Meaning of SE

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
R2K

Meaning of SE

Post by R2K »

When folks add SE after RT in example R1250RT SE. What does the SE designation mean?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Re: Meaning of SE

Post by MikeS »

Haven't got a clue. If I was was asked to guess I would say Special Equipment or let's add a few quid to the price (in German).
Last edited by MikeS on Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Within the current R 1250 RT line up, there are three model variants, R 1250 RT, R 1250 RT SE and R 1250 RT LE, their specifications differ,
https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/model ... l-variants
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Not many buy the basic or SE. Think about resale. We use SE and Basic for Blood bikes, no luxuries
R2K

Post by R2K »

Thanks for all of the replies they were helpful.  It still begs the question if RT is an abbreviation for Road Touring. What does the abbreviation SE and LE translate to?

beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

R2K wrote: Thanks for all of the replies they were helpful.  It still begs the question if RT is an abbreviation for Road Touring. What does the abbreviation SE and LE translate to?

R2K, from your profile I cannot tell what country or continent you are in, so I'll give you a UK answer.

In the UK, we have had a company car system for many years. People with company cars used to measure their "success" by the trim levels of their cars, so we had Ford Cortina L (for Luxury),XL (Xtra Luxury),GT (Grand Touring) and GXL (Grand Xtra Luxury).

BMW UK decided to introduce this system to bikes and it has been hugely successful, with the same "bragging rights" attributed to the various trim levels. In the UK the top spec LE is the best selling by far, same for the GS's. I won't speculate on the reasons for this.

If you go onto the German BMW website, you will see that here are some colour options which have names such as Sport (the red one),Elegance (camo Manhattan metallic green) and there are no equipment levels. That's right, no SE and no LE. The Germans buy a basic bike and add the options they want, and they buy their cars exactly the same way.

So you need to ask BMW UK what the assignations mean, since it is they who have invented them for marketing purposes. I like to call them Special Equipment and Luxury Equipment, but I might very well be completely wrong. David could be right in calling them "why don't you spend a bit more money" designations.
Last edited by beemerboy9 on Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall
R2K

Post by R2K »

beemerboy9 wrote:
R2K, from your profile I cannot tell what country or continent you are in, so I'll give you a UK answer.

In the UK, we have had a company car system for many years. People with company cars used to measure their "success" by the trim levels of their cars, so we had Ford Cortina L (for Luxury),XL (Xtra Luxury),GT (Grand Touring) and GXL (Grand Xtra Luxury).

BMW UK decided to introduce this system to bikes and it has been hugely successful, with the same "bragging rights" attributed to the various trim levels. In the UK the top spec LE is the best selling by far, same for the GS's. I won't speculate on the reasons for this.

If you go onto the German BMW website, you will see that here are some colour options which have names such as Sport (the red one),Elegance (camo Manhattan metallic green) and there are no equipment levels. That's right, no SE and no LE. The Germans buy a basic bike and add the options they want, and they buy their cars exactly the same way.

So you need to ask BMW UK what the assignations mean, since it is they who have invented them for marketing purposes. I like to call them Special Equipment and Luxury Equipment, but I might very well be completely wrong. David could be right in calling them "why don't you spend a bit more money" designations.
Thank you, that helps.  I am located in the US and the designations must European. 

beemerboy9
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Hi R2K,

In the USA you get either a base model or the Select package ,which has every option going. The Select pack sits above our LE spec level because it includes the radio and auxiliary lights.

The dealers only have Select models in stock or the order pipeline, right?
John Bentall
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

I agree its mind boggling if the RTLE is supposedly the luxury edition how come it does not come with audio ? BMW should give you the option of accessories when you are spending that amount of cash .
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

You can keep £1ooo radio and all associated connection hassle. Just saying! :eggs:  would have liked glove box though. :whistle:
beemerboy9
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

BoB21 wrote: You can keep £1ooo radio and all associated connection hassle. Just saying! :eggs:  would have liked glove box though. :whistle:

I understand your point.  My first RT, the 1100, had a radio-cassette player when I bought it second hand and I've not been able to resist them since because I really like listening to the radio. The CD player on the '05 RT was pretty hopeless though.
On this one being able to display and change stations on the DAB radio from the wonderwheel is great.

John Bentall
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

BoB21 wrote: You can keep £1ooo radio and all associated connection hassle. Just saying! :eggs:  would have liked glove box though. :whistle:

I like my radio. Glove box? There is no room. However, once the loudspeakers are removed, there is a huge space (which I use), but would be even better if the covers were hinged and lockable as opposed to the 2 x Torx screws.
R2K

Post by R2K »

beemerboy9 wrote: Hi R2K,

In the USA you get either a base model or the Select package ,which has every option going. The Select pack sits above our LE spec level because it includes the radio and auxiliary lights.

The dealers only have Select models in stock or the order pipeline, right?
I think you are correct, most RT’s come with all the options in the US.  I have a 719 with the sport wheels.