OEM or different screen for R1250RT?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
bandytales

Re: OEM or different screen for R1250RT?

Post by bandytales »

You know what, I've just thought of another reason for getting the Werks screen.
The money is going to one of the forum members. Someone who rides these bikes and has committed a lot of time and effort into getting it right for himself, and now he has passed that onto us.
There are a lot of manufacturers of aftermarket parts and I really appreciate them. However, the screen has been the best thing I have ever added to this bike and I realise that this is another reason I want to support him.
However, I still stand by the fact that this is one of the best screens you can get for this particular bike.
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

Casbar wrote:
Found what Terry who owns Werks posted on another thread here recently about the differences.

Something did change[/font]. Due to one person that continually posted on forums that you could buy the same windshield from another place for less money. Yes, I allowed Julio to sell the windshield I developed. We are a partner in this and it benefits both of us. But he understands that I spend a lot of money and time advertising. We had an agreement that "his" version was always more expensive. Which is was, except that some could not figure out how to add shipping to an actual cost!So, we decided to fix that. Now you can ONLY get a WERKS Quiet Ride in the shape we know works so well from me, WERKS Parts LLC.

That is exactly right!
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
Karlo1200S

Post by Karlo1200S »

slparry wrote: I've tried various screens on my LC RT …. my absolute fave has been the Puig one I have on now. In the low position it's better than the OEM standard screen in high :)

https://puig.tv/en/tuning-motos/windscr ... bike=12446
I also have Puig screen on my LC RT and it’s fantastic! [emoji3]

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Funny thing is after all the comments of members on this blog about changing screens on the LT/LE/LC how come BMW have not addressed this issue after all if you fork out £17, 000 on a new bike you should not have to search around for anything , maybe i,m becoming a skinflint .
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

hammo wrote: Funny thing is after all the comments of members on this blog about changing screens on the LT/LE/LC how come BMW have not addressed this issue after all if you fork out £17, 000 on a new bike you should not have to search around for anything , maybe i,m becoming a skinflint .

You are right. Same holds true for the seat.
R2K

Post by R2K »

bandytales wrote:
You are right. Same holds true for the seat.
Correct, correct, Same holds true for side stand

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

R2K wrote: Correct, correct, Same holds true for side stand

Ah? Interestingly I am perfectly happy with the side stand. What do you find wrong with it?
R2K

Post by R2K »

bandytales wrote:
Ah? Interestingly I am perfectly happy with the side stand. What do you find wrong with it?
First the foot or pad is too small, and most of us have to purchase and enlarger.  Second it is difficult to deploy with boots on.  Third it doesn’t lean the bike over far enough, if you even have a slight incline on the left side of the bike it is nearly impossible to use it without the fear of the bike falling over.  I have ridden BMW’s nearly 50 years and their sidestands have been the joke of the industry the entire time.  HD jiffy stand is even superior.  The statement below taken from an add on BMW Sierra’s website, even has the mothership acknowledging the deficiency.

“BMW Motorrad USA is pleased to announce a new series of side stand foot enlargers! The small side stand foot pad on a bike is one of the most vulnerable parts. When parking in sand, gravel, or even just asphalt on a particularly hot day, that small foot pad determines whether or not you come back to a bike standing or laying on its side”

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

bandytales wrote:

Same here, never had an issue with the side stand. I do use a puck on soft ground, but have been doing that for over 45 years
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

R2K wrote: First the foot or pad is too small, and most of us have to purchase and enlarger.  Second it is difficult to deploy with boots on.  Third it doesn’t lean the bike over far enough, if you even have a slight incline on the left side of the bike it is nearly impossible to use it without the fear of the bike falling over.  I have ridden BMW’s nearly 50 years and their sidestands have been the joke of the industry the entire time.  HD jiffy stand is even superior.  The statement below taken from an add on BMW Sierra’s website, even has the mothership acknowledging the deficiency.

“BMW Motorrad USA is pleased to announce a new series of side stand foot enlargers! The small side stand foot pad on a bike is one of the most vulnerable parts. When parking in sand, gravel, or even just asphalt on a particularly hot day, that small foot pad determines whether or not you come back to a bike standing or laying on its side”

In the UK the bike leans with the camber, not against it, so the bike leans at a very good and stable angle.
Once I re-calibrated my head from the 1150RT side stand, I now no longer have a problem (ever) hooking my heel on the sidestand and flipping it down. It's good.

As to the size of the foot. I use my bike from silky smooth main roads to forest car parks and generally don't have an issue with the stand sinking. However, it has happened so an enlarger wouldn't go amiss.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Don't think this has been mentioned as regards taller after-market screens:  when adjusted to just below your sight line,  the extra two inches or so means that the screen is at a shallower, more aerodynamic angle that a shorter screen. Saves on gas on a long tour and cuts down on the buffeting since it's not as upright as he shorter ones.  Of course, it also affords greater protection in rainy and/or cold weather when fully up;  a nice option. 

As to the side stand, I find its heel tab is too small and too near the center stand's tab, occasionally causing some difficulty getting it down on the first try.  I also agree that the angle's a bit too shallow. 
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Well my Werks 24inch screen is adjusted well below my eye line, and never gets moved. No buffeting whatsoever and clear air. As for fuel economy, I would like to see a proper trial done, but I am not that bothered about mpg as long as its reasonable.