Bird strike

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Bird strike

Post by BoB21 »

Had a bird strike today at over 69mph. Pulled over and could see it at top of forks, mind you the guts had landed on the tank. Got bird out and checked bike and cant believe that i cant find any damage just feathers everywhere. No twitcher but looked like a sparrow.
gogs01

Re: Bird strike

Post by gogs01 »

BoB21 wrote: Had a bird strike today..... looked like a sparrow.

Lucky it wasn't a crow !  :wonder:
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

gogs01 wrote:
Lucky it wasn't a crow !  :wonder:

Better yet it wasn’t a wild turkey
Some pictures awhile in one of the forums of a guy hitting a turkey that was something
Jim
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Good job it wasn't a pheasant. Destroyed my headlight. That was expensive. Glad you are OK.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

A mate of mine nearly collected a red kite in Scotland, I was just behind him and I reckon it missed his head by no more than a couple of inches.
BoB21
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Remember your light thats what i was thinking about whilst trying to find safe spot to stop. Didn't see bird before strike just blur to my left for nano second then feathers.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Murderer!.. It's name was Robin, it had a family of four and a prospective future in the aviation industry. That's what a little birdy told me anyway.  ;) 
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Ooh lucky one. 

When I had my 1300GT I collected it from Bahnstormer after servicing, all clean and shiny.  Had been having a long discussion with my IAM observer at the time about being closer to hedges on right handers; something I'd been wary of coming from Devon because things live in hedges.  Anyway, test coming up and riding the IAM way near Cheriton on the A272 on a right hander there was a whumphhhh and big cloud of feathers.  Looked in the mirrors, no bird to be seen, so assumed whatever it was had gone back in the hedge.  Kept seeing feathers come up through the headstock though so stopped just up the road.  There was a pheasant jammed in the front suspension, and mangled past eating.  Pulled it out and in a fit of Fawlty-esque rage booted it over the hedge.  All that achieved was the need to clean my books when I got home.  Cost me a new oil cooler rad but fortunately avoided the headlight.  My lucky day, sort of.
BoB21
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

SIimbo sorry but you are misinformed by a malicious little bird,that was not a robin's traditional red breast but blood and as far as promising carrer in the aviation industry i must confirm that indeed it flew swiftly((sic) and elegantly however it had the eyes of a bat and brain of a kamikaze pilot.