Playing music on Nav VI on a R1200/1250RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
DavidMcK

Playing music on Nav VI on a R1200/1250RT

Post by DavidMcK »

Hi Guys, I have a K16GT and have been looking to move back to the RT, I have had 3*K16's and have had 3*RT's the last being a 2010 model.  All have had a radio.

I have found a nice R1250RT, however, it does not have a radio.  I like music when on European trips.

I have a BMW Nav VI and was thinking of storing music (MP3) files on it and playing it through my Sena SRL.

Any problems with this, I seem to remember problems playing music from a BMW Navigator.

Thanks for your help.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Re: Playing music on Nav VI on a R1200/1250RT

Post by michaelc2710 »

Hi DavidMck
I have no problem saving to and playing music from the Nav VI, you can use the wheel to shuffle tracks, albums etc
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

No issues, do it all the time and stream to my Packtalk
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

DavidMcK wrote:
Any problems with this, I seem to remember problems playing music from a BMW Navigator.

Thanks for your help.

The issues with playing music from the Navigator apply only to bikes with a radio fitted. In that case, BMW expects the music to be on USB stick plugged into the audio kit.
John Bentall
bighopper

Post by bighopper »

You play music from a NAV V or NAV IV on a bike with no radio. As long ass you have Blue Tooth headset. Link your Helmet to the NAV & away you go.
DavidMcK

Post by DavidMcK »

Thanks guys, I remember now, the last 6 bikes I have had all had a radio, at the minute I use the USB socket to play music and have not used the Nav VI.

The bike i am looking at seems to have everything I need, except the radio.  I would have got a new R1250RT but am waiting for BMW to add a TFT screen, same as the GS etc.

Appreciate replies.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

DavidMcK wrote: I have found a nice R1250RT, however, it does not have a radio.  I like music when on European trips.

I have a BMW Nav VI and was thinking of storing music (MP3) files on it and playing it through my Sena SRL.

This is identical to my setup and it works very well.
DavidMcK

Post by DavidMcK »

michaelc2710 wrote: Hi DavidMck
I have no problem saving to and playing music from the Nav VI, you can use the wheel to shuffle tracks, albums etc

Hi Michael, you have pinged my interest, can you adjust volume using the wonderwheel, I lost that when I moved to the Sena SRL and now have a Sena RC3 on my handlebar to adjust volume.

Thanks

David
michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

Hi David

From memory yes you can,
We use a Freecom 4 Duo headsets as the Mrs likes to listen to it at the same time.
Bobf

Post by Bobf »

I have a Cardo Pack-Talk Bold communicator. My Bike: 2107 RT-LC with radio.

The wonder wheel does not change the volume on my bike, and gives me a notice to use the volume control on my headset. Not a problem because the headset is also voice activated and that can also change the volume. I use the voice activation about 75% of the time.

BTW, the radio was already installed at the dealer. The next bike I buy, will not take the radio option, as the radio on the communicator is so much easier to use.

Of note, the micro card, that you add to your Nav VI, to store your music, has to be reconfigured to work with the unit. Follow this link to learn how to do it. Very easy.
https://youtu.be/WUmKEyWMbJo

Better to burn out than fade away. - Niel Young
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

DavidMcK wrote: Thanks guys, I remember now, the last 6 bikes I have had all had a radio, at the minute I use the USB socket to play music and have not used the Nav VI.

The bike i am looking at seems to have everything I need, except the radio.  I would have got a new R1250RT but am waiting for BMW to add a TFT screen, same as the GS etc.

Appreciate replies.

Think you'll have a wait for the TFT option on the RT. Guess that will come with an all new model, I should be ready to upgrade my 1250 by then :) But of course will have to wait so not a beta tester, although beta testing on the 1250 hasn't been too bad yet.
Arek
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

I have Cardo Packtalk and RT1250RTLE without radio. Paired my headset with navigation and all is played through it. Also calls are directed via nav unit.
I found it much easier than pairing separately phone to navigation and to headset. The good side of that, I can use my Spotify and I can use for it controls on Nav VI.
General much easier than my previous TomTom
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Arek wrote: I have Cardo Packtalk and RT1250RTLE without radio. Paired my headset with navigation and all is played through it. Also calls are directed via nav unit.
I found it much easier than pairing separately phone to navigation and to headset. The good side of that, I can use my Spotify and I can use for it controls on Nav VI.
General much easier than my previous TomTom

I paired my phone to both the Nav and the Packtalk. So the phone will work ok when on other bikes without my Nav and when on my own bike with the Nav VI the phone uses the Nav, the Nav takes priority, so the phone doesn't connect direct to the headset when the Nav is in play. Works really well.
Arek
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

Casbar wrote: I paired my phone to both the Nav and the Packtalk. So the phone will work ok when on other bikes without my Nav and when on my own bike with the Nav VI the phone uses the Nav, the Nav takes priority, so the phone doesn't connect direct to the headset when the Nav is in play. Works really well.
Yes. I have that setup as well. When I do not have Nav VI it is working directly to Cardo.
the only issue I had was when I used TomTom. As there were double pairing for all 3 devices. When that works OK between cardo and Phone. TomTom had some issues with communication. Sometimes Phone disconnected randomly, sometimes I lost Nav directions. Sometimes TomTom locked totally communication between riders (like the priority line for directions was constantly in use).
That's not happen when I'm using Garmin (BMW Nav VI)