Which R12RT model/year should I buy?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
JohnN

Which R12RT model/year should I buy?

Post by JohnN »

Hi Folks,

Forgive and guide me if this topic is a well trodden path!

I've had a succession of ex police K1100LTs over the last 20 years which have been fine all year round workhorses with some lengthy tours thrown in. Their one universal achilles heel has been electrics and in part I guess that's an age/living outside and all year round use issue.

As the youngest examples are now 20 years old I've decided it's time to move on and having done a few test rides on R12RTs over the last 12 years I know the ride suits me. I'm not keen to spend on a new bike, but my approach is to keep a bike long term till repair is no longer financially worthwhile/reliability becomes an issue. I have to admit my bikes don't lead a pampered life.

One hopes all things biking get better as the years go by...so, what model year should I consider and why? For starters I hear go for post 2010 models.

If I go down the ex police route again I'd want to swop the panniers and fit heated seats. Changing a K to civi spec was always quite straight forward-half a day or so. Does anyone have experience they could share with me please of changing R12s please? I guess Motorworks for civi items.

Thanks in advance for your help and guidance.

Cheers

John
Last edited by JohnN on Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 99 times
Great Britain

Re: Which R12RT model/year should I buy?

Post by simbo »

You won't go far wrong with a 10-13 year model, later 10 onwards they got rid of the problematic fuel strip as well. 👍
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Rider1260

Re: Which R12RT model/year should I buy?

Post by Rider1260 »

Like with anything used get the newest lowest miles bike you can afford.All I can say is I got a great deal (  IMHO ) on my 2008
What I like
Air Cooled ( sorry Oil ) so easy valve adjust and the other service looks easy enough.
Looks I like this model better than the newer ones , the fairing looks to big now.
Really comfy for my 5'10  body
Is far faster and better handling than I ever could have believed

Still on the fence , but I will keep an eye out.
Possible fuel strip failure
Possible Fuel leak, fuel pump issue
Possible Throttle Body Cam issue
Possible Final Drive issues

On the above stuff my last bike was an Suzuki SV1000 and there was some cases of Rod Knock and clutch shudder and the internet was crazy about it, I even bought an extended warranty turns out all the issues that came up on the internet NEVER happened to my bike.
So I am wary but am not going to lose any sleep over it.

Best of luck in your search
Attachments
DSC_0216.jpg