Rear Spring Preload

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
geeman

Rear Spring Preload

Post by geeman »

I recently purchased a 2012 RT and noticed that the rear spring adjuster knob, that is normally under the seat, is not there.  Does this mean that the previous owner installed an aftermarket spring?  Not sure what to make of it, and we are on the eve of a 2k mile, 2-up trip.  Advice welcome!
Attachments
IMG_1119.jpeg
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Rear Spring Preload

Post by milleplod »

Good morning, and welcome to the Forum.

The previous owner might have fitted a new rear unit, one that uses an old-fashioned C-spanner for preload adjustment - is there a knurled adjuster ring on the body of the shock absorber? Or....dare I ask it....has your bike got a button on the left-hand switchgear marked 'ESA'?! If so, that rather cleverly adjusts things for you!  :)

Pete 
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

milleplod wrote:Or....dare I ask it....has your bike got a button on the left-hand switchgear marked 'ESA'?! If so, that rather cleverly adjusts things for you!  :) Pete

+1
geeman

Post by geeman »

Hi, on the left hand handle controls is a ASC/ESA toggle.  Is that what you are referring to? Nothing on the actual gear shifter, though it's an aftermarket peg.  Thanks guys.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

geeman wrote: Hi, on the left hand handle controls is a ASC/ESA toggle.  Is that what you are referring to? Nothing on the actual gear shifter, though it's an aftermarket peg.  Thanks guys.

Now you need to read the section in the manual about the function of ESA. It should help to solve the mystery of the missing suspension pre-load adjuster.

Were you expecting the hydraulic suspension adjustment to be related to the gear-shifter in any way?
John Bentall
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

geeman wrote: Hi, on the left hand handle controls is a ASC/ESA toggle.  Is that what you are referring to? Nothing on the actual gear shifter, though it's an aftermarket peg.  Thanks guys.

https://manuals.bmw-motorrad.com/manuals/BA-Extern/IN/BA-INTERNET-COM/PDF/R_0440_RM_0811_R1200RT_07.pdf

Page 55 and 56
geeman

Post by geeman »

I misread "switchgear" to mean "shift", which was certainly confusing to me :), so no, I didn't expect any connection between shift and suspension. A little background, I previously owned a '14 k1600, so I'm very familiar with ESA and fully electronic suspension adjustments.  But when I saw in the RT manual that there was a manual rear spring load adjuster, which wasn't on my bike, I was a bit concerned, because it appeared that the rear was supposed to be manually adjusted.  So it looks like my RT functions similarly to the K in terms of being fully electronic with no manual adjustment (despite the manual).  Thanks all for the input.