Riding and seat height on my 2008 RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Rider1260

Riding and seat height on my 2008 RT

Post by Rider1260 »

I am very new to my bike and am really happy overall , handling, speed, comfort wish I would have been able to do this years ago.
I am now fine tuning the bike for me a brake pedal extender, new GPS and now I am on to ride height or more importantly non moving height.
I have a Rick Meyer saddle that came with the bike, it is very comfortable tho showing its age and it is VERY tall on the low setting ( as it is in the pics ) I'm in tip toe mode if I want both feet down, I can one foot it and have been but I thought I might like a bit more security, found a killer deal on a stock seat unfortunately it seems to be a low seat., and it does make getting both feet down easy even on the highest setting but I feel like I'm riding a chopper, and always looking thru the windshield.
So wondering if just getting the Rick Meyer seat reshaped, I bit less foam on the side near the front and maybe a bit less padding near the tank to make it a bit more narrow so I don't lose the riding position I like but making reaching Terra firma a bit easier. Do you all think I can have my cake and eat it to, or should I just get used to one foot or tip toes.
Attachments
11D80EA5-5EBC-468E-AC8C-3F93813210CB.jpg
9C3045F9-CD35-4F19-B812-0A488EBB6C6C.jpg
Rick B

Re: Riding and seat height on my 2008 RT

Post by Rick B »

Not sure if your in the UK,but if you are this guy can help you out.he does great work and i can vouch,he did my Diavel NT 700 and ZX10r.Worth a try.

https://tonyarcher.co.uk/services/bike-seats/
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

I would question why you need to get both feet down. If you can get one foot down securely even on the toes you should be able to hold the bike no problems (That's all I've ever been able to do on 90% of the bikes I've owned and ridden). If you change the seat for a lower one you will end up with a bigger bend in the hips and knees which will inevitably make the bike less comfortable on long rides.
Rick B

Post by Rick B »

I can see his point TBF,Im only a short arse but with the low seat on my RT I manage to get it about quite well( A lot more easier 2 up ).I feel that the more foot area you have on the floor the more confidence it gains,theres nothing worse than pulling up lowering your left leg and trying to get your tootsies down then finding a camber or gravel and you  can always lower the pegs to relieve a bit of the bend from the hips and knees,although i dont think there will be much
Rider1260

Post by Rider1260 »

PeteM wrote: I would question why you need to get both feet down. If you can get one foot down securely even on the toes you should be able to hold the bike no problems (That's all I've ever been able to do on 90% of the bikes I've owned and ridden). If you change the seat for a lower one you will end up with a bigger bend in the hips and knees which will inevitably make the bike less comfortable on long rides.

I am doing OK so far the RT is very different riding position wise from my former sportier bikes and a can't remember to many I could completely flat foot ( maybe my 78 Triumph ) but I do like to get at least solid balls of feet down on both sides at this point I am tiptoe for both feet and solid one foot, but I love the riding position as is or on the higher side. I found a local to me seat builder so I can do a ride in visit and a custom fit hoping just changing the slope at the front of the seat and a bit less foam right near the tank will get me enough. OR there is reforming the low seat taller I suppose also.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Before you spend money I would give it a bit of time. I'm 5' 5" and can only ever get the ball of one foot down but I am happy as is. It is very different if you are not used to it but it is perfectly manageable.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 99 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

That seat looks higher and wider than the stock seat. don't listen to anyone else, do what makes YOU feel comfortable and confident on the bike.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Rider1260

Post by Rider1260 »

simbo wrote: That seat looks higher and wider than the stock seat. don't listen to anyone else, do what makes YOU feel comfortable and confident on the bike.

I'm sure its wider and can go very high, it is on the lower setting as you see it, and its pretty comfortable did a couple hundred miles the other day and its better in the twisties that a seat that shape would seem.
I'm in no rush but I think if I just get the front a bit flatter and narrowed it will still be on the tall side for knee and hip comfort but easier to put feet to pavement if needed.
I just need to practice my low speed stuff on it and all will be good.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

The problem with not being able to flatfoot is when you are trying to paddle backwards in a gravelly car park or similar!
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Stratman wrote: The problem with not being able to flatfoot is when you are trying to paddle backwards in a gravelly car park or similar!

If in doubt, get off and push it backwards.
Rider1260

Post by Rider1260 »

So with some trading with a great forum member I now have a stock standard height seat and I did get a chance to get a quick ride in the height is about the same but its narrower.
that really helps, and it seems pretty comfortable, On the bummer side I found out the Spencers ( a great day to ride ) will not refoam BMW seats anymore.
I did find a couple of local shops that will do ride in service in case I want of need a change from here.