we couldn’t stop without clouds of them descending on us and driving us mad.
Obviously we were unlucky but it was in June and we didn’t expect anything like that. Also we had booked (and paid) our accommodation months before as required in some of the hotels we wanted to stay in so didn’t have the option of waiting until a good “weather window”.
A real shame as it was my sons first time to Scotland and he came away traumatised saying he’ll never return!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
slparry
Wales

Post by slparry »

B787MECH wrote: Glad it went well and the weather was kind to you. We tried to do a similar trip last year and were hit with horrendous weather that caused us to abandon the trip, plus the midges meant we couldn’t stop without clouds of them descending on us and driving us mad.
Obviously we were unlucky but it was in June and we didn’t expect anything like that. Also we had booked (and paid) our accommodation months before as required in some of the hotels we wanted to stay in so didn’t have the option of waiting until a good “weather window”.
A real shame as it was my sons first time to Scotland and he came away traumatised saying he’ll never return!
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I use Avon Skin so Soft original.... smells girly but the biting monsters stay away :D
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Second that but make sure its the original version i was told. Apparently royal marines use it. It works.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

It does indeed, I used it up there in June.  Apparently if the little buggers pitch on you it drowns them before they bite (according to a local).  Certainly worked though.  It also made me feel guilty about suggesting an alternative to one of my more gullible acquaintances - diesel. :not:

Apparently someone put him right before he actually tried it.....
slparry
Wales

Post by slparry »

put the route into the GPX downloads section but if you have probs it's here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GM7bGj ... sp=sharing