BMW Repair Manuals DVD problem

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
masegraves

BMW Repair Manuals DVD problem

Post by masegraves »

I make frequent use of the BMW Repair Manuals software to work with my 2006 BMW R1200RT. Out of nowhere yesterday, the Symantec antivirus software on my Windows computer flagged the main file "REPAIR_MANUALS.EXE" as a Heuristic Virus Risk, and deleted it from my computer. I have tried multiple times to reload the software from the DVD, and this problem happens every time. It seems as if, all of a sudden, something in this file does not look right to the Symantec program, even for the file that is on the read-only DVD which I don't think could be corrupted. Is anyone else having this problem?
Mark SegravesChicago, IL
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Re: BMW Repair Manuals DVD problem

Post by milleplod »

Never, ever had a problem with mine. Has Symantec recently updated? It seems odd that the disc's worked OK previously - have you had it a while? The Heuristic virus/Heur Invader is quite a nasty one, or so I recall reading. Have you run a virus scan? Is the disc a copy sourced from the internet?

Pete
Last edited by milleplod on Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

If you are 100% sure the file is not infected then white list it in the AV software
masegraves

Post by masegraves »

I've been running the Repair_Manuals.exe file for 4-5 months without trouble. Symantec updates its definition files all the time, including this past Friday/Saturday when the problem first showed up. For now, the fix has been to uninstall Symantec, and replace it with another antivirus program. With that done, everything is good. Thanks to everyone for their help.
Littlebriar

Post by Littlebriar »

My suggestion would be to simply uninstall the Symantec software and go with the built in Microsoft product. It's now as good as all the others and there's been plenty of issues with the 3rd party software causing real problems. They simply can't get the access to the operating system that the mothership has and therefore must use all kinds of tricks to work. Those tricks often cause problems. Check out this link.
Steve
Gogs11uk

Post by Gogs11uk »

I used to use AVG free version but moved to Avast Free on the advice of a computer programmer as being one of  the best out there. His advice was to use the free version  as the paid version gave you customer support, nothing else. So been using Avast Free for quite a number of years now along with SuperAntiSpyWare. Works a treat.
Graham88

Post by Graham88 »

A heuristic detection means that the AV software thinks the file may be malicious without actually matching a specific database pattern.. it's a self learning kind of thing based on the activity of the file. Any file that performs repetitive network requests will trigger a heuristic match. I would agree with other comments out there about binning Symantec, never rated it. But this type of trigger can occur with any AV software and the reason for it is very dependant on the system and the file including of course, actual infection. All AV software that I know of will enable you to whitelist certain files and instruct the AV not to bother them.
masegraves

Post by masegraves »

Thanks. I'm required to have Symantec AV software on these computers. I have been able to whitelist Repair_Manuals.exe on Symantec, and everything is working fine.
Graham88 wrote:A heuristic detection means that the AV software thinks the file may be malicious without actually matching a specific database pattern.. it's a self learning kind of thing based on the activity of the file. Any file that performs repetitive network requests will trigger a heuristic match. I would agree with other comments out there about binning Symantec, never rated it. But this type of trigger can occur with any AV software and the reason for it is very dependant on the system and the file including of course, actual infection. All AV software that I know of will enable you to whitelist certain files and instruct the AV not to bother them.