Touring comfort on RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
MRKWMSN

Touring comfort on RT

Post by MRKWMSN »

Just joined the Forum. I'm currently riding a 2018 K1600B that I've had since 8/2017 and have put 14,000 miles on. I live in Colorado and the bike is great in the mountains. However, on the highway/interstate it catches a lot of bad air and wobbles way too much for my liking. I've made a  lot of changes like windshield and stiffening suspension etc but I can't see myself touring on the B. It's my first BMW and I love the quality of the product.

The thing I loved about my prior HD Ultra was the fairing and the quiet air while riding. I tried riding a GTL, didn't notice same wobble as the B but still felt like there was a lot of buffeting and wind in the cockpit. Seems to me the fairings on the B & GTL don't provide that much protection on your upper body or legs.

I'm considering a Goldwing but frankly the weight concerns me. I'm 64, 5'8" so weight matters. I was attracted to the RT given the lower weight and wider fairing.

What I'd like to know is how calm is it in the cockpit behind the RT fairing when on the interstate or otherwise? Any prior B/GTL owners that have an opinion? Thanks much.
bandytales

Re: Touring comfort on RT

Post by bandytales »

MRKWMSN wrote:
What I'd like to know is how calm is it in the cockpit behind the RT fairing when on the interstate or otherwise? Any prior B/GTL owners that have an opinion? Thanks much.

With the stock screen it is not the best place to spend a long time at Motorway speeds. However, by fitting a suitable height Werks Quiet Ride screen, it is a fantastic change and IF you have to ride on Motorways, it transforms the air management.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Every rider is different and has different expectation.

I find the 1200RT OK, but those who are not totally satisfied have found a excellent solution in the US-made Werks "Quiet Ride" screen.

You need to take a test ride.
John Bentall
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

beemerboy9 wrote:
I find the 1200RT OK, but those who are not totally satisfied have found a excellent solution in the US-made Werks "Quiet Ride" screen.

As you say. However, if you do try different screens, you will soon see what a transformation the Werks Quiet Ride makes. I have no affiliation, but I have tried a variety of screens (and heights), but you soon realise how much the OEM screens fall short.
RTtourer

Post by RTtourer »

MRKWMSN wrote: Just joined the Forum. I'm currently riding a 2018 K1600B that I've had since 8/2017 and have put 14,000 miles on. I live in Colorado and the bike is great in the mountains. However, on the highway/interstate it catches a lot of bad air and wobbles way too much for my liking. I've made a  lot of changes like windshield and stiffening suspension etc but I can't see myself touring on the B. It's my first BMW and I love the quality of the product.

The thing I loved about my prior HD Ultra was the fairing and the quiet air while riding. I tried riding a GTL, didn't notice same wobble as the B but still felt like there was a lot of buffeting and wind in the cockpit. Seems to me the fairings on the B & GTL don't provide that much protection on your upper body or legs.

I'm considering a Goldwing but frankly the weight concerns me. I'm 64, 5'8" so weight matters. I was attracted to the RT given the lower weight and wider fairing.

I can't speak to your K1600B, but I was in a similar situation two years ago. I had come from a couple of HD ultra limiteds (fantastic bikes), but my hot point is wind protection. I had come down w/ very bothersome Tinnitus and wanted the best bike (and helmet, but that's a different story), in terms of wind protection. Lot's of research led me to the RT. I sold my HD and picked up a 17' RT. I've got to admit, I'm far more "drawn" to HD's vs BMW's, but, in my opinion, the RT is the most versatile, best-of-all-worlds motorcycle out there. The wind protection is great (after changing the stock shield to a Werks Quiet Ride). I've gone cross country and down/up the eastern seaboard and felt extremely well protected from the wind/elements with the RT's full fairing/electric windshield. An absolute must for me, was the addition of highway pegs to alleviate knee strain/cramping. I was considering a Goldwing as well, but I didn't necessarily want to go from big to bigger. The loss of 300 lbs. from HD to BMW RT was, to say the least, freeing! I'm not you, but I don't think you could go wrong with the RT!
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Werks Quiet Ride +1.  Transformed the ride along with a Sargent seat.
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

beemerboy9 wrote: Every rider is different and has different expectation.

You need to take a test ride.

Got to agree.  Others rider's opinions don't count for a great deal when it comes to  comfort and the riding experience , we all have our own preconceived ideas of what these things mean.
Get down to the nearest dealer and have a couple of hours on one. You'll soon make your own mind up.
Last edited by MikeS on Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NSBJohn

Post by NSBJohn »

MRKWMSN wrote: Just joined the Forum. I'm currently riding a 2018 K1600B that I've had since 8/2017 and have put 14,000 miles on. I live in Colorado and the bike is great in the mountains. However, on the highway/interstate it catches a lot of bad air and wobbles way too much for my liking. I've made a lot of changes like windshield and stiffening suspension etc but I can't see myself touring on the B. It's my first BMW and I love the quality of the product.
I just went from the Ultra Limited(2015) to the R1250RT. I have a stock windshield, and about 1k miles on the clock. I notice the wind buffet is greater on the RT, when the shield is mid to upper position where I like it. This week my wife was complaining that she feels a great deal of wind compared to the HD. I think the aftermarket shield will help. The weight difference is a plus IMHO, but contributes to the motorcycles reaction to windy conditions. I am 5'9" with a 29" inseam, and the bike (seat in low position)has me on my toes lol..With all this said, I am happier now with the R1250RT, than ANY OTHER previous motorcycles I've owned, or the new Goldwings I test rode. It truly is pure joy to ride!!
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

NSBJohn wrote: I just went from the Ultra Limited(2015) to the R1250RT. I have a stock windshield, and about 1k miles on the clock. I notice the wind buffet is greater on the RT, when the shield is mid to upper position where I like it. This week my wife was complaining that she feels a great deal of wind...
We have already told you how to resolve the air management issues. Werks Quiet Ride. Contact them and discuss your height and issues with the pillion and Terry will advise on the height of the screen for you. You will find you won't have to have the screen so high, so that means the air will be flowing more smoothly around the bike and not stalling out over you and your pillion rider.

https://www.werksparts.com/quiet-ride-w ... --bmw.html
Last edited by bandytales on Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NSBJohn

Post by NSBJohn »

bandytales wrote: We have already told you how to resolve the air management issues. Werks Quiet Ride. Contact them and discuss your height and issues with the pillion and Terry will advise on the height of the screen for you. You will find you won't have to have the screen so high, so that means the air will be flowing more smoothly around the bike and not stalling out over you and your pillion rider.

https://www.werksparts.com/quiet-ride-windshield---bmw.html

Thanks for the info. Just to be clear, I'm not complaining just giving my observation( with less than 1k miles on my new bike) to a perspective RT buyer who is coming from a similar bike that I had, who was asking about  specifics. I felt I could contribute to his decision process.
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

The stock screen i found was very poor , i,m 5"11" and was getting my head blown off so i sourced out info and fitted a Z-Technik tour windscreen , what a difference , no wind disturbance or noise well worth the money i can tell you .
Wayne50

Post by Wayne50 »

I had a 2012 K1600GTL until about 3 weeks ago when I bought a 2013 1200RT that had been highly added to, including professionally lowering the bike on new suspension by Ted Porter's outfit. The previous owner had installed a California Scientific medium windscreen that really does a nice job. I've ridden about 1,000 miles so far and REALLY like the weight reduction. I'll never say a bad word about the GTL, but this one is even better on the highway, particularly behind trucks and with other wind. Quite a bit better, very noticeably better.
So yes, I'm very glad I made the switch to the RT.
Having great fun on 2 wheels!!!!
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I'm always surprised to read all the posts about changing screens, seats and even suspension units on the R1200RT (and now the R1250RT).
I'm on my 4th R1200RT and I've tried different screens but always finished up going back to the OEM item. 
I've done 34,000 miles in three years on my current bike.  I'm fairly average in height (5'10 1/2") with a 32" inside leg. Weight somewhere in excess of 14 stones.  The standard screen has worked for me on motorways, back roads, in 36 degrees, in torrential rain and in strong cross-winds.
I know everyone is different, but I would suggest that a rider new to the RT should persevere with the standard set up for a few thousand miles before spending money on making it different but not necessarily better.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

gogs01 wrote: I'm always surprised to read all the posts about changing screens, ....
I know everyone is different, but I would suggest that a rider new to the RT should persevere with the standard set up for a few thousand miles before spending money on making it different but not necessarily better.

Hi Gogs, of course you 'can' live with the OEM screen, but that still doesn't make it any better than a very poor screen. Once when you have the Works Quiet Ride (or Aeroflow ) you are in a different realm of rider and pillion comfort.
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

gogs01 wrote: I'm always surprised to read all the posts about changing screens, seats and even suspension units on the R1200RT (and now the R1250RT).
I'm on my 4th R1200RT and I've tried different screens but always finished up going back to the OEM item.
I've done 34,000 miles in three years on my current bike. I'm fairly average in height (5'10 1/2") with a 32" inside leg. Weight somewhere in excess of 14 stones. The standard screen has worked for me on motorways, back roads, in 36 degrees, in torrential rain and in strong cross-winds.
Screens, seats, handlebar position and heat off the engine. Some motorcyclists would probably be better off in a car ;-)