Question :- can anyone please tell me how to switch off my headlights ?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
gogs01

Re: Question :- can anyone please tell me how to switch off my headlights ?

Post by gogs01 »

Switching off lights to save the cost and effort of replacing them doesn't seem to me like a wise move. 

If the concern is that they may fail at an inconvenient time / place, then I would suggest replacing them annually at a convenient time as a preventative measure. They normally last at least two years for me, but I wouldn't worry about a few pounds (or dollars) over a year.  If you want to halve that small cost you could replace left one year and right the next. That way they are almost guaranteed not to fail, and certainly not at the same time ..... and one light might prevent a SMIDSY.

As a matter of interest, the post-2014 RTs have one dipped beam and two main beams. Why BMW made that change I will never understand, but most also come with LED daytime running lights, so none of the H7 bulbs have to do much work.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Thanks, Dave. So I guess it's just the arrangement of the back mirrors that intensifies the beam.  Now I can throw out the old bulbs.  Plus, I've put in an LED high beam already.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

gogs01 wrote:Why BMW made that change I will never understand, but most also come with LED daytime running lights.
Perhaps BMW have done there accident investigation analysis and concluded that DRL's are safer than dipped beam.

From the Rider's Manual, "By comparison with the low-beam headlight, the daytime running light makes the vehicle more visible to oncoming traffic. This improves daytime visibility."

Is it correct that the DRL's can be manually switched off in favour of the dipped beam, therefore giving the rider control of personal choice.

Or more likely due to EU legislation, https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ing-lights

"Motorcycles do not currently require DRL to be fitted, but most manufacturers voluntarily opt for an AHO (Automatic Headlight On) system to be installed as an alternative. Changes to European legislation will, in future permit manufacturers to fit DRL on their motorcycles."

"Drivers of vehicles that are not fitted with DRL are not required to turn on their headlamps or position lamps during the day unless visibility is very poor. However some European member states do require some form of lighting during the day so if you travel abroad and do not have DRL fitted you may be obliged to drive with your headlamps on."
Last edited by David. on Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

[size=0px]From the Rider's Manual, [/size][size=0px]"By comparison with the low-beam headlight, the daytime running light makes the vehicle more visible to oncoming traffic. This improves daytime visibility."[/size]
I think the "angel eyes" LED daytime running lights are quite visible but one riding companion I have followed for many miles says he can't see them in his mirrors and asks me to switch to dipped beam.

[size=0px]"Motorcycles do not currently require DRL to be fitted, but most manufacturers voluntarily opt for an AHO (Automatic Headlight On) system to be installed as an alternative. Changes to European legislation will, in future permit manufacturers to fit DRL on their motorcycles."[/size]
My bike will automatically replace the DRLs with dipped beam in low light conditions (night, tunnels etc) or I can select dipped beam which default to DRLs at the next ignition off / on.

[size=0px]"Drivers of vehicles that are not fitted with DRL are not required to turn on their headlamps or position lamps during the day unless visibility is very poor. However some European member states do require some form of lighting during the day so if you travel abroad and do not have DRL fitted you may be obliged to drive with your headlamps on."[/size]
DRLs seem to be acceptable in all the Europen countries I have travelled in, but if you don't have them, you will be required to have dipped beam on at all times.

I still don't think it makes sense to have one dipped beam bulb and two mains - a failure of the one dipped while travelling at night gives you no choice but to go to (two) main beams, which is liable to confuse (or blind) oncoming drivers. A failure on my previous RT would (and did !) leave me with one working dipped beam, which is perfectly adequate to continue your journey until the bulb can be replaced.

As a side issue, I discovered that if the 2014 - 2018 RTs are specified without DRLs they still come with one dip and two main.  If / when the dipped beam bulb blows, the bike automatically switches on one main beam. I have still to confirm that this applies to bikes like mine which have the DRLs.  I don't do very much riding in the dark, so I don't expect to find out any time soon .....
[size=0px]
[/size]
[size=0px]
[/size]
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

gogs01 wrote:I still don't think it makes sense to have one dipped beam bulb and two mains - a failure of the one dipped while travelling at night gives you no choice but to go to (two) main beams, which is liable to confuse (or blind) oncoming drivers. A failure on my previous RT would (and did !) leave me with one working dipped beam, which is perfectly adequate to continue your journey until the bulb can be replaced.
It's called progress!
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

David. wrote: It's called progress! 
It is, of course !  ;D

In all seriousness, I'm very impressed with the technology built into the modern BMW which tries to cover all eventualities and keep us safe, and that includes switching on or switching over lights.

But -
I still can't fathom the switch to one dip and two main !    ???

By the way, has anybody heard from the OP  (Copmeister). ?  I wonder if we've helped him ?

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

gogs01 wrote:I still can't fathom the switch to one dip and two main.
Perhaps the procedure for replacing the high beam bulb has something to do with it. The speaker cover & speaker unit need to be removed to access the bulb.
bushbikie

Post by bushbikie »

gogs01 wrote: [size=0px]As a side issue, I discovered that if the 2014 - 2018 RTs are specified without DRLs they still come with one dip and two main.  If / when the dipped beam bulb blows, the bike automatically switches on one main beam. I have still to confirm that this applies to bikes like mine which have the DRLs.  I don't do very much riding in the dark, so I don't expect to find out any time soon .....
[size=0px]
[/size]
[size=0px]
[/size]
I've blown a low (dip) beam on my Australian delivered 2016 RT with DRL and the DRL's continued to work as they should in high ambient light. In low light the blown low beam caused the bike to energise one only high beam light, but at reduced power. I think I read somewhere around 50%. HOWEVER, it is still a high beam light and the beam is STILL at a higher angle than the low beam! You WILL get blasted by on-coming vehicles thinking you are a jerk for not dipping your lights. NOT SAFE, MR.BMW!![emoji49][emoji49]

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk
Last edited by bushbikie on Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 San Marino Blue
bushbikie

Post by bushbikie »

David. wrote: Perhaps the procedure for replacing the high beam bulb has something to do with it. The speaker cover & speaker unit need to be removed to access the bulb.
And you have to be a contortionist with eyes at the end of your fingers to replace the low beam bulb, unless you feel like removing/replacing the windscreen/headlight assy. Really??

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

2016 San Marino Blue