Screens Again!

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
PeteM

Screens Again!

Post by PeteM »

I'm looking to change the screen on my 1250, I've got the Sports Style package which comes with the shorter and narrower sports screen which I find quite noisy. I'm a short a*** only 5' 6" and was perfectly happy with the standard screen on my 2012 twin cam.

The obvious choice is one of the Werks Quiet Comfort screens but I cannot find a European supply and I'm nervous of buying from the US owing to problems with shipping and getting caught for import duty in the past so I'm looking at alternatives. I've looked at the Ztechnik Vstream Quantum which might fit the bill but I cannot find any reviews. What ever I go for I would prefer to avoid the barn door screens if possible.

Any advice?
LAF

Re: Screens Again!

Post by LAF »

Aeroflow shields are second to none.  Great shields. 

I will repeat my take on windshields.  One shield can not do 4 seasons!  You need 2 windshields.  How can you expect to get air in the summer, and no air in the winter from the same shield?
I run a summer shield my Aeroflow, and then put the stock back on for winter. 

You can not stretch a small shield in the winter to a large wind protecting shield. 

I would buy the Quiet Works for winter and then cut down the stock shield or buy another for summer. 
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

As I mentioned I don't have a "stock" screen and getting a werks screen in the UK is not straightforward
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

PeteM wrote: As I mentioned I don't have a "stock" screen and getting a werks screen in the UK is not straightforward

Getting a Werks screen in the UK is very straightforward, many have bought from Terry at Weeks in the US including me, with no issues at all. Yes you will pay shipping, import duty and VAT, but that is the way it is. But don't be worried about it not turning up, I bought mine 5 years ago and it arrived within days with no issues.

In Europe you don't need two screens, the Works is fine for Winter and Summer. In the Summer just lower it, like you would a standard screen. Think what LAF was saying, was use your new screen in the winter, and if its hot in the summer, put your sports one back on. But like I have indicated, I have managed with the Weeks screen ok.
jjwill
Bike Model and Year: RT 2018 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Wales

Post by jjwill »

I echo what Casbar has written.  I orderered a Werks in March and it took about 1.5 months to arrive.  Really pleased with it.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Casbar wrote: Think what LAF was saying, was use your new screen in the winter, and if its hot in the summer, put your sports one back on. But like I have indicated, I have managed with the Weeks screen ok.

Yeah I got what he was saying, I just thought it somewhat perverse to recommend the two things I had specifically said I was trying to avoid.

Thanks for your and jjwills comments though, I am still considering the Werks but by the time you have added the 22.5% taxes and handling fees on the screen ends up being pretty expensive for something there is a chance I may not get on with as there is no way I can test ride.

I've had big problems importing stuff in the past with it taking weeks to clear customs and get through to a local office where I can pay the tax so if I could find a suitable locally available screen I would rather go for that, hence my interest in the ztechnik.
Rick B

Post by Rick B »

I put the Wunderlich tour screen on mine for riding in the winter/wet months,great screen but way too large for the summer months.then i change back to the OEM which IMO can also be a bit stuffy in summer as im only 5',6" and dont get much cool air
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Pete, I had a simikar problem with the "sports" screen on my 2018 1200. My pillion also found it uncomfortable due to the extra turbulence. A replacement "standard" screen from BMW Motorrad was £300. I found an almost new one on ebay for about £60. Bargain and it solved our problems.

PeteM

Post by PeteM »

BeeJay wrote: Pete, I had a simikar problem with the "sports" screen on my 2018 1200. My pillion also found it uncomfortable due to the extra turbulence. A replacement "standard" screen from BMW Motorrad was £300. I found an almost new one on ebay for about £60. Bargain and it solved our problems.

Thanks. I have looked but the only ones I've found have been around the £150 mark which is the same as the ZTechnik, if I see one for around that price I would go for it because as I said I was happy with the standard screen on my old bike but I will keep looking
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

You're welcome to try my werks screen, I'm in Northants, if that would be of any help to you.Nick
LAF

Post by LAF »

PeteM wrote:
Yeah I got what he was saying, I just thought it somewhat perverse to recommend the two things I had specifically said I was trying to avoid.

Thanks for your and jjwills comments though, I am still considering the Werks but by the time you have added the 22.5% taxes and handling fees on the screen ends up being pretty expensive for something there is a chance I may not get on with as there is no way I can test ride.

I've had big problems importing stuff in the past with it taking weeks to clear customs and get through to a local office where I can pay the tax so if I could find a suitable locally available screen I would rather go for that, hence my interest in the ztechnik.
Well perverse or not if you want a Quiet Ride you need to wait on it.  It appears your understanding on that was not correct and there is a supplier that will get you one with little to no hassle other then time.

We have to wait here in the USA when we order out of country so I understand your thought on that.  It is what it is though.
Here in the USA a lot of BMW dealers handle aftermarket parts from various vendors.  Maybe a dealer can bring a shield in with less hassle then you because they are a business that imports everything?
Anyway good luck and hope you get the shield you like.
I would take up the offer of trying the shield out from the gentleman who offered.  It will help you in sizing, and if the shield is even right for you.
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

I have a Puig Screen for sale off of my R1200RT Sport, slightly wider and taller than the standard screen.  It is in good condition and £75 ono.

I am in Hampshire though so it is a bit of a trek for you.

MJ
Attachments
PUIG.JPG
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Old-Git: I might well take you up on that, life is s bit crazy at present so not going to be able to get over to Northants in the next few weeks but will let you know.

LAF: I don't necessarily want a Quiet Ride I just want something better than the sports screen. Also it is not a question of the time, it is the potential hassle factor, last time I ordered something big from the States (a diving torch as it happens) I had to spend weeks chasing round getting it through customs, getting it to a sensible office, paying the excise duty etc. At the moment I just don't have the emotional energy to deal with that; my wife has both life restricting health problems and a life limiting illness so I just don't need the grief that I got last time.

Mark_J: Would it be possible to post? Any idea how much that would be?
Last edited by PeteM on Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Right, I've bought Marks Puig screen. I'll see how that goes over the winter. If it does not work out you will probably see it on the for sale board here again  :)
LAF

Post by LAF »

Had no idea it was that much of a thing to do.  I also would not be up to chasing something to receive it.  Here it is just wait time.  I dont have to chase anything.  I order from the Visor Shop and and my tires come from them in 3 days! 

Not sure why you guys have it so bad on getting things through customs and such?  I have seen many others on this forum say the same thing. 

As I said then the AeroFlow shield is a great shield.

http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/
Also MRA screens are very nice. The design works really well. 

https://mra.de/en
I had the MRA on my 15 RT and loved it.

I am using the AeroFlow on my current GS.