Started right up after 5 months!!

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Started right up after 5 months!!

Post by jackronner »

What a machine.  Recovered my  stolen then abandoned 2005 RT after three months (they snipped the battery cables), then another two months dormant waiting (still) to resolve an insurance claim.  New battery spliced in and started up on the second try and ran smooth.  It reminded me of the hilarious scene in Woody Allen's "Sleeper", when he happens upon a VW Beetle that's been in a cave for 200 years - and it starts right up.  Audience exploded in laughter, and VW must have loved the publicity.  Could have been my bike!
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Started right up after 5 months!!

Post by David. »

I have the same to look forward to every year with my 2012 TC. It is tucked away for 5 months between November to March inclusive. On 1st March I take out a monthly BMW Insured Warranty. Therefore, when I push the start button on 1st April, if it doesn't work I ring BMW. So far, over the last 5 years, it's not failed me. The battery is occasionally put on the trickle charger but always goes to fully charged after a very short period of time. Just before 1st April, I'd probably leave the battery on charge a bit longer.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

David,  I assume that you let it run from time to time. This bike hadn't been turned on the whole five months and left outdoors.  BTW, Don't be mad, but in Northern California I'm pretty much 365 - haven't had a car in 11 years - so I've never had to deal with dealing with a long layoff, even a trickle charger.  The downside is that I'm pretty much a captive of California:  Hardly any unrideable weather, and it's the only State that permits white-lining/filtering. Biker heaven.  Enjoy pushing that button on the first of April, though I don't think your anybody's April Fool.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

jackronner wrote:I assume that you let it run from time to time.
No, it's serviced / decommissioned, not started and kept in a brick built garage.
Last edited by David. on Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
heathy65

Post by heathy65 »

mothballing a bike here in the UK for 5 months? Hells bells, think of all the glorious riding days he's missing out on. Only thing that keeps me off the road is snow and ice.
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

David. wrote: No, it's serviced / decommissioned, not started and kept in a brick built garage.
+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:I have the same to look forward to every year with my 2012 TC. It is tucked away for 5 months between November to March inclusive. On 1st March I take out a monthly BMW Insured Warranty. Therefore, when I push the start button on 1st April, if it doesn't work I ring BMW. So far, over the last 5 years, it's not failed me. The battery is occasionally put on the trickle charger but always goes to fully charged after a very short period of time. Just before 1st April, I'd probably leave the battery on charge a bit longer.
Well, I'm pleased to be able to report that after 5 months, the RT fired up first time today without any problems.

Ran it at idle until the "tick" symbol was shown where - - - appears next to "Oil" in the photo. The engine needs to be at operating temperature for this to happen.

Last edited by David. on Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Mine as well. Went away October, fired it up last week. Had fuel saver in and full tank.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Last October, I didn't put fuel stabilizer in a full tank. Therefore, the bike was good to go without it. However, one of the reasons for starting it was because I don't know how much longer the bike will be stood without riding it. Plus, have now added some fuel stabilizer and wanted to get it through the fuel system, not just sat in the tank. Notwithstanding the warranty start date of today.
Last edited by David. on Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Out for some essentials this afternoon  👍[attachimg=1]
Sausage, egg  & chips for tea  😀
Attachments
20200401_140149.jpg
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

smileymiley wrote: Out for some essentials this afternoon  👍[attachimg=1]
Sausage, egg  & chips for tea  😀

How do you get it to run on those potatoes ?  :))
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Beagle wrote:
How do you get it to run on those potatoes ?  :) )
That's for the moonshine later  😱👍Well you've got to do something to keep busy 😀
It's  a shame not being able to get out more at the moment as petrol at Costco is only 99.9p / litre!
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Fired the RT up today after being laid up for 5 months. Unlike previous years, it did take several attempts before it started, probably around half a dozen.