RT1250 LE – Rear Brake Pedal Height Adjustment

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Tony Fyson
Great Britain

RT1250 LE – Rear Brake Pedal Height Adjustment

Post by Tony Fyson »

How can I access the rear brake pedal adjustment nuts, to lower the brake pedal.  The heel plate obscures the nuts.
I removed the exhaust cover to improve access, but still cannot get to the adjuster.  I cannot see how to remove the footrest, or the heel plate.  Help!
Thanks.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: RT1250 LE – Rear Brake Pedal Height Adjustment

Post by David. »

Tony Fyson wrote:I cannot see how to remove the footrest, or the heel plate.
This parts diagram would suggest that the heel plate/footrest is secured with a single bolt (#10) from the inside.

With the exhaust removed, there may be sufficient access.

This video shows how to remove the brake lever, having done that, the adjuster should be accessible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOFVxdu ... e=emb_logo
Last edited by David. on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Fyson
Great Britain

Post by Tony Fyson »

Hi David
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I cannot get to the bolt (#10) that secures the heel plate.
Surely, I do not have to remove the brake pedal to adjust the height?
Has anyone else adjusted the rear brake pedal height?
(Hmmm - wish I still had my Honda VFR!)
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Tony Fyson wrote: Hi David
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I cannot get to the bolt (#10) that secures the heel plate.
Surely, I do not have to remove the brake pedal to adjust the height?
Has anyone else adjusted the rear brake pedal height?
(Hmmm - wish I still had my Honda VFR!)

Well, most people never have a problem with the brake lever height.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Tony Fyson wrote: How can I access the rear brake pedal adjustment nuts, to lower the brake pedal.  The heel plate obscures the nuts.
I removed the exhaust cover to improve access, but still cannot get to the adjuster.  I cannot see how to remove the footrest, or the heel plate.  Help!
Thanks.

I can't understand the problem.
Am I getting this wrong.
Remove Silencer.
Remove split pin from retaining pin,
Move the brake pedal clear.
Put a spanner on the locknut, put a 'tommy' bar trough the fork fitting.
Loosen the lock nut.
Adjust the fork end as required and then reverse the procedure?
Tony Fyson
Great Britain

Post by Tony Fyson »

Hi - thanks for the reply.
I will try undoing the retaining pin, and moving the lever to access the adjuster. I only removed the silencer and rear wheel.
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

bandytales wrote: Well, most people never have a problem with the brake lever height.
There is nothing like a useful contribution to a thread. 

'Most people' may not but adjustments are not usually about most people.  They are about those who may have fitted a foot peg lowering kit and found the controls not quite in the optimum position, or even guys like me with arthritis and slightly limited movement that need a bit of adjustment for optimum comfort and control or the many other guys that, for many different reasons, find that the standard setup can be improved to suit them better.       
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

MEM62 wrote: There is nothing like a useful contribution to a thread. 

'Most people' may not but adjustments are not usually about most people.  They are about those who may have fitted a foot peg lowering kit and found the controls not quite in the optimum position, or even guys like me with arthritis and slightly limited movement that need a bit of adjustment for optimum comfort and control or the many other guys that, for many different reasons, find that the standard setup can be improved to suit them better.     

An awful lot of riders feel the bike is not set up for them and want to fiddle, only to find that they just needed to get a few miles under their belts and realise the settings were correct in the first place. However, I am NOT saying that is the case in this situation, but I do endorse just going with it as it is for a few thousand miles. Let's face it, I am ready for change when I know it isn't right. Case in point, screens and saddles.
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

MEM62 wrote: 'Most people' may not but adjustments are not usually about most people.  They are about those who may have fitted a foot peg lowering kit and found the controls not quite in the optimum position, or even guys like me with arthritis and slightly limited movement that need a bit of adjustment for optimum comfort and control or the many other guys that, for many different reasons, find that the standard setup can be improved to suit them better.     

Slightly adjusting the brake lever is possible. But lowering the brake pedal after fitting a peg lowering kit requires modifying the pushrod into the rear master cylinder. Or a new brake lever/bracket from the aftermarket. The fastener for the heel plate is accessed from behind where it mounts.

Don't bother trying to simply adjust it, there isn't enough adjustment to make up for lowered pegs.

Adjusting it for a slightly better fit is doable.
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.