OEM or different screen for R1250RT?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
DavidMcK

OEM or different screen for R1250RT?

Post by DavidMcK »

Hi Guys,  I am trading in a K16GT for a R1250RT.  The RT has the short/sport windscreen on it and I will be changing it to either an OEM screen from BMW or another screen depending on your advice.

So, what do your recommend ?  BMW are asking £300 for a standard screen.

Thanks

David
Rick B

Re: OEM or different screen for R1250RT?

Post by Rick B »

Ive got  a 16 RT and i use the OEM one through the summer and i bought a Wunderlich touring screen from Motoworks  for winter as its obviously wider and taller and is great for keeping the wind and rain off,just as a bit of advice, keep the original as come when we eventually get some warm weather the tour screens are a nightmare to be behind.
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

I changed the stock screen on my 2018 RT1200 for a Ztechnik tourer its fabulous if you do a lot of touring no wind noise around your helmet or face i am 5 foot 11 and have a 32 inch inside leg , would definately reccomend it .
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

DavidMcK wrote: I will be changing it to either an OEM screen from BMW or another screen depending on your advice.

So, what do your recommend ?

Advice #1 DO NOT get a BMW screen.

Advice #2. Having tried various on the Werthead RT, for me, the Works Quiet Ride screen is absolutely superb. Like any other screen, choose the right size for your body trunk length.
Contact Terry (Realshelby) - he is on this forum, he designed and is responsible for the manufacture of these fantastic screens.

TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

DavidMcK wrote: Hi Guys, I am trading in a K16GT for a R1250RT. The RT has the short/sport windscreen on it and I will be changing it to either an OEM screen from BMW or another screen depending on your advice.
So, what do your recommend ? BMW are asking £300 for a standard screen.
Thanks
David
David,
Whereabouts are you, near Reading or Slough?
If so I have a couple of different sized 2018 R1200RT screens (VStream if I remember correctly) that I think also fit the R1250RT. You are welcome to try them out to see how you get on before committing to purchasing anything.
PM me if interested.
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

DavidMcK wrote: Hi Guys,  I am trading in a K16GT for a R1250RT.  The RT has the short/sport windscreen on it and I will be changing it to either an OEM screen from BMW or another screen depending on your advice.

So, what do your recommend ?  BMW are asking £300 for a standard screen.

Thanks

David

When I bought my 1250 sport, they offered me the sport screen or standard free of charge. I took the standard, but already had a Werks Quiet ride off my 2014 bike which I fitted. Werks is a brilliant screen. Shipping and tax though in the UK is a bit of a killer
slparry
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT LE Dynamic 2015
Wales

Post by slparry »

I've tried various screens on my LC RT …. my absolute fave has been the Puig one I have on now. In the low position it's better than the OEM standard screen in high :)

https://puig.tv/en/tuning-motos/windscr ... bike=12446
Steve Parry BMW Motorrad (now KTM) sales executive current toys '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic. '14 F800GS ,'03 R1100S Boxercup, '85 R80RS Mono, 1990 K1
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

slparry wrote: I've tried various screens on my LC RT …. my absolute fave has been the Puig one I have on now. In the low position it's better than the OEM standard screen in high :)

https://puig.tv/en/tuning-motos/windscreens-for-fairing-bikes/touring-screen?bike=12446

Is it better than the Werks screen?
DavidMcK

Post by DavidMcK »

TJRL wrote: David,
Whereabouts are you, near Reading or Slough?
If so I have a couple of different sized 2018 R1200RT screens (VStream if I remember correctly) that I think also fit the R1250RT. You are welcome to try them out to see how you get on before committing to purchasing anything.
PM me if interested.

Believe it or not I am in Northern Ireland, so won't be passing by.  The bike is in Plymouth and it looks like I will fly in and bring it home.  Thanks for your very kind and generous offer, my local dealer has a brand new screen he is looking shot of, so it may be a goer.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

DavidMcK wrote:
Believe it or not I am in Northern Ireland, so won't be passing by.  The bike is in Plymouth and it looks like I will fly in and bring it home.  Thanks for your very kind and generous offer, my local dealer has a brand new screen he is looking shot of, so it may be a goer.

The standard screen is not bad, certainly better than the sport screen, which is next to useless. But there are better options, depends on what you are looking for
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Check out 7JuRock, they make the works quite ride screens, might be able to help defray some of the costs
Jim
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

T6pilot wrote: Check out 7JuRock, they make the works quite ride screens, might be able to help defray some of the costs

Think Terry (Real Shelby on here) who designed the Werks screen, was saying that there are now differences between his design and the ones 7Jrock now sell.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Casbar you are correct, my Werks standard height screen was the best investment I made for my bike, not sure what the difference is between the two
Jim
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

T6pilot wrote: Casbar you are correct, my Werks standard height screen was the best investment I made for my bike, not sure what the difference is between the two

+1
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

T6pilot wrote: Check out 7JuRock, they make the works quite ride screens, might be able to help defray some of the costs

Found what Terry who owns Werks posted on another thread here recently about the differences.

Something did change. Due to one person that continually posted on forums that you could buy the same windshield from another place for less money. Yes, I allowed Julio to sell the windshield I developed. We are a partner in this and it benefits both of us. But he understands that I spend a lot of money and time advertising. We had an agreement that "his" version was always more expensive. Which is was, except that some could not figure out how to add shipping to an actual cost!So, we decided to fix that. Now you can ONLY get a WERKS Quiet Ride in the shape we know works so well from me, WERKS Parts LLC.