Michelin Road 5GTs

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Michelin Road 5GTs

Post by Casbar »

Road 5 GTs have been released, not sure how long it will be for stock to build up though. Wonder it there will be discounts on the 4GT now :)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Michelin Road 5GTs

Post by David. »

Michelin continue to offer Pilot Road 2, 3 & 4's.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

David. wrote: Michelin continue to offer Pilot Road 2, 3 & 4's.

Guess that is a no then  ;)
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

David. wrote: Michelin continue to offer Pilot Road 2, 3 & 4's.

I liked PR3s.  I couldn't find anyone in the area who could get them in sizes suitable for the R1200RT.  If anyone knows of a source for PR3s in 120/70ZR17 and 180/55ZR17, please let me know.
I had to settle for PR4GTs, as recommended by BMW.  :)
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looks like Michelin have dropped the PR3 rear 180/55 ZR17. The front 120/70 ZR17 is still available.

Found this rear one on ebay, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180-55-17-73 ... .l4275.c10
Last edited by David. on Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulgelineau

Post by paulgelineau »

Installed a set of Road 5's on my 2015 RT.  4-k miles on them so far.  The feel is more solid/secure in wet conditions than with the Road 4 GT's previously run.  I assume that's due to the more effective water displacement tread design.  I'm not a real aggressive rider, although I do like to "bend around the curves" so I'll see how the wear factor goes.  I got about 8-K miles out of both sets of Road 4 GT's I had previously.
Cheers from the Okanogan Highlands of WA. State, USA
Rider1260

Post by Rider1260 »

I just installed Road 5 GT on my 2008 RT , why is it so cold and rainy in may ;( can't wait to try them out , it is a cool looking tread pattern
jordanv

Post by jordanv »

I just replaced my Michelin Road 5 GT's after 3,900 miles with [size=2px]Pirelli Angel GT's[/size] . Front tire down to the wear bars at the center and side. Back tire down to the wear bars at the center, but some rubber left on the sides.

Positives - Tires handled well to end of life - best handling tires at end of life when considering a mild flat spot on back tire. Good adhesion all all road surfaces during cold and wet conditions. Never slipped and were quick to warm up. Quick turn in and stable at high speeds.

Negatives - short life. The original Metzeler Z8's lasted 4,100 miles, but were not down to the wear bars on the front or back. Worse trait - the GT's were also very twitchy with tar stakes, road stripes, small rocks, road cracks (total opposite of the OE Z8's which were much more stable). More pucker moments than [size=2px]any tire I have ridden [/size][size=2px](especially when leaned over). As a result I never felt confident with these tires like I had with the Metzeler[/size][size=2px] Z8's or Pirelli Angel GT's.  [/size][size=2px]For this reason I will never own another set. [/size][size=78%]      [/size]
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

A  few contradictions in the positives and negatives???  Personally quite like the PR4's front and back, but I am at an age when I don't ride that aggressively anymore.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

jordanv wrote: I just replaced my Michelin Road 5 GT's after 3,900 miles with Pirelli Angel GT's[/size] . Front tire down to the wear bars at the center and side. Back tire down to the wear bars at the center, but some rubber left on the sides.

Positives - Tires handled well to end of life - best handling tires at end of life when considering a mild flat spot on back tire. Good adhesion all all road surfaces during cold and wet conditions. Never slipped and were quick to warm up. Quick turn in and stable at high speeds.

Negatives - short life. The original Metzeler Z8's lasted 4,100 miles, but were not down to the wear bars on the front or back. Worse trait - the GT's were also very twitchy with tar stakes, road stripes, small rocks, road cracks (total opposite of the OE Z8's which were much more stable). More pucker moments than any tire I have ridden [/size](especially when leaned over). As a result I never felt confident with these tires like I had with the Metzeler[/size] Z8's or Pirelli Angel GT's.  [/size]For this reason I will never own another set. [/font][size=78%]      [/size]

If you were happy with the Z8s, did you not consider the Metzer 01s? I always had PR4GTs on my 1200s and was happy. I have Z8s on my 1250 and have found them very good, so may stay with Metzlers.
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

I was one of the first in the country to get a set of 5GT's. Before that I had the 4's from new.
The difference between the 4's and 5's Is huge. The 5's are so much better
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Z8's & PR4GT's are still recommended by BMW Motorrad,
https://www.bmw-motorrad.com/content/da ... 913863.pdf
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

I am sure one could spend many happy hours reading through the rules and regulations of the German ABE (Allgemeines Betriebserlaubnis) regarding certification of everything from tyres to handlebar risers to pannier case supports or even exhaust cans. The purpose of the ABE is to ensure that vehicles are safe on the road.

If one was barmy enough to mount Michelin Karoo 3 knobblies in a H-D Electraglide and one was stopped by a German copper, one might well be expected to provide an ABE certificate for mounting those tyres on that vehicle.

No one is going to be fussed if a tyre of a suitable specification is mounted.

The 1200RT is right on the borderline between requiring ordinary and GT tyres (according to a chat with a Michelin tech support guy on last occasion that I needed tyres). If one carries a pillion (which BMW assume one would, having purchased that type of machine),then GT tyres are highly recommended. If one only ever rode solo, one could get away with the ordinary PR5.
For example, a Honda CB1300 weighs the same as a R1200RT LC with panniers and no topbox and Michelin recommend the ordinary PR5 on their website.

In the end it is down to common sense, which I will assume that everyone on this forum possesses.
Last edited by beemerboy9 on Mon May 18, 2020 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

I have had two pairs of 4GT’s on my 1200 but ridden the 5GT’s on the Blood Bikes in my opinion the 5’s are a far better tyre and will definitely try them on mine shortly.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

DaveCly wrote: I have had two pairs of 4GT’s on my 1200 but ridden the 5GT’s on the Blood Bikes in my opinion the 5’s are a far better tyre and will definitely try them on mine shortly.

There is a chap who has posted on UKGSER about his 5GTs on his RT. Positives good grip in the dry and wet. Negatives, squirmy on tar lines and white lines and he is down to the wear bars after 3500 miles.