Wanted handlebar to handgrip bolts

Looking to buy a BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or just after some parts and accessories?
Murchadh
United States of America

Wanted handlebar to handgrip bolts

Post by Murchadh »

when I bought my bike it was fitted with Ilium handlebar risers. I want to take them off, but I need the original bolts that go from the main part of the handlebars into the hand grips, that is from the inside outward. Anyone have a set?
ICE

Re: Wanted handlebar to handgrip bolts

Post by ICE »

I'm a tall rider and have been considering getting the Ilium extensions.  However, I am also a bit reluctant to make the move to these because it took me the last couple of years to get used to this bike's steering - it isn't a linear progression through a turn. I would like to inquire why you are interested in getting rid of them. In the meantime, I will research what bolts you would need and see what I can find for solutions/sources.
Murchadh
United States of America

Post by Murchadh »

Actually i don't necessarily want to get rid of them, but i would like to try the bike without them. I have been very happy with them.  They give you a very upright position which is comfortable. I love adjusting and trying different positions, etc. i would recommend them, especially if you are tall. if you know where i could get those bolts i'd be grateful. You can't buy them from BMW without buying the whole handlebar kit, which is very annoying.
ICE

Post by ICE »

That is good to hear about the extenders. Let me see what I can do. It may take time, but I won't forget. Have you tried test riding one from a lot?

Your bike is a 2016?
Last edited by ICE on Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Murchadh
United States of America

Post by Murchadh »

It's a 2016. I have test ridden them, but I need to have it for a while to really get a feel for it. Knowing me I'll probably end up using the risers again! I opened up the engine a few days ago and got it up to 125 mph, just for a few seconds. It's an impressive bike!
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I've considered risers, but at 5ft 8in I don't think they would make any difference to me. I don't find the bike uncomfortable and am on my second now. But I guess the idea of trying them is always at the back of my mind. One thing though, if you fit risers, your seating position changes and it puts pressure on different parts of your rear :)

Not sure where your located but if in the UK, try Sherlocks who are BMW breakers or possibly Motorworks.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The top handle bar bolt is M10, length unknown. Perhaps someone could remove theirs and measure it.
Would have to check the pitch of the thread too, will be the same as the 80mm long Ilium one.

This video at 2:24 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K0F3cAJ6Q shows the original bolt is a socket capscrew something like this.

Last edited by David. on Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looks like Motorworks only sell the complete Top yoke and handlebar assembly, https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop ... 0&spPage=1
Last edited by David. on Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ICE

Post by ICE »

I found this - look at the second post by bobbybob:  https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/2 ... arr1200rt/
Still waiting on word from an "insider".

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

ICE wrote:I found this - look at the second post by bobbybob.
Look at the date it was posted (2007) and which RT it's for (Hexhead)!
Last edited by David. on Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.