Battery cables cut

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Battery cables cut

Post by jackronner »

Finally found my stolen, uninsured, RT. I almost paid the tell-tale parking ticket automatically, but didn't recall getting it and knew I'd never parked in that part of town.  So I confirmed that the listed license plate was my stolen bike's and found it abandoned on the street (for two months!) 

The twit (who'd stolen my key), or some opportunist after it was abandoned, stole my soft bags and contents and my trunk - but left a $300 after-market windshield and my seats. Yet, for some reason, decided to steal my battery and couldn't deal with unscrewing the post bolts but rather cut all the cables and wires.  It appears that the cables don't conveniently join the harness through a connector, and that I'll have to scavenge the cut battery ends and try to join then up to the harness ends.  Is this the case?  It's almost not worth my time since, because of an accident prior to the theft, the other party's insurance may declare it a total.  Didn't the arsehole know how to use a wrench? 
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Battery cables cut

Post by David. »

jackronner wrote:It appears that the cables don't conveniently join the harness through a connector, and that I'll have to scavenge the cut battery ends and try to join then up to the harness ends. Is this the case?
This wiring harness diagram would confirm that yes, the battery cables are an integral part of the harness itself.

The lead with eyelet terminal & red identification is the battery positive.

Last edited by David. on Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.