Bluetooth connecting helmet/phone/bike

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
kwarrrt1200

Bluetooth connecting helmet/phone/bike

Post by kwarrrt1200 »

I haven't had much of a chance to use the RT since getting it, however, I'm off to the Ardennes this Friday for a week, and really looking forward to get to know the bike better.

So, possibly a numpty question....(and I'm really sorry, if this has been covered numerous times....)

I currently listen to music via my Nav6 - iPhone - Freecom 1, obviously all Bluetooth.

So, can I plug my phone into the USB glove box socket, pair the helmet with the bike, and then control music via the whizzy wheel?
buzz

Re: Bluetooth connecting helmet/phone/bike

Post by buzz »

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Do a search on this forum, loads of advice. But in a nutshell - no you can't. If you want to use the usb socket in the glove box to the audio, you need to have your music on a memory stick or iPod. Or put some music onto your Garmin memory card. Well you couldn't on my 2014 with audio. Don't have audio on my 1250, but I don't believe they have changed the setup.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

kwarrrt1200 wrote: I haven't had much of a chance to use the RT since getting it, however, I'm off to the Ardennes this Friday for a week, and really looking forward to get to know the bike better.

So, possibly a numpty question....(and I'm really sorry, if this has been covered numerous times....)

I currently listen to music via my Nav6 - iPhone - Freecom 1, obviously all Bluetooth.

So, can I plug my phone into the USB glove box socket, pair the helmet with the bike, and then control music via the whizzy wheel?

I would say - yes, you can

but............

I could not find a way to fit the full BMW approved adaptor cable plus my iPhone into the tiny space that is the fairing pocket of the RT.

Therefore, like Casbar and many others, I put my music onto a USB stick. The tracks on the USB are searchable via the whizzy wheel.
John Bentall
Rambler358
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Rambler358 »

kwarrrt1200 wrote:So, can I plug my phone into the USB glove box socket, pair the helmet with the bike, and then control music via the whizzy wheel?
Yes - if you have an iPhone, and you'll need to buy the BMW iPod adapter.
Rambler358

Post by Rambler358 »

beemerboy9 wrote:I could not find a way to fit the full BMW approved adaptor cable plus my iPhone into the tiny space that is the fairing pocket of the RT.
This will solve your problem:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0131 ... UTF8&psc=1

beemerboy9
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Well done, I had not thought of that.  It certainly solves the problem of the connection, but not that of keeping the phone charged as the BT eats through the battery.
John Bentall
Woodbe

Post by Woodbe »

Just purchased a new RT and have been pondering the same issue.  I just purchased this cable/ adapter from amazon which solves some of the issues, and mounted phone on handle bars .  Charges the phone, plays music and or navigation through bike speakers or headset.  Will only adjust volume with wheel. so far  so good .    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J45LFMH/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Rambler358

Post by Rambler358 »

beemerboy9 wrote:
Well done, I had not thought of that.  It certainly solves the problem of the connection, but not that of keeping the phone charged as the BT eats through the battery.
I’ve ridden 8 hour days and my iPhone never got below a 50% charge using that device.
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

beemerboy9 wrote:

Therefore, like Casbar and many others, I put my music onto a USB stick. The tracks on the USB are searchable via the whizzy wheel.
How do you search the USB using the wonder wheel? Ta
beemerboy9
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Old-Git wrote: How do you search the USB using the wonder wheel? Ta
Use the Mode button to Search by Artist, Album etc.
John Bentall
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

beemerboy9 wrote: Use the Mode button to Search by Artist, Album etc.
Thanks