R1250rt crash bars

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Bellas

R1250rt crash bars

Post by Bellas »

Hi,
Picking up my new R1250rt later today and have been thinking about fitting some crash bars.

What are the best manufacturers,
I've been looking at Wunderlich.

Thanks John
PeteM

Re: R1250rt crash bars

Post by PeteM »

There have been three or four discussions on here recently about various makes of crash bars and head protectors, probably worth doing a search (see top right) as a starting point, personally I've got BMW head protectors which I am happy with. Not tested but had similar on my old bike and they worked when I needed them
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I fitted Illium works bars, they were easy to fit and look good. The rears are removable so if you take your bags off, you can take the bars off. There is a UK supplier, spotrtstouring in Glamorgan. They are ££££ though. There is a video on the Illium site showing the owner dropping his bike with bars fitted although that was a 1200.

Only had head protectors on my 1200, but never had to use them. Bottled out with my new bike and fitted bars, just in case.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

i have the Wunderlich ones - fitted by the dealer.
John Bentall
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

I bought and fitted the BMW head protectors a couple of weeks ago before my annual trip to the Sud Ouest. Just south of Blois I very foolishly decided to pull onto the grass verge so I could nip into the trees for a pee. As soon as I was on the verge I realised that this had been a very poor decision and the bike was going down.....Two things then happened very quickly - the first was my extensive swearing, the second was an almost immediate SMS from Biketrac telling me that the bike was down...
First things first - into the trees for the pee. Then checking over the bike (which was on its right side) there didn't appear to be any obvious damage so I removed the left hand pannier and the heavy bag from the top box before trying the "bum against the seat and shuffle backwards" technique. Although I am a pathetic weakling to my utter amazement and relief up she came!
Checking once upright confirmed that the bike had contacted the ground via the right hand pannier, the head protector on the RH cylinder and the handlebar end/mirror (which had folded back - I didn't know they did that). Not a scratch to be seen on any of these items - very lucky it was grass and not stones.....
Rest of the trip completed without incident - apart from the 33C temps, rain south of Calais and closing of the Severn Bridge on the way back....
Lesson learned I trust :kacsint2:
Last edited by Hors Piste on Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2019
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time
Gibraltar

Post by Douglas »

I fitted Wunderlich crash bars to my 1250RT. They look ok although, I hope never to have to test them. The instructions that came with the bars were a bit vague but I found a good you tube video by Illium works which shows what to and how to remove.