Shopping for an RT in France

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Shopping for an RT in France

Post by jackronner »

I plan on buying another used RT and leaving it with a French friend between summer tours.  I've little success finding websites with used bikes listed for sale by owners.  French Craigslist is useless.  I've seen some sites that mostly list dealers and bike shops selling used bikes, but I'd like to check out private sales, too.  Any experience out there?
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: Shopping for an RT in France

Post by beemerboy9 »

Hi Jack,

I have no experience whatsoever.  But I Googled "Moto occasions Marseilles" and it came up with a couple of websites in the city of Marseilles". leboncoin.fr and puruvendu.fr might be good sites. Autoscout24.com has some bikes as well
How good is your French?  :)

Hope this helps.....

John

P.S. Let us know if you ever want to come to the UK and drive on the wrong side of the road.
Last edited by beemerboy9 on Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall
MrCabbage

Post by MrCabbage »

You may find it easier to source one in Germany or UK and move it to France. Depends how bothered you are about where the bike is registered or the hassle of re-registering. In my experience, there is much greater choice of used stock in those two countries.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Thanks, Beemerboy and MrC.  I'm fluent in French, my English is OK and my German is close to nil.  I'll check out those websites.  I remember in '71 there was a program for Americans buying a Triumph to avoid the tax if you left the UK within a week or so, but even if it's still in place I'd expect I'd have to re-register in France and pay the tax there, no?  Perhaps I'll first get an idea of used prices and range of choice in the UK, too, and buy it there and travel to Avignon.  My Mom was a Brit and I have some family in St. Albans still and also a pal with whom I could crash, so thanks for turning my mind this way.  I just wonder if (?????) Brexit will ever happen, and if that will affect the complexity and/or cost of buying in the UK but lodging the bike in France.  To that end, what websites would you suggest in the UK?  I'll certainly give you a call should I opt for the UK purchase.  I'd originally thought to buy and tour in the UK first since I've a few relatives who are getting quite old and might not be "available" for too long.  As for the "wrong" side of the road, the only problems I encountered driving a car over there was, I came to realize, that my left eye was not trained to gauge where the left side of the car was.  I felt like a new driver.  Quite unsettling!  Also, I once got so lost in London that I considered paying a taxi driver with "The Knowledge" five pounds to just lead me to the right road to Mitcham!  Hopefully, GPS will prevent a repeat of that nightmare.  Thanks for your help, chaps.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Hi Jack, I live 20 minutes drive from St.Albans!
John Bentall
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

I would not buy in the UK, if you are going to register the bike in France.  Now Brexit is more or less a done deal after the election, there could (not necessarily will) be issues in bringing it over.  Plus you will need to replace the headlight unit for driving on the other side of the road.

As an alternative, try Belgium.  It is a close neighbour of France, and there shouldn't be any issues of buying an RT and bringing it over.  There might be power restrictions in France - but that you would need to check the local legislation.

You can either buy a BMW guaranteed bike from a dealer ([size=78%]https://tweedehandsmotoren.bmw-motorrad.be/BE/suche.cshtml?id=BE&RC=fr-be[/size] This can be changed to English if you so desire.)[size=78%], or try www.2dehands.be. (Dutch version) or the French: [/size][size=78%]https://www.2ememain.be/q/bmw+1200+rt/[/size][size=78%]  This will give you the listings for a 1200RT.[/size]

Whatever you choose to do, good luck.

Best regards
Sleuth
Best regards, Sleuth
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Sleuth, dank u wel or merci bien for the guidance.  In '71 I spent a month in Ghent.  Beautiful country.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Thanks to all.  One of the sites had loads of RT's, so that's taken a load off my mind in that I'm sure I'll find a suitable bike quickly so that it won't interfere with my travel plans for this summer.