Denali

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Denali

Post by hammo »

Hi again ,
            I am looking to purchase a Denali rear LED light for more safety , as i do not want to tamper with my RTLE 2018  electrics can anyone recommend the best system to just plug in ie: cansmart ? is it as easy as the companies state to fit one ? many thanks . :vader:
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Denali

Post by Casbar »

If you just want plug and play, then Cansmart. That is what I have fitted on my bike. But before I bought that, I ran Skene P3 lights, that just tap into your existing wires. Dead easy and a lot cheaper than a Cansmart just to run a rear light.
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Many thanks , i will give Skeene a go .
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

It is  basically the same, but if you are using Denali kit, the Cansmart is plug and play, Ezcan isn't you need to splice wires onto the unit.
dleasman

Post by dleasman »

hammo wrote: Hi again ,
            I am looking to purchase a Denali rear LED light for more safety , as i do not want to tamper with my RTLE 2018  electrics can anyone recommend the best system to just plug in ie: cansmart ? is it as easy as the companies state to fit one ? many thanks . :vader:

I was wanting the exact same thing for my 2014 RT. I went with the Denali B6, hanging below the license plate, and the CANsmart. If you have a 2014+, my tip is to run the wire behind the license plate and drill through on the underside of that protruding area with the red reflector. I went with a hold just big enough for the connector to fit through, and then got a grommet from the hardware store, cut a slit in it, and then fit it to the hole, so it's watertight, and nearly out of site, but still looks OEM.

As long as I had the CANsmart, I also added a set of Denali lights on the front, and *might* add the SoundBomb. However, mine already has a BMW car horn in there, which is deeper and louder than the meep-meep horn.

Programming on the CANsmart is simple, and has many options. I like how it can use the bikes accelerometer to detect gear breaking and flash that rear light. Even on it's most dim setting, the B6 is super bright. I also like how I can control the driving lights with the wunderwheel and turn signal reset. Denali makes a great product, and is well worth the money. Going all Denali means no cutting or splicing anywhere! It's 100% plug and play. However, the Clearwater system with the CANopener is also good. It's really just a preference thing.
dleasman

Post by dleasman »

I have the Denali B6 rear aux brake light, controlled by the CANsmart controller. Additionally, I have a pair of DR1 lights. Everything was plug and play. No cutting, no splicing, no tapping. Everything was plug and play.

HOWEVER, I did drill one hole. It is above the rear license plate/tag, on the underside of the protruding plastic that holds that red reflector. The hole is just large enough to fit the connector of the B6 light, and I added a rubber grommet to seal it up (cutting a slot in it to get the wire in). The plastic there is surprisingly thick, so you need a grommet to accommodate the thickness. Here in the US, I got the grommet at ACE hardware, which was less than a us dollar. It looks OEM, and seals it up tight. I recommend this method, which I heard about from someone on another forum. I also highly recommend the CANsmart and B6, and there are sales and discounts to be found if you do some searching.
LAF

Post by LAF »

dleasman wrote:
I was wanting the exact same thing for my 2014 RT. I went with the Denali B6, hanging below the license plate, and the CANsmart. If you have a 2014+, my tip is to run the wire behind the license plate and drill through on the underside of that protruding area with the red reflector. I went with a hold just big enough for the connector to fit through, and then got a grommet from the hardware store, cut a slit in it, and then fit it to the hole, so it's watertight, and nearly out of site, but still looks OEM.

As long as I had the CANsmart, I also added a set of Denali lights on the front, and *might* add the SoundBomb. However, mine already has a BMW car horn in there, which is deeper and louder than the meep-meep horn.

Programming on the CANsmart is simple, and has many options. I like how it can use the bikes accelerometer to detect gear breaking and flash that rear light. Even on it's most dim setting, the B6 is super bright. I also like how I can control the driving lights with the wunderwheel and turn signal reset. Denali makes a great product, and is well worth the money. Going all Denali means no cutting or splicing anywhere! It's 100% plug and play. However, the Clearwater system with the CANopener is also good. It's really just a preference thing.
The Hex ezCAN in it's newest Generation is plug and play with Denali lights. 

It also is a huge update in channel configuration allowing it to be used for multiple items.
I use the Denali D4 lights with Amber covers and the new HEX ezCAN.  I just cant say enough about both products.
The lens of the lights allow you to configure how they direct light.  You can have the same light directed to the side of the road as side lights and also have that same light directing a spot down the road.  The lens have 2 patterns ground into it and you simply swap lens for what you want to achieve pattern wise.  You can have all 4 Cree in a tight spot down range, ow a wide beam down range, or as I said 2 down range, and 2 more to the side.  I run it this way as I live in the USA and in the State of Pennsylvania.  We have the 3rd highest incidence of dear strikes of the 50 States.

The Denali brake light is second to none and is so worth the cost to cover your 6.
I have used HEX since my 07 LT and my first GS-911.  Since then I am on my 3rd Gen of the GS-911, and my 3rd Gen of the ezCAN.
I have run the Denali for 2 years on my GS and cant say enough about thier products.  The are at a price point where a working or a modestly retired person can afford them.  They are well made, have huge features in the lens ability.
ImageRe: DenaliRe: DenaliRe: DenaliRe: Denali
ImageRe: DenaliRe: DenaliRe: Denali
ImageRe: DenaliRe: DenaliRe: DenaliRe: Denali
Last edited by LAF on Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I fit the Cansmart for the Denali lights and Innovv camera. Great piece of kit and easy install.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I'm using a Cansmart as well for my Denali lights. Its not the newest model, but is still a good bit of kit and works well. I hadn't realised Hex was now plug and play for Denali lights
LAF

Post by LAF »

Yes it is a great product for controlling various accessories on a motorcycle.  And even the Gen I of ezCAN with the right lights is great.  I ran it and a set of Rigid D4 lights and a Gen I ezCAN on my 15 RT and it was a great setup.

Yes I had to refit the connectors I had cut off the Denali lights for the ezCAN I was running when I got the newest ezCAN.  No worries at all as it is well worth the effort.

Again they just plain work and keep advancing the circuit control and function.  I love that my right (or left) driving light goes out when I use the right turn signal. I love the strobe feature that you driving light now have it such a great attention getter.  It is not infuriating like a headlight modulator, it is subtle and you can control the amount of strobe.  The deceleration brake light function rocks and the flash on stop gets the attention without it sitting there being annoying also.  3 flashes and it goes solid. If I am 1st at a stop I watch my 6 and when I see someone coming I let of and pull the brake again and it flashes 3 times to get the approaching cars attention.

And they do sometimes run some UK sales for better prices then we can get in the USA.
Cant go wrong with HEX.
Last edited by LAF on Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kunkies

Post by Kunkies »

Great thread.  I too have purchased a CANSmart controller, DR1 lights and mounts, 2 sets of DRL LEDs 1 pair amber for front lower forks and 1 pair red on each side of my license plate.  Thus far I've installed the DR1 brackets on my 2014 R1200RT LC, and wondering if anyone has any cables/wires routing tricks they used to plug everything into the CANSmart controller under the pillion.

What tuperware do I need to remove, do I need to take off the tank to route the front DR1's and amber DRL's?

Thanks in advance for any feedback
-Bob
dleasman

Post by dleasman »

Kunkies wrote: What tuperware do I need to remove, do I need to take off the tank to route the front DR1's and amber DRL's?

You should be able to install everything by only removing the right side panels. Depending on how you router your wiring, you may need to remove some of the left for the light on that side, but it depends on where and how you mount. No need to remove the tank.

For my DR1 install, I went from the CANsmart, along the top rail of the frame, and ran everything along with the power cable going to the battery. The 2 cables for the primary and secondary light just continue from there to the area where the horn is located. It's not terribly difficult. Even though I was only connecting the DR1's, I ran the secondary light line AND the aux horn line at the same time, and they are just taped up and zip tied out of the way, for now.