New Bike Shopping

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
AwesomeDad

New Bike Shopping

Post by AwesomeDad »

Just wanted to drop in and say what a great forum this is. And look forward to all the great information. Short history Ive ridden close to 30yrs all different types of bikes. The longest I was on one bike was an 09 ultra classic for almost 10 years. We wanted to explore sport touring and have owned a Concours 14 for the last year. We do alot of 2up riding and man both the Mrs and I were so surprised how much better we liked the concours over the Ultra. That being said we are not trying to dial in long distance comfort. So as you can guess the RT is on the short list. As is the GT/GTL and Goldwing. I personally think the RT will be our pick due to weight as well as probably having the best protection from the elements. My only concern is my wife is susceptible to vibration so we want the smoothest ride possible. We will test ride all the models we are looking at but want some real world opinions. Again glad to be here and look forward to the comments.

JJ
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: New Bike Shopping

Post by T6pilot »

I’ve had a GS, 1600Gt and now a 15RT, by far the RT is the best for touring. My recommendation!
Jim
Jim
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

AwesomeDad wrote: Just wanted to drop in and say what a great forum this is. And look forward to all the great information. Short history Ive ridden close to 30yrs all different types of bikes. The longest I was on one bike was an 09 ultra classic for almost 10 years. We wanted to explore sport touring and have owned a Concours 14 for the last year. We do alot of 2up riding and man both the Mrs and I were so surprised how much better we liked the concours over the Ultra. That being said we are not trying to dial in long distance comfort. So as you can guess the RT is on the short list. As is the GT/GTL and Goldwing. I personally think the RT will be our pick due to weight as well as probably having the best protection from the elements. My only concern is my wife is susceptible to vibration so we want the smoothest ride possible. We will test ride all the models we are looking at but want some real world opinions. Again glad to be here and look forward to the comments.

JJ

My opinion is far less important than that of your wife. Go do the test rides with her, establish the strength and weaknesses of each machine and then come back here to check your impressions with others on this forum if required.

For example, the old Goldwing had the K1600 beat for passenger comfort - but nothing else!
Last edited by beemerboy9 on Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall
Wayne50

Post by Wayne50 »

I owned a '12 GTL for over 3 years and absolutely loved it, except for the weight. Traded it or a '13 RT and I'm very happy with the trade.  Wife likes the RT better also (but wife really doesn't do motorcycles).  The new 1250's are even better for sure.
If you have to have blistering HP then go with a GTL, but for overall cruising, particularly long distance, I feel the RT suites me better.
Having great fun on 2 wheels!!!!
AwesomeDad

Post by AwesomeDad »

Wayne50 wrote: I owned a '12 GTL for over 3 years and absolutely loved it, except for the weight. Traded it or a '13 RT and I'm very happy with the trade.  Wife likes the RT better also (but wife really doesn't do motorcycles).  The new 1250's are even better for sure.
If you have to have blistering HP then go with a GTL, but for overall cruising, particularly long distance, I feel the RT suites me better.
I plan on keeping my concours for the days I “feel the need” so hope that will fill both needs...

JJ
DavidMcK

Post by DavidMcK »

A good friend of mine decided to surprise his wife when he moved from a K16GTL to a XR1000.  Imagine his surprise when, after one week, he was told to take it back.  He now rides a R1200RT.

I am moving from a K16GT sport to a R1250RT.  I ride one up.  The K16 is an awesome bike, it is simply the best (and worst) bike I have ever had.

There are dozens of reasons why it was the best bike and at the end of the day only one reason it was the worst and that reason is that it was unreliable, it overheated and I could not trust it on European tours.

BTW I have had 3 K16's, a 2012, a 2015 and a 2017.  The 2012 bike was the most unreliable bike I have ever owned.
Attackpug

Post by Attackpug »

The new 1250 is a lot smoother than the 1200, you can’t go wrong with a RT
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Attackpug wrote: The new 1250 is a lot smoother than the 1200, you can’t go wrong with a RT

No its not. My 2017 1200 feels just as smooth as a 1250.
However, the 1250 does have a significant amount more power that the already powerful enough 1200.
Buy what feels right for you.
R2K

New Bike Shopping

Post by R2K »

I had both a K1600B and a R1250RT.  I no longer have the K1600B.  The RT for ME and I think it is a personal choice is a far Superior Motorcycle.  The RT handles effortlessly, is much more stable and provides better comfort.  The K1600 is better looking and gets more compliments, and provides more comfort for two up riding but I ride mostly solo.  Again both are wonderful motorcycles I dated the K1600 and married the RT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick B

Post by Rick B »

R2K wrote: I had both a K1600B and a R1250RT.  I no longer have the K1600B.  The RT for ME and I think it is a personal choice is a far Superior Motorcycle.  The RT handles effortlessly, is much more stable and provides better comfort.  The K1600 is better looking and gets more compliments, and provides more comfort for two up riding but I ride mostly solo.  Again both are wonderful motorcycles I dated the K1600 and married the RT.

Is the block of wood under the rear of the KB because there a bitch to get on the center stand?

R2K

Post by R2K »

Rick B wrote:
Yes Sir, it’s actually a slab of 3/4 inch plywood, but it makes a world of difference when putting the bike up on the centerstand.  I would back the bike up placing the rear wheel on the plywood then lift it up on the centerstand with ease.  I could not believe an inch helped that much.

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

bandytales wrote:
However, the 1250 does have a significant amount more power that the already powerful enough 1200.

I would also agree, my 1250 is more powerful and has no flat spots, but its not any smoother than my 2014 was. Both great bikes.
Attackpug

Post by Attackpug »

bandytales wrote:

To me it seemed smoother
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Attackpug wrote:
To me it seemed smoother

I think different people are sensitive to different frequencies of vibration, I'm more sensitive to high frequency. My 1250 seems to have more high frequency vibration than my old oil cooled 1200 and a 1200LC I hired in Canada. In terms of general vibration I think the 1250 is smooth than the oil cooled but about the same as the LC.
MrCabbage

Post by MrCabbage »

I'm also torn between K or R when I replace this Summer. Leaving aside the comments already around reliability, happy wives, etc, can anyone tell me how different the ergonomics are at all? Is there any more legroom or more upright bars? I know I can specify a bagger thingy and get forward footrests but seriously, in the UK?