Protective film

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Erable

Protective film

Post by Erable »

Has anyone tried protective film on their RT?  I read a post on this forum and "The Tankslapper" was mentioned - https://thetankslapper.biz/ .  I'm tempted, but really don't know which of the three options to pick (obviously a gloss option, so it would be one out of two options: Xpel Ultimate or Scotchguard Pro) nor how well they work.

I have the Wunderlich tank protectors already so this is really for the front end and specifically the headlight - thoughts ?  Thanks all, and love this forum.

https://thetankslapper.biz/r1200rt-total-protection-kit-2014-2019/

Rich
2015 R1200RT
1995 R1100RS
1987 R80RT

Rich
RC51 Tofuman

Re: Protective film

Post by RC51 Tofuman »

Where are you located?
I had my RT done......by a local guy can do custom cuts if needed

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Erable

Post by Erable »

Victoria BC Canada.  Snow today (20cm...) - the mbike is safely in the garage (sigh).

Do you know what brand/material he used - are you happy with the results?  Thanks
Rich
RC51 Tofuman

Post by RC51 Tofuman »

Saddle bag lids
Gas tank where your legs/knees
The painted body panel underneath tank

I think some was precut and he free handed the Others.

I think he used Expel

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Erable wrote:
Do you know what brand/material he used - are you happy with the results?  Thanks

I used the tankslapperz kit. I chose the most expensive option (can't remember which one it was). All the parts were nicely cut and all were glossy finished where the bike is glossy and satin finished where the bike is satin finished.

For the most part the kit was straightforward to fit. I would add that I trimmed about 3mm from the edges of every part to achieve a better (IMO) finish. I found that the edges were prone to lifting if the transparencies were not trimmed back.

A few tips for successful installation.
1/. Ensure you have plenty of time. Don't rush it.
2/. Don't just 'make-do'. Get it right.
3/. Have a fine tipped NON permanent marker pen on hand to mark up any of the clear film that you feel may need tweaking.
4/. Have some really sharp scalpels, knives and scissors on hand for trimming the film if you feel you need to.
5/. Use a hair dryer to help form the sheeting over the more complex compound curves such as the headlight and front mudguard.
6/. Work in a warm environment and make sure the plastic film is warm (to make it more pliable and stretchy).
7/. Ensure the bike and the working area is spotless and as dust free as possible (especially the bike).
8/. Make sure you have plenty of the application fluid made up.
9/. Use lots of it.
10/. Keep your hands and the panels wet.

PeteM

Post by PeteM »

I had paint protection fitted from new, pretty sure it was Amourfend but not 100%. The shop I bought the bike from arranged it with a guy near them that usually fits to Ferraris, Lambos etc. Because the bike is part gloss and part matte (It is Mars Red/Dark Slate) he was a bit worried about doing it. Apparently the matte film can go a bit discoloured after a few years so what he has done it covered the matte bit at the back of the tank when it is likely to rub but left the top part of the fairing. So far looks good.

On my old bike I fitted it myself to the panniers which was well worth it as is was covered in scuffs from my wife getting on and off but none of them were down to the paint work.
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

Ventureshied made by 3M is the stuff you want.  They make bespoke kits for the RT and I had it applied to mine from new.  It covers the leading edges and anywhere that may rub, like footrest mounts etc.  At 7 years old the paintwork on my machine is unmarked.   
Erable

Post by Erable »

Thanks all - I gave Lucas at "The Tankslapper" a call yesterday - he was very, very helpful.  Bottom line is that I'm going to order the "R1200RT Total Protection Kit Extended Coverage", plus the "R1200RT 54-Liter Top Case Protection Kit" in Scotchgard Pro (gloss), based on customer service from Lucas and a YouTube video comparing Scotchgard Pro with a few other offerings.  I'll have to look into Ventureshield and Armourfend for a few other projects - maybe one of my other motorbikes!

For bandytales: thanks for your installation tips - very helpful.

Rich
2015 R1200RT
1995 R1100RS
1987 R80RT
Rich
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

MEM62 wrote: Ventureshied made by 3M is the stuff you want.  They make bespoke kits for the RT and I had it applied to mine from new.  It covers the leading edges and anywhere that may rub, like footrest mounts etc.  At 7 years old the paintwork on my machine is unmarked. 
All the quality protective films are up to the task. They will all protect your paintwork and provide years of service. The important thing is actually getting a kit and installing it. We could go round in circles debating which is the best one, but the bottom line is...do it. I chose The Tankslapperz kit because of the amount of panels that got protection. My only criticism is that they are based in the USA not the UK (for support reasons).

beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

bandytales wrote: All the quality protective films are up to the task.

Aye, there's the rub.  I was shown how a supposedly quality film that started to delaminate when pulled tight around a curvature in the bodywork.

To be fair, it would be undetectable to the average person unless they knew how to look. To the fitting guru who covers my bikes, it stands out a mile.

Good luck with the install.
John Bentall