Proposed tour to Sweden - advice & tips please.

Have you got a decent route to share with us? please post it here along the the gpx file for others to download and enjoy. We would love to hear about your best biking roads and routes.
MattyP
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Proposed tour to Sweden - advice & tips please.

Post by MattyP »

Hi guys.

I'm thinking of touring Sweden next August as the weather is supposed to be decent.  At this early stage I thought I'd see if anybody has any good tips on routes; accommodation, riding in Sweden and the best way of doing this from UK, or any other general information worth sharing.  I'd like to spend about 8 / 10 days over there. 

Many thanks.

Matty P  (2017 RT1200 LE)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Proposed tour to Sweden - advice & tips please.

Post by David. »

In 2015, we went to Norway with White Rose Motorcycle Tours. The outward journey took us through Sweden. From the UK, we took the overnight Hull to Rotterdam ferry.

Day 1, rode to Hamburg for an overnight stay at Leonardo Hotel Hamburg-Stillhorn.

Day 2, rode to Malmo in Sweden, staying at Scandic Hotel Malmo City.
We took the Puttgarden to Rodby ferry, Germany to Denmark. To get from Denmark to Sweden, used the Oresund Bridge/Tunnel between Copenhagen and Malmo.

Day 3, rode to Trollhatten, stayed at the Scandic Swania Hotel in Trollhatten.

The routes were mainly motorways to cover the distances involved.

After that, we spent most of our time in Norway.

Returning from Norway to Denmark on the Kristiansand to Hirtshals ferry. Riding the full length of Denmark to Germany and back to Rotterdam for the ferry back to the UK.
Last edited by David. on Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave H

Post by Dave H »

I rode from Kristiansands to Nordkap and back through Finland and Sweden on a R1150GS. The trip was about 4K in total but had to have a new rear tyre after 2K due to the abrasive road surface (it had exposed cords).  The tyre was a Tourance that had about 1500 miles on it when I left  so I reckoned it was good for at least 6K more ...wrong, so beware.
Stayed, mostly, in self catering log cabins and foreswore alcohol when I saw the prices.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

They say that BMW stands for "Bring My Wallet".  The same is probably true of Sweden.  In 1971, I joined up with four Frenchmen on two bikes, a Moroccan hitchhiker on my Triumph and an American on his own Bonnie.  We ferried to Goteborg, and we stayed exactly one day before escaping to Denmark by unanimous vote.  We couldn't believe the price of a loaf of bread (60 cents USD!!!) and gas prices through the roof.  I believe this is still the case, so gas up beforehand.  Also:  a notable lack of blondes!!
MattyP
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by MattyP »

Many thanks David, Dave H and Jackronner - all useful intel.  I have heard it is eye-wateringly expensive and with the state of the exchange rate at present that will just make matters worse.  That s why I'm looking to do it on the cheap if possible!  I was interested to read Dave H's comment about the impact of the road surfaces on tyres and wondered if that was a generally held view?  Thanks again guys.  Matt
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

MattyP wrote:I was interested to read Dave H's comment about the impact of the road surfaces on tyres and wondered if that was a generally held view?
Fitted a new pair of Dunlop Roadsmart tyres prior to our Norway trip and after 3,000 miles, the front had 2mm & the rear had 2.5mm of legal tread remaining to the TWI's.

The tyres went on to do 5,400 miles before they were changed, with a serviceable tread depth of 1.6mm on the front & 1.0mm on the rear to the TWI's remaining.